Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

STB21's Training Camp Recap (Day 2)

CRobi21

Day 1: http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=292731

Day 2: Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

That's probably the only way I can describe how practice went today for the offense. It's not that it was unorganized or anything, but the execution was just "sloppy, sloppy, sloppy." To be honest, I don't even think it's worth a total write up. The team seemed to follow the same practice schedule as yesterday. Warmups/stretching. Individual position drills. Special teams, offense/defense drills. Offense vs Scout team defense. 11 on 11, and then 7 on 7. There were dropped balls from backs and receivers, missed assignments on the line of scrimmage, bad balls from the QBs. But I'll give you some highlights from certain drills.

Offense

Only decent part of this practice for the offense was the 1-on-1 drills, WRs vs DBs.

- Malcolm Kelly vs D Hall is sooooo fun to watch. They try to out do each other every time it seems, but today, I think MK won the battle. Malcolm ran a corner post rout on D Hall, and JC floated on perfectly towards the middle of the end zone. We all know how fast D Hall is, but on this play, MK ran by him and beat D Hall to the ball for a long TD.

- Santana ABUSED Kevin Barnes on one rep today. I mean if it were on tv, Barnes wouldn't even be in the picture.

- Devin Thomas stood out again to me today, making some great catches over the middle from JC. He seems determined to keep, and prove that he deserves that #2 spot. He seems very comfortable there.

- Cooley and Fred Davis looked good again. Fred Davis seems quicker and has some better footwork than last year. He could be dangerous in the open field.

- COLT FANS READ THIS; Well yesterday when the team starting doing the 11-on-11, the QB rotation went around as we're all used to it. JC, Todd, CB5. But today it went JC, CB5, Todd. Take that for what you will. I mean Todd may have been back in the woods taking a piss for all I know. But that was the rotation. However, later on it went back to JC, Todd, CB5. Maybe Zorn is giving both guys a good look.

And yea, that's about it. I saw people leaving before the practice was even over, and that never happens. I was walking up the hill and saw a lady had fallen asleep in her chair. Hopefully the guys were just a little sore from the first practice yesterday. I'm anxious to see updates from the afternoon practice, given the weather is good enough to practice.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!

Much of the struggles on offense could have very well been due to the play of the defense. It was like a high school varsity team scrimmaging the JV team out there today.

- #98 Brian Orakpo made his debut today, kinda. He practiced for only the first half of practice, only going through position, and defensive drills. When the defense came over to play with the offense he was helmet off and hands in pockets. I don't think he was hurt, he was walking fine and everything. I'm thinking since it was his first day and he missed yesterday, the coaches didn't want to throw him to the dogs right away. I don't know. He was physically opposing out there though.

- Get ready for this ladies and gents!! OUR PASS RUSH WAS AWESOME TODAY!!! It seemed our DL was getting to the QB on every play. Big Al was getting some ridiculous push up the middle today, would have had a sack or 2. Andre Carter got loose on the outside getting to the QB a couple of times.

- Jeremy Jarmon made his presence felt out there today. Getting around the edge a couple of times. On one play, he got to the QB VERY quickly. I mean he tapped the QB on the but, ran by him, and THEN the QB got rid of the ball. He's lookin good out there.

- Alfred Fincher played hot patato with Cooley today. It was a short pass that Cooley had to reach for. Cooley tried to tip it to himself and real it in, but Fincher came in on the fun. Those two had to tip the ball up about 4 time before Fincher finally got a grasp of it for the INT, which he turned up field.

- Carlos Rogers had a pick today from a JC pass intended for Malcolm Kelly. Malcolm ran about a 10 yard comeback route to the outside. But Los was right on it the whole time and cut under Malcolm for the pick, getting his feet in before he got out of bounds.

- LaRon got in on the 1-on-1 fun. He took on the receiver who ran a go route on him. It seemed LaRon had PERFECT coverage on him. Had good inside leverage, got his head around, and jumped up for the ball, almost bringing in an interception, but broke up that pass.

- Chris Wilson seemed to get more reps at the SLB position. Either he's getting more comfortable with it, or the coaches are. Either way, he looked pretty natural out there with the other LBs. I mean if he's trying to do some of the things they expect Orakpo to be able to do, that has to be a good thing.

- Smoot and Tryon didn't get tested that much, on their reps the WR mainly ran short routes. They were always there in position for the tackle though.

- K. Barnes had an alright practice. He almost pulled in an INT on a deep out route. Kevin laid out for it, but it went just off his finger tips. He again showed good coverage on the deep ball, he seems to be coming along.

That's about it for the highlights. All the usual guys put forth solid performances; Fletcher, Horton, Rocky. But nothing "wow" worthy. The rookie LBs Cody Glenn and Robert Henson seem to be coming right along. Not starting worthy right now, but will definately have impact on special teams. Both guys have GREAT motors out there, always running to the football. Hustle and effort getting to the football will put them in position to make plays.

I've got some pics, not very good. I got a pretty cool one of CP though. I'll see what I can do about uploading them.

Again, if you've got any questions about a player, let me know.

DEFENSE WAS DOMINANT!!

If you had to guess would you say that it is more so that our d-line has gotten that much better with the addition of Haynesworth? Or that our offensive line is just playing really badly?

I'd say a little bit of both. I mean Big Al was getting RIDICULOUS push.

But the OL was also getting beat by some of the "No Decal" guys too.

I'd say a little bit of both. I mean Big Al was getting RIDICULOUS push.

But the OL was also getting beat by some of the "No Decal" guys too.

-Great to hear about big al, looks like we have big things planned for him this season... I really hope he'll be around for all 16

-Kind of expected with our o-line, what concerns me the most is from what I have heard it seems neither of our RT's is really NFL starting material at this moment in time... Hopefully that will change, though

its going to be hard to really evaluate just how good our d-line is or how bad our o-line is based on practices

True.

I would think that the d-line would be able to run into the backfield with ease, b/c the lines really aren't engaging each other yet.

I don't think they are wearing full pads, and Samuels said yeterday that the o-line was only going abou 60-70% in these early practices before they go all out this weekend in full gear.

However, I have never been to one of these practices. So I don't know.

Another note, for the second day in a row, the Cooley family has taken the VIP spot right in front of where I usually stand. Today, Chris' wife was out there. MAN, she's just a tiny little thing, very very pretty though. Tanner was also out there, and maybe Chris' mom, not sure though.

Blondie and Huly were in the VIP section, but a little too far down for me to yell out to them. I didn't wanna seem like a weirdo though. For all who care, Blondie is lookin good out there!

Another note, for the second day in a row, the Cooley family has taken the VIP spot right in front of where I usually stand. Today, Chris' wife was out there. MAN, she's just a tiny little thing, very very pretty though. Tanner was also out there, and maybe Chris' mom, not sure though.

Blondie and Huly were in the VIP section, but a little too far down for me to yell out to them. I didn't wanna seem like a weirdo though. For all who care, Blondie is lookin good out there!

More report's on Cooley's wife are always good!

Archived