Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would anyone object to THIS possible solution to the QB situation?

Coach Williams

Colt made 2 throws that impressed me in the last game. The first was simply a short dumpoff to Marcus Mason that went for 11 yards. It's the kind of play that is just ho-hum on the stat sheet, but it showed some savvy that I just haven't seen from a Redskins QB in a while. Colt allowed the pass rush to get close, waited for the play to develop and delivered the screen pass in perfect rhythm. I commented to other people that Campbell has an unnatural hitch or hesitation on plays like that; he doesn't seem to be able to execute touch short passes, screens in particular, without disrupting the rhythm of the play and ruining the chances for a big gain. Ramsey had the same problem. Colt's delivery reminded me of a Drew Brees/Tony Romo sits to pee type rhythm. I'm not trying to compare him to these two, but he clearly has qualities from those type players that Campbell lacks.

The second play that impressed me was the TD, obviously. He saw the opportunity to hit on a deep ball and he didn't waste it. Unfortunately, Campbell has flat out missed every deep ball opportunity that I can remember during this preseason and often does so in games.

Is Colt going to be a great QB? I can't say. I just don't think it is time to bail on that investment and whether or not he is the better QB than Daniel, I think he is by far the less likely QB to clear waivers.

Adding to the QB threads I propose a thought......

Since Jason is the unquestioned starter ( for now ) what is the consensus on keeping collins as the #2 , Colt as #3 and ship Chase to the PS to create an all out 3 way battle for the #2 position in TC2010?

If the skins staff were to do this, is this a NON decision, decision?

Will it possibly divide the locker room if Campbell falters?

-------

Thoughts?

i think this post alludes to the fact that we will have a #1 qb in 2010 that isn't collins, brennan, or daniel.... did anyone else get that?

Colt has to be cut. He can sign with any team. There are several teams that have not only #3`s that are not as good as Colt, there are some teams that do not have #2`s as good as Colt and there are a few teams that do not have a starter as good as Colt. Think.

:logo:

Are we watching the same games? I love Colt as a developmental QB. If Zorn can fix his footwork and overall mechanics I think he can eventually become a decent QB in this league. I don't think he is better than a single starting QB in the league and I would have to look at the league's depth charts to determine if he is better than anyone's #2. My guess is he is not.

The fact is our coaches wanted him to push Collins for the #2 spot this offseason, instead he is fighting for a roster spot. To proclaim him better than starting QB's, or even backup QB's along the league is absurd.

Like I said I hope Colt sticks as the #3. I think by next season he may be far enough along to unseat Todd as the #2. Anything more than that is a stretch at best and delusional at worst.

Are we watching the same games? I love Colt as a developmental QB. If Zorn can fix his footwork and overall mechanics I think he can eventually become a decent QB in this league. I don't think he is better than a single starting QB in the league and I would have to look at the league's depth charts to determine if he is better than anyone's #2. My guess is he is not.

The fact is our coaches wanted him to push Collins for the #2 spot this offseason, instead he is fighting for a roster spot. To proclaim him better than starting QB's, or even backup QB's along the league is absurd.

Like I said I hope Colt sticks as the #3. I think by next season he may be far enough along to unseat Todd as the #2. Anything more than that is a stretch at best and delusional at worst.

Fair analysis. I think Daniel is further along, though, considering he has responded quickly to Zorn's adjustments to his mechanics. Brennan appears to have resisted change, while Daniel has embraced it and succeeded in his limited opportunities. As far as command of the playbook, I think that's a push at this point, because neither player is ready to be a real signal-caller.

Brennan's lack of progression over his first year leaves me less than optimistic for subsequent years. Daniel's progress in the past several weeks makes me think he can continue to improve. That's the main reason I think we ought to keep him instead: he's not such a "fixer-upper."

You don't keep Collins at number 2 because of the future.... You keep him because of right now. He's the number 2 right now... in case Jason goes down... he can help us win, right now. "Getting burned by cutting Colt"? Who is going to go after Colt?? New York Giants? Philadelphia? Cowboys?

Who exactly is going after Brennan?

I agree that if jason goes down Collins gives us the best chance to win a couple of games this year. But I don't feel Collins has enough left to take this team on a playoff run.

That being the case I secure the best upside in Colt and Chase. Colt has the same experience in this system that Collins has, and he has a much better arm.

Someone just has to tell him in the huddle every play that he doesn't have to carry the team, and in time with experience he can improve his decision making.

Colt and Chase will play nearly the whole game, giving them both time to show what they have. This will be a very hard decision because both can move the team up and down the field, and both look like they will end up being good QB's.

I hate to see either one of them go, especially with the age of Todd Collins. He doesn't have long at all before he's finished playing permanently. Then what do we if JC fails? That will be 2 QB's going out of here, and our 1st and 2nd string :doh:

Zorn has a lot to really consider in this decision, especially if Chase and Colt racks up points this week. I would truly love to see both these QB's play with the starting team. That would be the only way to decide which one could run this team the best.

I agree. Chase looks more poised right now. And head coaches, especially quarterback coaches like Zorn, likes poise. If you put Chase on the PS, a NFL squad will grab him. Look at New England.... they would love to have Chase. Brennan... maybe not.

I disagree, there's no way I could say that Chase is better or "Poised" than Colt from one preseason game? I think both of them are easily better than what alot other NFL teams have. It's a lose lose situation. Both will be imediately picked up regardless of who it is.

I like pie.

End of discussion.

I like turtles. :P

But in regards to the OP: That is a very original and well thought out idea. I wonder why no has considered it yet. Shame on you, ES, for not making a thread about this earlier. Shame, I say. Shame.

Archived