Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shreveport Black Community Says Justice is Due Following Shooting Death

TheDiplomat

Yes I do shoot, and yes i do know its harder to shoot someone in the leg rather than dead center in the back......but he did shoot him 8 times and it just looks bad on video......like i said i have no problem with the cop putting it down if he felt threatened....it just looks bad especially to someone in there heart beleives in racial profiling or police corruption.

Not to compare, but the same thing happened in the Rodney King beating. The first 10 minutes of the film weren't aired in the media, but shown to the jury. Somewhat explaining the verdict.

I'm not suprised that BET is only showing a piece of it.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Not to compare, but the same thing happened in the Rodney King beating. The first 10 minutes of the film weren't aired in the media, but shown to the jury. Somewhat explaining the verdict.

I'm not suprised that BET is only showing a piece of it.

Personally, I agree 100%, but sadly, seeing the entire video would probably make no difference what so ever to some.

There is a certain "pre conceived" notion that some have and regardless of the facts, they will not be convinced otherwise.

It's just a massively disappointing incident emblematic of the problems this country is facing these days. Violence is all over the place, cops getting murdered all the time, and many minorities (as well as "whites") simply not trusting of cops and sometimes openly antagonistic. It leads to the creation of a hostile atmosphere, the likes we saw in that Inglewood video from 9 months ago where the young black man was pummeled and slammed into a car hood. And this time, a young black man, gestures with his cell phone in a handgun like manner (it definitely looked like it, I saw the video from begining to end), cops obviously couldn't tell what it was, but could tell that the intention wasn't good.

Couple those intentions, with disobeying of on the road instructions, and once he was pulled over, off the road instructions as well and you have a volatile situation. One wishes the Cops could have done something else. In other societal climate maybe that would be possible, even likely, but these days cops have to stay on their toes, and citizens need to have brains and understand how to handle arrests and or pulling over. In this case the man shot to death did everything conceivably wrong except fight the police or pull out a weapon and use it against the police.

I want to say what the cops did was wrong, but I also know that the cops were going with safety first, and when the man gestured with the the cellphone in his hand (at night no less) it could clearly be interpreteted to mean an aggressive, potentially life-threatening gesture. My question is, how can we get to a point where cops can be more conservative, and less deadly in their response, and how we can get people people the cops are pulling over, or arresting, less likely to do something inconceivably stupid?

I don't know the answers, I just know that this absolutely sucks.

Additionally, I'm very worried about BET, did they get only a portion of the video, or are they deliberately editorializing, and/or seeking to generate an inflammatory response to this incident? Their intentions better have been innocent, otherwise this is serious, serious cr@p that this country doesn't need.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

The cops thought that the guy had a gun and if you watch the entire video at one point he even acts like he has one. You see the cop duck down cause he thought he was going to get shot.

Also no cop in this country is trained to take non lethal shots. Cops are trained to shoot center mass (at the largest part of the body i.e. the torso ). Only TV cops shoot people in the leg. When a real cop shoots someone in the leg, it is because he missed. Can you imagine how many bystanders would get hit if the police started shooting at arms and legs.

If you want to get philosophical, you can wonder how we got to a point where cops are scared of people with cell phones, "resisting" traffic stops.

OTOH, I remember an article in LIFE some time (many years) ago. It was about police officers, and focused on all the officers who'd died in the line of duty, nationwide, in the previous year.

The #1 activity the dead officers were performing when they died: Traffic Stop.

(The most dangerous activity, in terms of the number of dead cops in relation to the number of times the cops performed this function: Domestic Disturbance.)

Reasons given why these activities are so dangerous: In both cases, the contact takes place in a place where the suspect may have weapons, but the cop isn't allowed to draw his weapon until he sees one.

Archived