Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Kelly making most of opportunity

themurf

kelly092409.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

A year ago, there were whispers from folks around town wondering if the Washington Redskins had made a mistake drafting receiver Malcolm Kelly.

First, there was word from head coach Jim Zorn that Kelly and fellow rookie wide out Devin Thomas weren’t in great shape causing them to fail their initial conditioning tests. Then, nagging injuries sidelined Kelly and basically washed out any chance the rookie had of contributing in 2008.

What a difference a year makes. Kelly is now the team’s clear-cut second receiver and he had more catches against the St. Louis Rams last weekend than he did all last season. And for anyone who still might think he’s not totally committed to doing anything and everything he can to help the Redskins win, we present the following:

On the third play of the game, the Redskins faced third-and-nine from their own 26. Quarterback Jason Campbell threw a quick pass to Kelly, who was still several yards away from the first-down marker. As the defense closed in, Kelly remained determined to fight for every extra inch possible and went airborne in hopes of getting the first down (as shown in the photo above). He might not have made it, but dammit, that’s not the point.

He played the rest of the game with a wrist injury because of the play and still finished with four catches for 41 yards. Clearly, the kid is willing to do anything humanly possible to help the Redskins – even if it means occasionally falling short and getting dumped on his head.

Hey Malcolm, could you please step out of bounds next time? You’re an important piece to this offense and we kind of need you healthy.

“Naw, man,” he said. “I had to get the first down. That’s all that was on my mind, and I knew that most DBs don’t want to tackle a guy up top. So when I was going, I knew he was going to dive for my legs. But I guess I’ve got to work on my vertical a little bit, to go on ahead and get over him.”

What goes through your mind when your feet are above your head and you’re waiting to come crashing down?

“It happened so fast,” Kelly said. “As soon as I jumped up, I had one arm out like this because I was trying to reach out for the first down. Falling on my head or anything like that never really crossed my mind.”

This whole town is tired of settling for field goals. How close is this offense to having it all finally come together?

Click here for the full article.

I am wondering the same myself but im pretty thin if i start him and he flops i could lose this week....

While I think he will continue to grow and become a bigger part of the offense as the year goes on, I don't think I could bring myself to actually start him on a fantasy team yet.

Cooley? For sure. Portis. Yup. The rest of the offense? Not yet.

Once again Murf, nice work

Whatever he calls, he feels like he’s putting us in the best position to make plays. We’ve got to go with that, but right after the game, we did put it in his ear that during practice this week we’re really going to focus on that red zone. Staying after practice and things like that. We’ll get it done.”

That's what i want to hear

great picture

kelly092409.jpg

^^That picture and his quotes made me think: Learning to Fly

Has Kelly been full go in practice this week? I hope his wrist injury doesnt affect him at all. He is finially getting involved in the offense more. Just dont want to see anymore set backs.

After the Rams game, Kelly had his a small brace on his wrist and huge bags of ice on each knee. But he was quick to say that he won't be missing any time. The wrist thing happened on the third play of the game and didn't affect his catching ability against St. Louis, so he should be fine.

That picture is awesome, do you have a bigger one without the filter?

Thank you sir. This is the biggest size I've posted on the web.

While I think he will continue to grow and become a bigger part of the offense as the year goes on, I don't think I could bring myself to actually start him on a fantasy team yet.

Cooley? For sure. Portis. Yup. The rest of the offense? Not yet.

I don't know. I picked up Randel El, and I think I'm going to start him this week. I'd rather have him right now than Moss....

After the Rams game, Kelly had his a small brace on his wrist and huge bags of ice on each knee. But he was quick to say that he won't be missing any time. The wrist thing happened on the third play of the game and didn't affect his catching ability against St. Louis, so he should be fine.
Thanks for the info!!

Archived