Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What time should we head out?

SkinsTradition

My bro and I are coming up to the Rams game on Sunday.

I got a hotel in Reston, VA. We are staying Saturday night.

I realize it's a little far, but i got a good deal. $62 for the Hyatt Regency.

From everyone's experience, what time should we leave the hotel?

I am thinking like 10am, but I'm not sure what traffic is like on gameday.

I'm planning on parking in the cash lots and taking the shuttle once we get there.

Also, what are the best backroads to take coming from that direction?

I'd like to avoid traffic (and tolls) as much as possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Hail!:logo:

I would leave at 9 at the latest. You traveled to get there, you're going to wake up and be psyched! Leave at 8 or 9, just take the beltway, it won't be too bad and you'll be there in plenty of time to get fired up for the game. Weather is looking perfect, 73 and partly cloudy.

My bro and I are coming up to the Rams game on Sunday.

I got a hotel in Reston, VA. We are staying Saturday night.

I'm planning on parking in the cash lots and taking the shuttle once we get there.

Any help is appreciated.

Hail!:logo:

Here is where I found a hitch in your get-along..... unless something has changed in the last couple days there are no shuttles from the cash lots.

My bro and I are coming up to the Rams game on Sunday. I got a hotel in Reston, VA. We are staying Saturday night.

That's definitely a good rate for the Hyatt, right there in Reston Town Center. Mark posted a great link for the 12 Ways to FedEx. I live in the Centreville/Westfields area along the Route 28 pipeline so hopefully my routine might help.

If you're waiting until 1000 to leave, have fun with the traffic ... and that's for a normal game; plan on it being heavier for the home opener. If you can get out before 0800, you shouldn't have any issues with the Beltway. I know you want to avoid tolls but it's a straight shot using 267. From there, run 495 north across the Legion Bridge. The total distance from 267 to Arena Drive on the Beltway is 29 miles. I have rarely encounter problems early in the morning when the lots open at 0900.

The parking has changed dramatically since last year and there are no more cash lots/shuttle service on the other side of the Beltway. The only cash lot that I know of is run by the church, using what used to be the Red lots. That is your best bet and, if you can get to Arena Drive by 0730, should get a great spot in 4-A. I tailgated with Rick (ybnorml) there for the short time I had red parking.

Finally, don't be in a hurry to leave ... I almost always wait out traffic by pulling things back out and cooking an early dinner. A typical Game Day is 13 to 14 hours long but well worth it.

Hope this is of some help ... safe travels here.

cheers

Metro is about $3 each way on a Sunday (per person), and you'll have to drive and park (for free) at Vienna station. I live just south of Reston and always drive. I usually leave at 9:30 and go around the inner loop of the Beltway to pick up a buddy in Bethesda. We take the inner loop to 295 S, and exit at Landover Road (Route 202) to the stadium. That is quicker than taking the Beltway all the way around. (There are also various other short cuts you can take through MD to avoid the Beltway.) This should get us there by 11, in time for a short tailgate.

If you are doing cash parking, you will want to stay on Landover Road past the stadium (going west) and find some cash parking. There should be plenty on both sides of the road. You'll have a hefty walk but what the hell.

Meet the ES/RR crew with Special Appearance by MTH on Redskins Road at 6am! I can assure you that traffic will be minimal. :D

Wow i'd have to leave my house at 3am to get there for 6...you guys are dedicated tailgaters.....HTTR.....:eaglesuck

ps...someday i'll be on that road with you

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this thread. Y'all have given me a lot of options.

If the OP takes metro from Reston, he would start with Orange but does need to transfer to Blue as that is where the Morgan Boulevard station is.

I'm seriously considering taking the metro from Vienna. I don't mind walking and I'm not bringing any tailgate gear (if I make it to the ES tailgate I can contribute some cash).

Any downside to taking the metro?

I rode it back in April of this year and everything was good. It was Saturday. There was a big crowd getting on in the morning. But other than that, smooth sailing.

At under $10 for both of us to get there and back, my wallet is liking it a lot.

:logo: Rams Suck! Seriously... they do.

Thanks to everyone who has replied on this thread. Y'all have given me a lot of options.

I'm seriously considering taking the metro from Vienna. I don't mind walking and I'm not bringing any tailgate gear (if I make it to the ES tailgate I can contribute some cash).

Any downside to taking the metro?

I rode it back in April of this year and everything was good. It was Saturday. There was a big crowd getting on in the morning. But other than that, smooth sailing.

At under $10 for both of us to get there and back, my wallet is liking it a lot.

:logo: Rams Suck! Seriously... they do.

The only downside is that there can be long lines after the game to get on a train.

How long are we talking on the lines after the game?

30 min - 1 hr, or longer?

I think that's the way we are going anyway.

How long is the walk from Morgan blvd station to ES tailgate?

The wait at the metro station to go home depends on whether everyone leaves all at once, whether there is an event at JFK, whether the metro people decide to put in extra trains, where you sit in the stadium, how long it takes you to get out of the stadium, etc., but I'd say probably a 30 minute wait at average. Some people said there was no wait after the preseason games, but the trains should be more crowded tomorrow. Make sure you buy a fare card with enough on it to get to the stadium and back, so that you don't have to wait in the farecard line on your way home.

The walk is a mile to the stadium, then you have to walk around the stadium to the other side to the ES tailgate, another 1/3 mile or so. Should be a pleasant day for walking.

Hope you have a great experience.

From south Arlington:

As a rule, for a normal 13.00 kick-off like today's I head down to the bus stop at 10.00 - this is to budget time in case of no-show Metrobus drivers on the 16 line (a real problem at Redskins Sundays), to get a seat on Metrorail and also to avoid the security scrums as kick-off approaches.

An early arrival also gets me to FedEx in time to hear the marching band while they're still outside...nostalgic memories of the great days.

Archived