Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Clayton's First & 10: Skins/Giants #3

Oldskool

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview09/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&page=1stand10/09week1

3. Washington Redskins at New York Giants: If you are looking for a playoff sleeper, don't look past the Redskins. The schedule breaks right for them because it's the easiest in the NFC East. They play six winnable games against the Buccaneers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Lions and Rams. If they can do anything positive in division play, they could be a playoff team. The defense, which was good last season, is better with the additions of Albert Haynesworth and Brian Orakpo. Quarterback Jason Campbell looks better now that Redskins coach Jim Zorn is letting him go downfield more.

Meanwhile, Giants coach Tom Coughlin seems a little worried. He has one of the best offensive lines in football, but it has aged a little. The defensive line is just now starting to get healthy, but it hasn't had a chance to come together during the preseason. Sunday will be a big test

If this team can complete more downfield passes and make "big plays" happen, they will be leaps and bounds better than last year. I fully expect to watch playoff games with the Redskins playing this season.

with kelly stepping his game up and randle el in the slot, we should see a lot more 1v1 with moss and deep shots down field to him

They play six winnable games against the Buccaneers, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Lions and Rams.

These games scare me. All of these teams have new coaches I think except for maybe the Raiders(someone correct me on that). And that presents a new challenge because we dont know much about them and most of them we have to play in the first 6 weeks.

These games scare me. All of these teams have new coaches I think except for maybe the Raiders(someone correct me on that). And that presents a new challenge because we dont know much about them and most of them we have to play in the first 6 weeks.

By the time we play them we'll know something about them. I'd say those are really the only 6 teams in the NFL who don't have a chance at the playoffs and we get to play them all. There's no reason we shouldn't win those 6 games.

Clayton is never one to downplay the redskins' potential. To me, there is good reason for that. It's a highly competitive division, and there is no clear cut leader between the teams.

You have to expect the Giants and Skins to be more evenly matched this year than they were last year. A little bit of continuity goes a long way in this league. I'm stoked for Sunday!

If this team can complete more downfield passes and make "big plays" happen, they will be leaps and bounds better than last year. I fully expect to watch playoff games with the Redskins playing this season.

Not to bust on you, but I keep seeing in every prediction thread "IF" when someone is describing how they think the Redskins will do. Too many "ifs" for me.

And we all know how easy these gimme games have been for the Redskins. We handled the Browns and Lions last year....oh wait. Well, we beat the Niners, Bengals and Rams....oh wait. OK, 4 years ago we handled the Raiders at home when they were led by Norv Turner...wait. :doh:

Meanwhile, Giants coach Tom Coughlin seems a little worried. He has one of the best offensive lines in football, but it has aged a little. The defensive line is just now starting to get healthy, but it hasn't had a chance to come together during the preseason. Sunday will be a big test

And no other Offense line has aged a little since last year?

This is the most expirienced line in the league when talking about playing as a unit. Doesnt mean they are old. ONE lineman over the age of 30.

DIEHL 28

SUEBERT 30

OHARA 32

SNEE 27

MCKENZIE 30

BOOTH 26

BEATTY 24

WHIMPER 26

And no other Offense line has aged a little since last year?

This is the most expirienced line in the league when talking about playing as a unit. Doesnt mean they are old. ONE lineman over the age of 30.

DIEHL 28

SUEBERT 30

OHARA 32

SNEE 27

MCKENZIE 30

BOOTH 26

BEATTY 24

WHIMPER 26

Kind of odd he would mention the age of our OLine, when the average NFL Offensive Linemen plays well into their mid 30's.

Watch us lose to the Lions; they go 2-14 for the season, we make the playoffs and the media has a field day about the Lions beating us.

this would be a nightmare....oh man those 6 games are a good chance for us but the team still needs to step up and win the games by a decent margin. Not the best when we beat teams at the bottom of the league in crunch time by 3 points. Regardless, a win is a win but I would hope we can make an impact there.

Archived