Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn's Preseason Playcalling/Approach

darrelgreenie

We don't have to show the whole playbook, but I think we've got dive and stretch plays pretty much down pat. How about going 80% pass in the preseason to give reps and rhythm to the passing game? As optimistic as I am about this team this season, if we don't prevail then I'm looking at how Zorn handled the pre-season as a reason.

What do you want? Do you want Jason to throw for 5,000 yds during preseason, and then when they face the Giants, fail to throw for 50 yds?

See, this is BS. And Jason basically said the same. Who cares! Be ready September 13th.

And then Flacco goes up against the Steelers, and can't do ****.

My post had nothing to do with how Flacco played, it was about the fact that Cameron had thrown more passes w/ Flacco in 1 game then we have for the entire preseason.

Sept. 13th is all that I care about. Show me then. Right now, I couldn't care less. Most of the fans listen to the media. See, thats the problem. Its the same crap every preseason. Its ridiculous.

Imo the 1st team offense needs to be in rhythm heading into Sept.13 and thus far they've barely even played.

Zorn hasn't played the 1st team offense very much this preseason and therefore it unlikely that they're in sync.

I agree that some fans and media are ridiculous.

But, i think they're being ridiculous when they bash a dude that's thrown 13 passes.

Meanwhile they barely mention and don't even seem phased by the fact that our 1st team offense has probably played fewer snaps then any team in the league.

i dont understand not wanting to show your hand. Won't teams know our hand after the first half of week one? Show everything and more. Make teams game plan for the deep ball on first down every time. When they adjust to us throwing a one yard pass to Moss, go deep. Teams know what the west coast really wants to do. Dink dink dink to open up that deep ball late in the 4th. The world knows, there is nothing we can do to hide what we all already know. its best to do tons of other stuff. Fleas triple reverse half back option by Mason. The last games first series was a start. But then calling run run run timeout FG was a facepalmer.

Zorn needs to be practicing games himself. Trying to win. Trying to exploit defenses weaknesses; finding our young WR's strengths. Score touchdowns. Gain experience. Jason takes so much heat yet Zorn seems to get a get outta jail free card on a largely lifeless offense.

It appears to me that alot of teams are gameplanning or our team can't execute.

Who game plans for a preseason game? That is so ridiculous. Game plan for a bunch of players that probably won't stick around? LOL!!:doh:

Either way it would seem wise to give the starters more playing time.

I'm pretty sure JC has thrown fewer passes then any starting QB in the NFL.

How many passes do you want him to throw? I mean, is there a pass attempt championship? Who cares!!

I hear you on the second-guessing playing calling, i try not to do it myself.

But 3 straight runs in the RZ?

So! I mean, Betts had a touchdown. But instead of running hard, he danced. The hole was created by Sellers, and Betts danced.

Then calling a time out on 4th down to kick a FG?

I'm sorry but to me that's poor game management/playcalling.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Kelly/Thomas run a fade route?

Or a goalline playaction pass?

Or run the ball!!!!

I don't think we're prepared going into our 3rd preseason game.

How about being prepared against the Giants? I just don't get into all the hype about preseason. Just ask the Detriot Lions about preseason. 4-0, 0-16! I think you need to relax. You are worrying about nothing. Don't have a stroke over preseason.;) Relax my man!

Good thread.

not going for it on 4th and goal from the 2 was a horrible gutless call.

Yep. That was the worst call of the game IMO. Kicking a field goal on 4th down from the 2 yard line is an absolutely stupid thing to do in the preseason. We basically kicked an XP without scoring a touchdown. Might as well punt on 3rd down while we're at it.

I did really like the deep throw call on the first play of the game, and I always love to see a fake punt. However I have the feeling we will not be seeing much of either of those things in the regular season:rolleyes:

I know they make some people groan, but I like draw plays on 3rd down, so I was happy to see us attempt and convert on one.

My post had nothing to do with how Flacco played, it was about the fact that Cameron had thrown more passes w/ Flacco in 1 game then we have for the entire preseason.

I understand that.

Imo the 1st team offense needs to be in rhythm heading into Sept.13 and thus far they've barely even played.

Zorn hasn't played the 1st team offense very much this preseason and therefore it unlikely that they're in sync.

