Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A friend hit a cougar(animal not older lady) on the freeway- W/ Pic

ljs

That sucks.

I am against the killing of any animal, regardless of population or "threat." They have just as much right, if not more, to live on this land as we do. Haven't we senselessly killed enough animals? Noy saying that was the case with this cougar, just saying in general.

I have a friend that works for Virginia's DGIF and we were talking about this very subject about a week ago. According to the DGIF, the "official" policy is there are no Cougars in VA because they were wiped out along the east coast of the US over 125 years ago. However, reported sightings of Cougars have become so numerous in an area along the southern appalachians that includes the states of NC, TN, VA, and WVA the DGIF is begining to investigate. Also, new reports show that area is growing eastward to include the piedmont regions of NC and VA.

People also have reported the color of some of these large cats were black. The problem with that is cougars can't be black in color (genetic reasons). So if these sightings are true some of these large cats are hybrids.

I have a friend that works for Virginia's DGIF and we were talking about this very subject about a week ago. According to the DGIF, the "official" policy is there are no Cougars in VA because they were wiped out along the east coast of the US over 125 years ago. However, reported sightings of Cougars have become so numerous in an area along the southern appalachians that includes the states of NC, TN, VA, and WVA the DGIF is begining to investigate. Also, new reports show that area is growing eastward to include the piedmont regions of NC and VA.

People also have reported the color of some of these large cats were black. The problem with that is cougars can't be black in color (genetic reasons). So if these sightings are true some of these large cats are hybrids.

Yeah this is how I understand the situation as well.

I think the large black cats might possibly be Jaguarundi. They don't get nearly as big as a cougar, but are often black. Who knows.

Boone is great. However it is not on the East coast. It is only in the EST Zone.

:evilg:

North Carolina is on the east coast... Boone is in NC last time I checked. It is however on the western side of the state... the state on the East coast of the US. ;)

It surely isn't in the mid west.

Well that sucks :(

There are alot more cougars in the US than most people realize. Saw a dead one on the road in the middle of Illinois farm country a couple years ago. They are also in Virginia but the state won't officially confirm it. I think they don't want to scare people.

I have a cousin that lives in Chesterfield, VA just off Rt. 711 & she has seen one in her back yard & my brother who lives in Rockbridge County, VA has seen them in the woods behind his house. Plus black bears in recent years have been seen alot more in the eastern part of the state. Alot of people around here panic when they see something like a bear or a cougar, but I actually thank it's a good thing. To me its a sign that things are going back to the way they are suppose to be. Now if poeple would just start seeing wolves.

Archived