• Portis, Mason, Dorsey
    • Portis,Mason, Aldrige
    • Portis, Alridge, Dorsey
    • Change everyone, Alridge, Dorsey, Mason

http://www.warpathconfidential.com/?p=828

Redskins impress in loss

By John Pappas

Warpath Confidential Editor

The Washington Redskins had their most impressive outing to date this preseason in the 27-24 loss to the New England Patriots.

The offense was effective, scoring 24 points and gaining 384 total net yards against the Patriots. They hung 268 yards passing on New England and another 116 on the ground, gaining 23 first downs, and winning the time of possession battle by 6 minutes.

The defense showed some dominance, stuffing New England at times, intercepting the Patriots twice, and forcing two fumbles, one of which Washington recovered. In between however, they gave up too many penalties and big plays.

Offensively, Jason Campbell looked solid, going 13-of-22 for 209 yards and a passer rating of 90.9. Campbell had three very good series in the first half, making big plays to put the team in scoring position.

“We tried to establish ourselves a little bit more in our passing game, trying to get some underneath throws and attack downfield,” said Campbell.

Campbell and the offense got going early, on their first series. Starting at the Washington 31, the team went 69 yards in 7 plays for a touchdown. A pass interference penalty on New England got the Redskins to the 1-yard line. Marcus Mason ran the ball in to get Washington on the board first.

Click the link to read the full article...

I mat be reading too much into it, but Brady to Moss looked like if they'd kept going it would have been REAL bad.

I agree, but Carlos wasn't in there. I believe that he could've done a better job with Moss.

All in all though, a great performance by the guys. Even though it was a preseason game, I really wanted a little payback on Belichick.

Oh well, I'll settle for kicking their asses in the Superbowl! ;)

HTTR

I agree, but Carlos wasn't in there. I believe that he could've done a better job with Moss.

All in all though, a great performance by the guys. Even though it was a preseason game, I really wanted a little payback on Belichick.

Oh well, I'll settle for kicking their asses in the Superbowl! ;)

HTTR

I think Carlos would have been a better person to cover Moss too. I think he is more physical than Hall.

I think Carlos would have been a better person to cover Moss too. I think he is more physical than Hall.

Carlos is a little taller, more physical and a better man to man defender.

IMHO, if only he had Hall's hands, he would be considered a lock down corner.

HTTR

Not to be a downer but still hold tight on the o-line everybody. We saw good protection for JC when the defense ran basic packages, but when they turned up the blitzes in the second quarter the line struggled to pick them up. This is something that is still a problem. Also...the line still continues to struggle in run blocking. Keep in mind when you watch Portis and Mason...these guys are determined runners. That means that they will pick up yards when they aren't really there or they have been stopped. When you see the o-line putting helmet on helmet and mashing defenders to the ground on running plays consistently then I think we can kind of get happy. But right now...the line still has alot of work to do.

What we really saw was a change in playcalling. Jim Zorn this year has implemented a blocking scheme in which the O-line takes a single blocker and the RB's pick up whoever comes free. This is the difference you are seeing. However a change of this magnitude puts all the responsibility in Zorn's playcalling. When Zorn challenges the field mid range and deep this works. Anything under that has to be set up by a strong run effort. Kudos to the coaching staff for making the change and giving us and JC a chance.

980 radio put it plainly.

They came out and flipped the Redskins the bird..

Moss > TD

Moss > TD

thats good, lets pack it up for the next game.

I love my skins, but it would be nice to see the Packers or someone elses 3 Td's ... and were out... as opposed to .. :chair: beating that dead horse with okay stats and it "felt" good.

Archived