But if an injury to a starter happens, then the media will change its tune. We will read about how Zorn shouldn't have played the starters. So really the team is damn if you do, damn if you don't.

The offense did well against the Steelers. I look at the OL protection, and how Campbell reacts to pressure. Thats all I look at. And I'm behind Campbell, when earliar in the year, I wasn't. The first preseason did it for me. I wanted to see how Campbell set his feet, and how he looked in the pocket. He looks different. Campbell looks more comfortable in the pocket. More relaxed. But many fans don't see that. We don't know what Zorn is looking at. But everything is on tape. And the coaches study it. The fans don't.

i dont understand not wanting to show your hand. Won't teams know our hand after the first half of week one? Show everything and more. Make teams game plan for the deep ball on first down every time. When they adjust to us throwing a one yard pass to Moss, go deep. Teams know what the west coast really wants to do. Dink dink dink to open up that deep ball late in the 4th. The world knows, there is nothing we can do to hide what we all already know. its best to do tons of other stuff. Fleas triple reverse half back option by Mason. The last games first series was a start. But then calling run run run timeout FG was a facepalmer.

Zorn needs to be practicing games himself. Trying to win. Trying to exploit defenses weaknesses; finding our young WR's strengths. Score touchdowns. Gain experience. Jason takes so much heat yet Zorn seems to get a get outta jail free card on a largely lifeless offense.

Its preseason dude.

Who game plans for a preseason game? That is so ridiculous. Game plan for a bunch of players that probably won't stick around? LOL!!:doh:

How many passes do you want him to throw? I mean, is there a pass attempt championship? Who cares!!

So! I mean, Betts had a touchdown. But instead of running hard, he danced. The hole was created by Sellers, and Betts danced.

Or run the ball!!!!

How about being prepared against the Giants? I just don't get into all the hype about preseason. Just ask the Detriot Lions about preseason. 4-0, 0-16! I think you need to relax. You are worrying about nothing. Don't have a stroke over preseason.;) Relax my man!

Dude it IS preseason. Dare I think that Zorn needs more work than Samuels Portis Moss ARE Thomas and crew? Why not practice implementing a game plan? Its preseason, what can it hurt?

Zorn has a full plate and thinking he doesnt need to improve is laughable.

I don't think Zorn wants to tip his hand before the Giants game. I think it is good that he kicked a field goal. There are a limited amount of plays that you can run down there and you don't want our opponents to be able to know what we are thinking in the regular season. I am sure they practice the goaline against our defense all the time. I would go out on a limb and say that our defense is probably a pretty tough match in the goaline practice.

Spurrier went hard in the preseason as well and look where that got him.

Some of you are looking into this too much. The past couple of years we have seen teams such as the Pats and Colts go 0-4 in the preseason just to turn around and go to the SuperBowl.

I guess Belicheck doesn't know how to call a game either. He lost to the Bengals the other night 7-6. The Bengals?? How can Belicheck allow his offense to be so horrible? Brady only completed 4-8. 50%!!! But look out, this guy is going down hill fast! How idiotic does that sound??

The only reason Brady has a lot of passes this preseason was because they let him play the first half the first week to test out his knee and they are mainly a passing team. In week 2 he only threw one more pass than Campbell and then they pulled him to avoid injury.

I would rather go to the Giants game healthy and in mystery than injured and everyone knows what we are doing. A lot of times the teams that make it to the playoffs are the teams that stay healthy. We will see what we have on week 1 against the Giants.

Maskedsuperstar: I agree with a lot of things that you said, but sometimes you have to just hold it in, cause I think you are wasting your breath. I am sure I did here also, but I felt the need to say my piece. They don't call it Extremeskins for nothing.

There's nothing wrong with putting points on the board but when you have an opportunity to go on 4th and 1 at the 2 against one of the best defenses in the league, in a game that doesn't count, you have to do it. The experience is invaluable.

I totally agree.. But from a coaches standpoint sometimes you want to instill in your team that you have 3 attempts to get into the endzone. If you don't score a TD you fail.. a field goal is a failure! In the real game we wont go for it at the 2yd line on 4th down on the first drive, and we already gambled on 4th & long with the fake punt. So its more a mental thing to let them know that there is no 4th down in that scenario so get it in the endzone now!

Where are the rollouts and bootlegs?

