Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FWST: Staubach awed by Hayes’ speed to this day

doncherry

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1520341.html

Staubach awed by Hayes’ speed to this day

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS

cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

Even before he put on the Dallas Cowboys uniform in 1969, Roger Staubach had an appreciation for how fast Bob Hayes was.

Four years earlier, before his required service in the United States Navy, Staubach had Hayes, Fred Biletnikoff, Lance Rentzel and Jack Snow as receivers in the Chicago All-Star Game vs. the Cleveland Browns. In their first practice together, Staubach was sure he had overthrown Hayes.

"I couldn’t believe it," Staubach remembered. "I just knew I had overthrown him, and I watched the ball go behind him. I said, 'Oh, my gosh, I [have] to get rid of the ball quicker.’ For a quarterback, you really had to get rid of the ball quicker when Bob was running routes. You want to put a lot of air under the ball, so the receiver can adjust to it. With Bob, you had to release it quicker to do that. It looked like you were overthrowing him, and he’d catch up to it like it was nothing. It was a total difference.

"When we were in that training camp [in Chicago in 1965], and people saw him run and the things he could do, they realized he could catch the football. He maybe didn’t have Fred Biletnikoff hands, but he was still a football player."

Staubach and Hayes became close when Staubach joined the Cowboys, which is why the Hayes family asked Staubach to present Hayes at the Pro Football Hall of Fame this weekend. They have called Staubach "Bob’s quarterback."

But Staubach said he will point out in his speech how important Don Meredith was to Hayes’ career. Four of Hayes’ best seasons — his first four seasons — came with Meredith throwing him the ball.

Hayes had 4,134 yards and 45 touchdowns in his first four seasons. He never had a 1,000-yard season with Staubach or Craig Morton at QB.

"When I was in the Navy, I watched he and Don Meredith light it up," Staubach said. "Don is my hero, too. He really built the Cowboys up."

This will be the second time Staubach has served as a presenter. He was surprised in 1990 when Tom Landry asked him.

"I’ve had a lot of thrills in my athletic life, but when [Landry] asked me personally to induct him, that was one of the biggest moments I’ve ever had," Staubach said. "I really admired him. We were fiercely competitive, and we had the common denominator of wanting to win, but I was a running quarterback, and it used to drive him crazy. And he was one of those coaches who didn’t get close to his players intentionally."

Staubach was just as honored when Hayes’ family asked him to present Hayes, who died in 2002. Staubach doesn’t have to talk as long this time. The presentations now are supplemented with a video presentation and given a time limit.

"I was nervous as heck when I did coach Landry’s," Staubach said. "It was a longer speech, because you were able to give a long talk. I didn’t want to screw it up. This one will be shorter. I’ll talk about Don Meredith as his quarterback, my time with him, and then how Bob really changed the game. I think he’d still be the fastest guy in the league today."

what were you thinking Don, someone not named TR1 posting Dallas articles......come on dude, your tryin to take his job huh????
Damn straight :silly:

This isn't a puke fan board.

The history of the pukes, except in a losing effort to the Skins, really isn't welcomed here.

But, you know that...

You puke fans really are desperate for attention aren't you?

Let me see if I can find your binky.

This isn't a puke fan board.

The history of the pukes, except in a losing effort to the Skins, really isn't welcomed here.

But, you know that...

You puke fans really are desperate for attention aren't you?

Let me see if I can find your binky.

if you got nothing to add to the topic or to the thread why bother reading it? Gee Tr1, very cranky today, Oline injures and bad QB play got you down?

Roy Williams is going to be one hell of a 4th WR for you guys.

damn Sport, that'd be great if we had three WR's better then him, unfortunately we don't...so he is going to have to pretend he is a #1...god knows im in his corner, I hope and pray he is all we need him to be, however, he cant possibly live up to the expectations that come with the trade JJ made to get him....sad but true!

damn Sport, that'd be great if we had three WR's better then him, unfortunately we don't...so he is going to have to pretend he is a #1...god knows im in his corner, I hope and pray he is all we need him to be, however, he cant possibly live up to the expectations that come with the trade JJ made to get him....sad but true!

Fair enough.

Dosen't it feel GOOD to have football right around the corner? :logo:

Please, don't post this nonsense on a Skins board.

It's cluttering up the place.

hope you enjoyed the article. I have yet to defer to you when it comes to posting. Perhaps you should simply skip the thread. As far as cluttering goes, everytime you post in this thread, it moves to the top of the page. But you already knew that, didn't you....

if you got nothing to add to the topic or to the thread why bother reading it? Gee Tr1, very cranky today, Oline injures and bad QB play got you down?

And now you're trolling.

Nothing new with you TRPB.

Good job!

hope you enjoyed the article. I have yet to defer to you when it comes to posting. Perhaps you should simply skip the thread. As far as cluttering goes, everytime you post in this thread, it moves to the top of the page. But you already knew that, didn't you....

It's been years since I've had a PBJ sandwich.

I remember putting the chunky style peanut butter on them...and I always preferred strawberry jam.

MMMmmmm....

hahahahaha

the goto TR1 card........your claaaasic!

Recently, I've gotten into salads in a big way. Yes, salads!

I love Romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, fennel, jack cheese and Newman's oil and vinegar dressing.

Simple, but very, very nice.

