Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aryan Nation- the reality is they are alive and well

ljs

This is the part I don't get. It seems like there is a lot of violence in the culture, not just racism. Are most skinheads violent? I get that the non racist ones don't want a bad name but does kicking teeth in really solve anything?

It is 100% about aggression.

It is 100% about aggression.

Yep pretty much, the music (ska altough it seems fun) they have a way of making the pit very rough. Hard core (sick of it all, next step up, hate breed, gut instinct) is all about letting your anger out. The pits at these two types of shows are nothing like any of the pits you would find at a Metallica concert.

If you don't like being kicked and punched you should stay out of the pit.

a matter of fact many of the original skin heads were black and from Jamaica.

For future reference, real skin heads are not "racist skin heads" which is the correct term for people mentioned in the OP.

Thank you!!!

I know lots of real skinheads and the dickwads spewing hatred are not real skins. This man, may he rest in peace, was a real skinhead:

5531-large.jpg

That's the Boss Skinhead, the Godfather of Ska, my buddy Laurel Aitken. :)

He was a great guy - I spent six weeks on tour with him and he taught me a few things about music and life.

In New England, I'd estimate that racist skins make up about 1% of the population in the region.

Yep pretty much, the music (ska altough it seems fun) they have a way of making the pit very rough. Hard core (sick of it all, next step up, hate breed, gut instinct) is all about letting your anger out. The pits at these two types of shows are nothing like any of the pits you would find at a Metallica concert.

If you don't like being kicked and punched you should stay out of the pit.

Funny - I've played hundreds of ska shows and with a very few exceptions never saw a violent pit. I think that's because there are many types of ska.

Rootsier ska or traditional ska is actually quite mellow and is more oriented towards dancing than moshing. You might be thinking of ska-core or Third Wave ska, in which case those pits are full of angry young suburbanites in ska uniform. Roll the clock back to the early '80s and the uniform would be punk or hardcore, but the kids would be the same.

By and large my experience is that skins can get irritated with skacore or third wave since it is not really all that true to the roots of the music.

Thank you!!!

I know lots of real skinheads and the dickwads spewing hatred are not real skins. This man, may he rest in peace, was a real skinhead:

That's the Boss Skinhead, the Godfather of Ska, my buddy Laurel Aitken. :)

He was a great guy - I spent six weeks on tour with him and he taught me a few things about music and life.

In New England, I'd estimate that racist skins make up about 1% of the population in the region.

As a huge fan of reggae, I have been getting into some Ska. It must have been fun touring with someone as famous as your friend. I learned my skin head history by reading "Catch a Fire the life of Bob Marley". Bob put down some pretty tight ska when he was young, did your buddy play with Bob in his early days?

Don't forget your burgandy Doc Martens and suspenders.

Haha. A band I was in played a gig in France where all these Communist skinheads (aka Redskins) kept pressing us to make a statement about how we supported the Redskins and not any other "factions."

I was laughing inside the whole time. :)

Funny - I've played hundreds of ska shows and with a very few exceptions never saw a violent pit. I think that's because there are many types of ska.

Rootsier ska or traditional ska is actually quite mellow and is more oriented towards dancing than moshing. You might be thinking of ska-core or Third Wave ska, in which case those pits are full of angry young suburbanites in ska uniform. Roll the clock back to the early '80s and the uniform would be punk or hardcore, but the kids would be the same.

By and large my experience is that skins can get irritated with skacore or third wave since it is not really all that true to the roots of the music.

To be honest I am use to seeing skins "skankin" in the pit to NYHC which usually involves translating more traditional ska dance into a violent ska dance with the punches and kicked being a lote more emphasized. Thanks for the correction.

As a huge fan of reggae, I have been getting into some Ska. It must have been fun touring with someone as famous as your friend. I learned my skin head history by reading "Catch a Fire the life of Bob Marley". Bob put down some pretty tight ska when he was young, did your buddy play with Bob in his early days?

No - Laurel came from Cuba and went to the UK where he was part of the Bluebeat movement. He was good friends with Jimmy Cliff though and we nearly got to catch up with him one night during that tour.

The same band I was in that toured with Laurel also played a lot of shows and toured with the Skatalites. If you remember from Catch a Fire, they were basically the Studio One house band. So, all the early ska hits were recorded with them backing up folks like Marley and the Wailers, Cliff, etc. The stories I heard were pretty cool, but to those guys Bob Marley was just another singer.

We also toured with Lord Tanamo, who is in my opinion one of the great ska singers. He definitely had an unusual and distinctive style, and a huge range.

