Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would anyone object to THIS possible solution to the QB situation?

Coach Williams

Adding to the QB threads I propose a thought......

Since Jason is the unquestioned starter ( for now ) what is the consensus on keeping collins as the #2 , Colt as #3 and ship Chase to the PS to create an all out 3 way battle for the #2 position in TC2010?

If the skins staff were to do this, is this a NON decision, decision?

Will it possibly divide the locker room if Campbell falters?

-------

Thoughts?

I think this is probably what will happen, and I just pray that Daniel doesn't get snapped up by some other team like Marcus Mason did last year, because I think the kid shows promise.

How about this: if you're intent on keeping Brennan, put HIM on the practice squad, and keep Daniel on the roster as the #3. I don't think there's ever been much demand for Brennan in the NFL, especially now after the bad preseason showings he's put up. Plus, Daniel's the got the hot hand right now, so I think Brennan would stick on the PS better without having to worry about him being signed away.

I think this is probably what will happen, and I just pray that Daniel doesn't get snapped up by some other team like Marcus Mason did last year, because I think the kid shows promise.

How about this: if you're intent on keeping Brennan, put HIM on the practice squad, and keep Daniel on the roster as the #3. I don't think there's ever been much demand for Brennan in the NFL, especially now after the bad preseason showings he's put up. Plus, Daniel's the got the hot hand right now, so I think Brennan would stick on the PS better without having to worry about him being signed away.

This is where the problem lies.....Colt can not be placed on the practice squad.

If Chase is placed on the practice squad any team that signs him must place him on their 53 man roster for at least 3 games. Think.

Colt has to be cut. He can sign with any team. There are several teams that have not only #3`s that are not as good as Colt, there are some teams that do not have #2`s as good as Colt and there are a few teams that do not have a starter as good as Colt. Think.

Chase being placed on the practice squad this year IMO is the best option. I do not see Todd Collins on the team in 2010. Which will allow Colt and Chase the opportunity to complete for at least the #2 spot, dependent on Jason this season, in 2010.

:logo:

If Chase is placed on the practice squad any team that signs him must place him on their 53 man roster for at least 3 games. Think.

I was under the impression that he was able to be placed on the practice squad because he only served as the emergency quarterback last season, meaning he did not count against the 45-man active list. However, after further research, it seems that because he was on the 53-man roster for all 16 games, he cannot be placed on the PS. Given that knowledge,

Colt has to be cut.

I agree.

I was under the impression that he was able to be placed on the practice squad because he only served as the emergency quarterback last season, meaning he did not count against the 45-man active list. However, after further research, it seems that because he was on the 53-man roster for all 16 games, he cannot be placed on the PS. Given that knowledge,

I agree.

See that is all you had to say.....Cut Colt Brennan.... I do not agree.

:logo:

The situation described by the OP is almost certainly the probable outcome of the final cuts. I don't think you can cut Colt Brennan. If you want to keep Chase Daniel, it should be at the expense of Todd Collins's spot. I don't understand what all the fuss is about concerning making sure to keep a soon to be 38 QB on the roster who isn't even slated to start. If the Skins think they really have something in Daniel, then it should be Collins's roster spot that they are talking about using to keep him, not Colt's.

Even if Collins is the better #2 right now, IMO when you're talking about backups, you should be keeping the guys with upside. Even as good as Collins has been, he has no future as a starter with this team.

The only downside I can imagine to this line of thinking is the extremely remote chance that the defense is so incredibly dominant that we have a chance to win the Super Bowl with Collins playing the Trent Dilfer role cerca 2000 in Baltimore.

That said, it seems highly unlikely that Daniel fails to clear waivers. It is far easier to imagine us getting burned by cutting Colt than by cutting either of the other two.

I agree. Chase looks more poised right now. And head coaches, especially quarterback coaches like Zorn, likes poise. If you put Chase on the PS, a NFL squad will grab him. Look at New England.... they would love to have Chase. Brennan... maybe not.

The situation described by the OP is almost certainly the probable outcome of the final cuts. I don't think you can cut Colt Brennan. If you want to keep Chase Daniel, it should be at the expense of Todd Collins's spot. I don't understand what all the fuss is about concerning making sure to keep a soon to be 38 QB on the roster who isn't even slated to start. If the Skins think they really have something in Daniel, then it should be Collins's roster spot that they are talking about using to keep him, not Colt's.