This is a website owned by the Washington Redskins, maintained by Redskins fans, and devoted, primarily, to Washington Redskins football. While we enjoy having visitors, we did not leave the door open hoping to have people drop by intent on changing our way of thinking. We are quite happy---some might argue "miserable"---being Redskins fans. We continue to believe that each Sunday marks a new beginning and that eventually we will return to our days of greatness. You, of course, can laugh at that notion, but if you do it here, it probably won't be taken too kindly.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking this is a friendly environment. When you are here, your screen is burgundy and gold for a very deliberate reason. We’re ExtremeSkins. Nothing about this site should suggest to you that we are interested in being all things to all football fans. We have a ton of knowledgeable fans here who know quite a bit about Washington Redskins football in particular, and the NFL in general. We do allow a certain amount of Redskins machismo here, because that is part of the Redskins experience. So please be advised that it’s likely you will encounter, from time to time, critical, disparaging and even mean-spirited statements about things related to your chosen football team. It’s what we do here. And when there is a presumption to be given, it will be given to a Redskins fan.

Do enjoy your stay here---but please make the effort to avoid letting that interfere with our ability to enjoy your stay here.

Every season we have to remind poke fans that the ATN is for Redskin fans to discuss other NFL team, not a safe haven for other team's fans to post their team's propaganda.

this thread no more belongs here than a Skins fan posting a thread about Art Monk's career highlights as a Redskin does on CZ (and don't post "it would be welcomed" nonsense because we all know that's not true)... the only difference is we won't close or delete the thread.

Every season we have to remind poke fans that the ATN is for Redskin fans to discuss other NFL team, not a safe haven for other team's fans to post their team's propaganda.

this thread no more belongs here than a Skins fan posting a thread about Art Monk's career highlights as a Redskin does on CZ (and don't post "it would be welcomed" nonsense because we all know that's not true)... the only difference is we won't close or delete the thread.

Bubba to the rescue........nice timing!

I understand the rules dude, and I get the point. Im here as a guest and I follow the rules....

You wanna know the difference between me and TR1? I actually post in the stadium and have an opinion about the Redskins!

Thanks for the update on the rules Bubba and have a great day

You wanna know the difference between me and TR1? I actually post in the stadium and have an opinion about the Redskins!

Obviously, you don't follow my every move...something most groupies wouldn't admit to.

:rotflmao:

:wtf:

http://www.extremeskins.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6603621

Even with line trouble, Campell is on fire today!

Posted By tr1

Re: Even with line trouble, Campell is on fire today!

This could be a very good year for the Skins.

What will the Negative Nancies do?

:rotflmao:

http://www.extremeskins.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6594220

The Confession of a Redskins Fan

Posted By tr1

Re: The Confession of a Redskins Fan

So, you'd embrace a murderer, bigot or all around delinquent as long as he helped us win? :doh:

I'm thinking this is going to end up in the tailgate section.

http://www.extremeskins.com/search.php?searchid=785753&pp=20&page=3

Samuels on Orakpo.."he is awesome, hes gonna be good"

Posted By tr1

Re: Samuels on Orakpo.."he is awesome, hes gonna be good"

Thank you, Nancy.

You really should watch some Skins games once in awhile.

yeah whatever :jerk:

:secret: there are other differences, but I won't embarrass you by posting them ;)

one of us knows a lot about football and its not so unbiased to see good in the game and in players..... no matter what the team it is that they are talking about and the other goes by the name TR1...that's the real difference!:chair:

Since I was PM'ed about this by another long-time member....it's pretty early in the year for this kind of shtuuf IMO :silly:...let's just relax a bit. :)

As a generality, this is not the best place for random "reflections on past greatness" or "feel good" stories about division rival teams posted by fans of those teams.

But it's also a forum where the past of other teams is sometimes featured and that would include other NFCE teams, logically tolerated up to a point of trolling or over-abundance. In this context here and now, and counting the fact that the OP is one of the most even-tempered and reasonably adult posters in the forum, it's ok. As are snarky ES/Redskin fans responses to said topic.

Now, as in the past, if ES members who are fans of rival teams start abusing thread-starting privileges, moderators will take a hand. In the meantime, while the posturing and posting-style remarks are standard ATN fare, I'd consider pacing yourselves. ;)

We have a whole season ahead. :evilg:

On the other hand, I guess this is training camp in ATN, too, and you need to warm up just like the players. :D

Feel free to report anything believed to be a real rule violation, bless you all, and thanks for coming! :laugh:

Since I was PM'ed about this by another long-time member....it's pretty early in the year for this kind of shtuuf IMO :silly:...let's just relax a bit. :)

As a generality, this is not the best place for random "reflections on past greatness" or "feel good" stories about division rival teams posted by fans of those teams.

But it's also a forum where the past of other teams is sometimes featured and that would include other NFCE teams, logically tolerated up to a point of trolling or over-abundance. In this context here and now, and counting the fact that the OP is one of the most even-tempered and reasonably adult posters in the forum, it's ok. As are snarky ES/Redskin fans responses to said topic.

Now, as in the past, if ES members who are fans of rival teams start abusing thread-starting privileges, moderators will take a hand. In the meantime, while the posturing and posting-style remarks are standard ATN fare, I'd consider pacing yourselves. ;)

We have a whole season ahead. :evilg:

On the other hand, I guess this is training camp in ATN, too, and you need to warm up just like the players. :D

Feel free to report anything believed to be a real rule violation, bless you all, and thanks for coming! :laugh:

look im not here to kiss ass, and God knows you could care less anyway, however this post and your presence is what makes this the best forum in all the land......

Archived