I am lucky to have soaked up a lot of the music from those old guys. Unfortunately many of them have passed on.

Just another thought - check out the Rock Steady movement. Lots of great music there too. It basically marks the time when ska morphed into reggae. My favorite is Alton Ellis.

Hail

No - Laurel came from Cuba and went to the UK where he was part of the Bluebeat movement. He was good friends with Jimmy Cliff though and we nearly got to catch up with him one night during that tour.

The same band I was in that toured with Laurel also played a lot of shows and toured with the Skatalites. If you remember from Catch a Fire, they were basically the Studio One house band. So, all the early ska hits were recorded with them backing up folks like Marley and the Wailers, Cliff, etc. The stories I heard were pretty cool, but to those guys Bob Marley was just another singer.

We also toured with Lord Tanamo, who is in my opinion one of the great ska singers. He definitely had an unusual and distinctive style, and a huge range.

I am lucky to have soaked up a lot of the music from those old guys. Unfortunately many of them have passed on.

That's impressive, what is the name of your band, and have you ever played with The Pie Tasters?

You should link up some of your bands music in it's own thread for everyone to check out.

There's nothing that screams "United States of America" more than taking land, preventing free speech and the right to assemble, or advocating physical violence against people based solely on their opinions or what they look like.

Awesome.

There's nothing that screams "United States of America" more than taking land, preventing free speech and the right to assemble, or advocating physical violence against people based solely on their opinions or what they look like.

Awesome.

No one ever prevented their assembly (marches) and they got arrested for littering the other night b/c they were driving around throwing baggies w/ rocks and pamphlets into peoples yards, from the back of their truck. If they were putting them on the door, or windshields (like normal advertisements), it would be different. Its the circumstance.

And taking land...well read this little article http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009587403_apusidahoaryanstain.html

they beat up and shot at a couple black people- Butler (The Aryan leader in North Idaho) lost a judgment against him for $6.3 mil and therefore filed bankruptcy. That is how he lost the land. He's dead now anyway.

and I edited the thread title to make it more appropriate for the story- sorry to the "real" skinhead fans

No one ever prevented their assembly (marches) and they got arrested for littering the other night b/c they were driving around throwing baggies w/ rocks and pamphlets into peoples yards, from the back of their truck.

I'm sorry, I thought you said something to the effect of "at least we don't have to put up with their marches anymore." Maybe I misread.

If they were putting them on the door, or windshields (like normal advertisements), it would be different. Its the circumstance.

I agree with that entirely.

And taking land...well read this little article http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2009587403_apusidahoaryanstain.html

they beat up and shot at a couple black people- Butler (The Aryan leader in North Idaho) lost a judgment against him for $6.3 mil and therefore filed bankruptcy. That is how he lost the land. He's dead now anyway.

Again, those details weren't in the earlier post either. It was something like "their land was taken."

Having the facts, obviously I can't support someone like that. Even I'm not THAT ****ing crazy. :)

That's impressive, what is the name of your band, and have you ever played with The Pie Tasters?

You should link up some of your bands music in it's own thread for everyone to check out.

The Allstonians was that band, and I was also in Steady Earnest and was a long-term sub for Bim Skala Bim for about 1.5 years.

I've played a handful of shows with the Pietasters, but my favorite DC ska band was always The Checkered Cabs.

Short of outlawing them, which I'm pretty sure would be an unconstitional limitation of free speech and other basic rights, I don't think hate groups can ever be eradicated. There will always be a small segment of the population that feels disaffected enough to join/start them and keep them going. The good news is that they've been properly marginalized to the point where their foolishness rarely has an effect on others and when it does they're generally dealt with in criminal and civil court.

As for the rest of society, I'm hopeful that we're finally at the beginning stages anyway, of reaching a point where race is all but a non-issue.

Thurmont, MD...KKK is alive and well - not an Aryan group but the bigotry is there.

Can you prove this?

I have had customers in Thurmont for the past 5 years and have never seen a single indication of the KKK being present. Thurmont seems like a nice little quiet town with a mix of all races. I have heard about it, just never seen it, I have also heard about about KKK rallys in Hagerstown, just never read about it.

I'm sorry, I thought you said something to the effect of "at least we don't have to put up with their marches anymore." Maybe I misread.

I did say that, but they don't march b/c they chose not to. No one in the town forced them out of marching.

When Butler lost his land, which was taken after the bankruptcy, and then he died- most of his followers left as well. Most all of them were not even from this area. The few that are left have not organized a march- I think it's been a handful of years since the last one. Sorry it wasn't as clear in the OP.

Archived