With our running game, we should be gashing people outside the hashes on these kinds of plays.

I think that the right side of our line was the reason we didn't roll out. I don't think they trusted those guys enough to allo Campbell to get to the outside to throw it. But, I agree that those need to be incorporated somehow.

I hear Philly ran a bunch of plays with two QB's tonight. Damn, they are showing their hands; the horror! I love the approach.

Perhaps Andy wanted to get some tape on how defenses are going to play it. Maybe he wanted to show a bunch of stuff to force DC's to do lots of extra homework. Maybe he wanted his offense to get some reps against an unknowing defense.

I hope Zorn takes notice that the basic vanilla west coast is just that. A basic offense. He needs to be much more dynamic and unpredictable, and not be afraid to experiment in preseason. And not be afraid to work on our obvious deficiencies, most notably the fact that we have no #2 WR. Get Jason a bunch of reps with the candidates. Now.

I wish he went for it on 4th and goal too...but he obviously gave it consideration by calling a time out. There's a lot we don't know/consider as fans. We just gotta give him the benefit of the doubt and let it go.

even more pathetic than not going for it on 4th down, its is perplexing why or WHY are we running the ball with Betts.? Why was Zorn not taking the opportunity to practice a 2 tight end set with a throw into the endzone or even a jump ball with Kelly. I thought thats why we drafted Kelly? What in the hello is Zorn thinking by just running left and running right. Is he Joe Gibbs Junior?

Sept. 13th is all that I care about. Show me then. Right now, I couldn't care less. Most of the fans listen to the media. See, thats the problem. Its the same crap every preseason. Its ridiculous.

-If you care about Sept 13, then you might recognize that our starting players need to find some sort of rhythm before then... We aren't just going to magically gain a passing game, its something we need to work on.. And what better time to work on the passing game then during the preseason, where mistakes don't hurt your chances of making it to the playoffs

We don't have to show the whole playbook, but I think we've got dive and stretch plays pretty much down pat

LoL

How about going 80% pass in the preseason to give reps and rhythm to the passing game? As optimistic as I am about this team this season, if we don't prevail then I'm looking at how Zorn handled the pre-season as a reason.

Maybe Zorn has a plan, maybe the offense is so sharp in practice that they don't need in game reps?

Meanwhile JC takes the brunt.

After reading all of the threads about what the offense should do, here are a few statements and questions.

1. It's been a few years since Zorn has played and as everyone knows the game has change a lot as in speed and complex defenses. He needs to forget a lot of what worked when he played and adjust his game plans to fit the changes.

2. Dare to throw some (not all ) caution to the wind and be VERY aggressive in his use of the talent that he has on this team. Call the game to win or if necessary destoy emotionally the other team. This goes for the defense as well.

3. Is it possible for this to happen. I sure don't know, but it is somthing that needs to be considered by all of the coaches. Will it work? Only trying it would show the results.

We as fans deserve to have a winning season no matter what it takes and I will not single out any one player as the problem or say any one player is the savior of this team. The reason I can say this is because This is what it needs to be....A TEAM EFFORT ...... by both the players and coaches:

Question: Why the bloody hell would anyone want to show the Giants ANYTHING, formation or otherwise, that we might plan on trying inside their Red Zone?

I mean really. Use your whole brain when answering.

Why dont you use your whole brain? There's plenty of reasons to give them game film. For one, give them something to chew on. The more you show on film, the more they have to prepare for. Or, to use a Poker analogy, to set them up for a fakeout by displaying a false tendency to sucker them in on some minor hands, and then WHAM, nail 'em when it counts, using their observation of your "tendency" as weapon against them.

Bill Bellichik was once asked about staying totally vanilla in the preseason, and his response was something along the lines of its stupid for two reasons 1) pre-season is for practice and evaluation, you cant do either if you're not running any of the plays you might use in the regular season and 2) it would be a wasted oppurtunity to get inside d-coordinator's heads.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Kelly/Thomas run a fade route?

Or a goalline playaction pass?

Agreed 100% here.

All the talk of Kelly & Davis adding to our RZ potential then we run Betts to the left...and then we do it again. :doh:

Should have given one of the young kids a chance to make a play.

Look at the reaction the same play to Marko Mitchell got later in the game.

Preseason or not, that set of calls was a bit lame.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived