Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Various Sources: Giants Canty and Alford out for extended time

No Excuses

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3260

Giants coach Tom Coughlin revealed that $42 million DL Chris Canty has a tear in his hamstring.

The Giants were expecting Canty to be a major part of the their defensive line rotation when they signed him to the monster six-year deal in March. Now he can't seem to shake this hamstring problem, hasn't practiced since Aug. 7 and isn't close to getting back on the field. Jay Alford had been filling for Canty but he was carted off during Saturday's preseason game with a knee injury, the extent of which is unknown.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/23/giants-might-lose-jay-alford/

Giants DT Jay Alford suffered a torn MCL and a partially torn ACL in Saturday's preseason game.

This is worse news than the Giants expected. Alford will rehab for two weeks and then have the left knee re-examined. The once-deep Giants' defensive line is now going to be without Alford and Chris Canty for the forseeable future. For what it's worth, Alford is also the team's snapper on extra points and field goals.

Uh oh

Well this is why they have stockpiled 10,846 Defensive Linemen.

Yeah I was amazed in the offseason when they were going for Canty and Haynesworth. I was like wtf? Why would they invest hundreds of millions of dollars on a line that is already the best in the league? Especially when a boy named Hixon is their best reciever (I think. Maybe. Anyone?)

I hadn't heard much about Canty this preseason, and I'm in NY.

Is that because he's been hurt and not participating or what?

BBJ? Tom?

He's been injured since the second week of camp. Hamstring tears usually take about 6-8 weeks to recover. So at this rate, it looks like he won't be ready to go until week 1 at the earliest.

Man, a tear in the hamstring. Is it just me, or does that sound like something that would keep a guy out for more than two weeks?

That was the other guy that's 2 weeks then reeval. But optimistically... playiong with a torn MCL and partially torn ACL probably isn't a good idea.

That said, hammy tears depend on the varying grade of strain.

1st degree is something that would keep you out of a few practices, maybe a couple weeks.

2nd degree is like a partial tear... will probably mess you up for months. Might even need repair.

3rd degree you're screwed because you tore the thing in half.

Gotcha. Well, I genuinely hope the best for Canty. I think it totally sucks when injuries haunt a particular team, especially all in one area. The Eagles have had some big hits and now the Giants are having problems. I know the Skins have had rough times in the past few seasons with injuries, so we know how bad it sucks.

Man, a tear in the hamstring. Is it just me, or does that sound like something that would keep a guy out for more than two weeks?

Canty's been out of practice for a few weeks already. So if he is out of the rest of pre-season it will be 4+ weeks of rest for his hamstring.

The problem with Canty is that he needs the practice/preseason reps b/c he is switching positions.

Alford's a little bit more of a concern right now...he's been having an excellent training camp, he's ourfield goal snapper, and he's been a rock at defensive tackle.

Canty, at least he should come back at some point during the season, Alford, we just don't know.

Archived