Even if Collins is the better #2 right now, IMO when you're talking about backups, you should be keeping the guys with upside. Even as good as Collins has been, he has no future as a starter with this team.

The only downside I can imagine to this line of thinking is the extremely remote chance that the defense is so incredibly dominant that we have a chance to win the Super Bowl with Collins playing the Trent Dilfer role cerca 2000 in Baltimore.

That said, it seems highly unlikely that Daniel fails to clear waivers. It is far easier to imagine us getting burned by cutting Colt than by cutting either of the other two.

You don't keep Collins at number 2 because of the future.... You keep him because of right now. He's the number 2 right now... in case Jason goes down... he can help us win, right now. "Getting burned by cutting Colt"? Who is going to go after Colt?? New York Giants? Philadelphia? Cowboys?

Who exactly is going after Brennan?

You don't keep Collins at number 2 because of the future.... You keep him because of right now. He's the number 2 right now... in case Jason goes down... he can help us win, right now. "Getting burned by cutting Colt"? Who is going to go after Colt?? New York Giants? Philadelphia? Cowboys?

Who exactly is going after Brennan?

Agreed on all counts. Cutting Collins is NOT the answer. If Jason Campbell goes down for the season in Week 1, neither Daniel nor Brennan is the answer for the rest of the season.

Most teams do not have the luxury of a solid, proven, veteran backup at the #2 spot. Keeping him for the time being and developing one of the other guys is the most prudent decision, for both the present and future.

Amazing. What organizations are lusting after Colt? May the best QB win the last 3 spot. And as it stands now, Chase should get that spot. Like JC, Todd Collins has his spot on lockdown. If JC went down, you have a vet in TC. If TC went down, Chase has shown more poise at the QB position than Colt. JMO.

Cut Colt, he's never going to be starting material. Keep Daniels. End of discussion

Hate to say this ... But, if Colt can't make it ... In all likelihood neither will Chase Daniels.

Chase maybe hot against 3rd string defenses as was Colt last year. Chase has an okay arm, and is accurate. He still in a work in progress and far from being ready for being game ready. The fact that he is not even 6' tall does come into play as well.

Other than Doug Flutie no short QB has been successful in the NFL.

I'm not saying that Collins should be cut. I also know that we're keeping him for "right now." I'm just saying if we really a. think we have something in Daniel, b. don't think he will clear waivers, that we should cut Collins before Colt.

If I honestly believed that this team was a real contender this year with Todd Collins at QB, then by all means, we wouldn't consider cutting him. I just don't think we're that team right now, certainly not with a 38 year old career backup QB.

Colt will not clear waivers. Denver will claim him. Chris Simms is out 2-4 weeks and the extent of Kyle Orton's finger injury is not yet known. That leaves them with a 7th round rookie QB starting week one if Orton's finger is messed up badly. They will take a flier on Brennan if he becomes available. Daniel is just far less likely to garner the same kind of interest given his extremely small body of work thus far.

My opinion is that the best option for this team is definitely to keep Collins and Colt at the expense of Daniel, but if Daniel is really a guy we want to make the roster it just shouldn't be at Colt's expense.

Sue me if I'm not worried about the difference between winning 8 games with Collins instead of 6 games with Colt if Campbell were to hypothetically go down.

I'm not saying that Collins should be cut. I also know that we're keeping him for "right now." I'm just saying if we really a. think we have something in Daniel, b. don't think he will clear waivers, that we should cut Collins before Colt...

Colt will not clear waivers. Denver will claim him. Chris Simms is out 2-4 weeks and the extent of Kyle Orton's finger injury is not yet known. That leaves them with a 7th round rookie QB starting week one if Orton's finger is messed up badly. They will take a flier on Brennan if he becomes available. Daniel is just far less likely to garner the same kind of interest given his extremely small body of work thus far.

My opinion is that the best option for this team is definitely to keep Collins and Colt at the expense of Daniel, but if Daniel is really a guy we want to make the roster it just shouldn't be at Colt's expense.

Honest question here: what have you seen from Colt Brennan that convinces you this is a wise strategy? What has he shown you that Chase Daniel hasn't?

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic here. I see a lot of negatives about Colt Brennan and few positives. If someone could open my eyes by saying something other than "He had a good career at Hawaii, the kid's a winner, blah blah blah," I'd really appreciate it. What has Colt Brennan put on film that's convincing so many fans that he can be a good NFL quarterback?

Archived