Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shreveport Black Community Says Justice is Due Following Shooting Death

TheDiplomat

I'd like to know how many years the officer who shot him had been on the force and what his prior "incedents" may have been. What in the hell was the other cop doing? It looked like he was trying to know whatever was in the guys hand, out....

THis is crap that cops can get away with **** like this

that was some messed up video....

i understand that the cops would be pissed after he led them on a high-speed chase, and that him getting out of the car was incredibly stupid, but it does not justify 8 shots to the back.... even if he did have a cell phone.

Just playing devil's advocate, here, (and recognizing that the term "devil's" may fit.)

You're a police officer. A suspect has just lead you on a high-speed chase.

(Side note: I'm not one of those folks who claim these chases are the cop's fault. When a suspect initiates such a chase, the cops can't tell if he's running because he doesn't want a DUI, or because he's got two kidnapped kids in the back seat. All he knows is that the suspect thinks there's something in that car that's worth risking his life to avoid getting stopped. (And, in effect, threatening hostages, in the form of the other people on the street). At the very least, the driver of that car is a multiple fellon, simply because of the way he drove.)

The suspect then pulls into a location where there are guaranteed to be bystanders, threatens the officers with a gun (let's just pretend they weren't lieing), and begins moving towards the bystanders.

Do you:

[*]Let him reach the bystanders (and hope you can deal with whatever happens then?)

[*]Run up behind him, and attempt to physicly subdue an armed suspect (while also blocking the other officer's line of fire)?

[*]Fire (in the back, if that's the side that's facing you)?

[/list=1]

Does the fact that, the way he's walking, makes it appear that he's impaired in some way (high, drunk, brain damaged, whatever) affect your decision?

(Now, one other aspect of this, the video on that site doesn't show the "threatening cell phone". Is that because it didn't happen, or because it isn't on video, or did the web site chose a camera that didn't show it, because that way it makes the cops look worse?)

I think the police force in this town and every other town (Detroit, Cinci etc) that ****es about police profiles etc, should simply stop patrolling those neighborhoods. The residents dont like the tactics? fine and dandy. Take care of crime by yourself.

Maybe they should riot, that would help.

Easy there Kilmer. The guy was shot 8 times in the back. Don't you think that needs investigation? What if this were your son or relative? Wouldn't you want the same type of inquiry?

There is an investigation EVERY time a cop fires his weapon. That's procedure. I have no problem with it.

But calls of racism and profiling and "It's all whiteys fault" is getting old and tired. Maybe the guy should have pulled the f@#k over when the cops turned on their lights.

actually, while trying to remove my foot from my mouth, here is a link to some stills from the full video. Compiled from each cop car:

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/photogalleries/policeshootingphotos/index.shtml

You'll see that the BET video shows what is in the last 5/6 stills. What you don't see in the video is the first several snips where he points his cellphone like a gun. Holding it with two hands exactly like a gun.

A bit misleading. I'll take my foot out of my mouth when you all say it's ok......

I'm with Kilmer on this one.

When you break the law, in my opinion, you lose your rights.

If this guy ran away from the cop and grabbed someone to be used as a hostage or injured or killed an innocent bystander, how does the cop feel then?

This guy should have been shot....he was a complete idiot.....although I would think that the cops got close enough to see that he was only holding a cell phone...but still there currently are guns on the market that look like cell phones so that could have been what the cop was thinking......

What the heck is up with his pants???? They are almost down around his ankles by the end of the video.....

I know what happened here....a bunch of racist white cops...decided it would be fun to sodomize a black man........and so they pulled his pants down and he managed to get away and pull them back up and the4n realized he needed to defend himself with a cell phone/vibrator that he always carries.......

Originally posted by Larry

BTW, don't I get some kind of brownie points for not always being on the steriotypical "liberal" side?

To some, that's not possible.... If you believe in one liberal issue, you must by law agree with all of them...

I'm not sure if that was for me Kilmer, but I don't label you as anything... My experience with you has shown that you just call them as you see them, compared to me, you are more to the right, but our biggest "disagreement" is mostly over the war, other than that, I agree with you on a ton of issues.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Not to you Code, not to anyone really. I just tend to be labelled that way. Most likely because it's easier to divide the board 2 ways rather than the 10-20 different ways that would be more accurate.

True.. very true.

Right.. I have read your opinions on those issues as well. That's kind of one of the reasons I usually read what you post, you are not "across the board" on the right and I like that. I don't have a lot of respect for the "party line vote".

I couldn't get the video to load, but looking at the stills, the shooting was clearly justified. What's potentially incredibly disturbing here is if as some here have stated that the BET video is only showing the very last portion of this. Misleading to the point of being absolute SLANDER! Another case of people exploiting the race card.

Looking at those clips, the guy is pointing the cellphone just like a gun, and you can see the cop ducking down in fear, obviously afraid it is a gun. I'm surprised the cops didn't shoot him right then. Sorry, but this guy definitely asked for it. What is K17's favorite phrase.... "Ring Ring.... Darwin calling!"

I guess the most disturbing thing about the video is that the cop put 8 rounds in the guys back as he was running.....Now I didn't see the part with the cell phone, but from reading the other posts, I can see the cops justification in shooting him if he felt threatened.....My only real question is why couldn't the cop put a few rounds in his leg or non critical parts of his uppper body, to put him down, without the intent to kill him. I know the cops safety comes first in a situation like that, and would far sooner see a criminal get wasted instead of a cop......but I also see how the cop left the door open to be accused of using excessive force.

Originally posted by rdogblue

I guess the most disturbing thing about the video is that the cop put 8 rounds in the guys back as he was running.....Now I didn't see the part with the cell phone, but from reading the other posts, I can see the cops justification in shooting him if he felt threatened.....My only real question is why couldn't the cop put a few rounds in his leg or non critical parts of his uppper body, to put him down, without the intent to kill him. I know the cops safety comes first in a situation like that, and would far sooner see a criminal get wasted instead of a cop......but I also see how the cop left the door open to be accused of using excessive force.

Have you ever shot a pistol?

I'm an excellent marksman, and shooting someone in the leg is easier said than done, especially considering the heat of the moment. If you aim for the leg, which is smaller than the torso, you run an even greater risk of missing and hitting some innocent bystander.

I wasn't there, I don't know the surroundings, but again, if the cop felt that the person was armed and running away, the cop's next fear was that the person might take a hostage. Now you ask a hostage, would they prefer that the cop shoot a criminal before having the opportunity to make them a hostage?

It looks to me like this kid was wielding the CF like a gun. Judging by the officers reactions it appears as though they thought he was turning back to fire at them while running away. If he truly DID have a gun (as the officers claimed they thought) then they couldn't just shoot him in the leg. There's definately more to this than some poor black kid running down the street minding his own business and getting spontaneously gunned down in the back by roving bands of police officers.

And Larry, that was a very non-liberal post. Nice job. :silly:

Archived