Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Training Camp: Five Players To Watch

themurf

zorn-buges.JPG

(photo by Brian Murphy)

[Editor's note: After enduring the slowest part of the sports calendar, we’re ramping up for the 2009 Washington Redskins training camp with all kinds of goodies. Yesterday, we tackled five key positions heading into the season. Today, we’re digging deeper and looking at some of the names and faces who’ll play a part in the upcoming season.]

Imagine, if you will, that the 2009 Washington Redskins season is a movie. Instead of focusing on the entire organization or even the 53-man roster, our movie is going to spotlight five players who could very well become central characters when its all said and done.

For the purpose of this exercise we’re not concentrating on marquee names like Jason Campbell, Clinton Portis or Chris Cooley. Simply put, their stories have already been told. Instead, we’re simply presenting five characters who you may not know much about now that could become more prominent players as the season unfolds.

Brian Orakpo - “The New Guy”

Orakpo made a name for himself as one of the top pass rushers in the country while playing defensive end at the University of Texas. At 6-3 and 263 lbs., the Longhorn was a first-team All-American and easily one of the most decorated players in the country.

After an impressive four-year career, Orakpo earned the 2008 Associated Press Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. He also took home the Bronko Nagurski Trophy (given to the country’s best defensive player), the Ted Hendricks Award (top defensive end) and the Lombardi Award (best lineman or linebacker). Some folks thought Orakpo was so good that he even warranted Heisman considerations. Like we said, dude cleaned house.

Well, after he graduated, Orakpo was ready for his next challenge – namely the NFL. And while ‘Skins fans were hoping and praying he’d fall to them, realistically most people didn’t think he’d ultimately end up here. But once USC quarterback Mark Sanchez was off the board, the Redskins’ front office settled for Orakpo. And what a consolation prize he could be.

Orakpo, known to be a “workout warrior” while at Texas, bench pressed 225 lbs. a staggering 31 times, tops among all defensive ends (and roughly 30 more reps than Fred Smoot). He also posted a ridiculous 39.5 inch vertical and a 10 foot, 10 inch broad jump.

That being said, we’re more impressed with his on-the-field production – such as his 11.5 sacks his senior year – than anything he did at the Combine.

Draft experts considered Orakpo to be a defensive end in a 4-3 defense or an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. So naturally, in Washington he’s being asked to be an outside linebacker in a 4-3. Since coming to town Orakpo has said all the right things. He’ll play wherever the coaching staff feels he’s best suited to help the team win. He’s athletic enough to make the transition from pass rusher to a linebacker who must drop back in coverage. Playing in Washington is a “dream come true.”

While a guy like Chris Wilson, who is also attempting to switch from defensive end to linebacker, is probably not going to make it, Orakpo shouldn’t have such problems. Once he adjusts to the difference in speed between the college and pro games, chances are he’ll have little problem finding ways to make an impact. Plus, he still gets to put his hand on the ground and get after the quarterback on third downs.

The ‘Skins had the fourth best defense in football last year, but lacked true playmakers. Adding Orakpo, along with guys like Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall, should go a long way towards creating more sacks and turnovers. This, my friend, is a good thing.

Devin Thomas - “The Question Mark”

From this year’s top draft pick to last year’s.

The success/failure rate of receivers taken in the first or second round of the NFL Draft is typically 50/50, at best. So when a team bucks conventional wisdom and grabs a trio of pass catchers with their top three picks … well, it’s safe to say people are going to take notice.

Click here for the full article.

My 5, the ones I'll watch with the most interest, will all be at linebacker. It's the position we lack depth in, the most, IMO.

Orakpo is in, whether he can cut it at linebacker, or not. Though it would be nice to see him do well in pass coverage there. Playing the run shouldn't be that hard for him.

Chris Wilson, will most likely be cut, if he can't make the switch to LB.

Blades, who's pretty much assured a roster spot, needs to cement his position of "heir apparent" to Fletch. As well as being a solid backup at Sam and Will. He's close, but not a sure thing.

And of the two drafted rooks, at least one needs to make the starting roster, and stand out, not just merely be adequate, on special teams, and show promise as a backup. If both can, it's great for us.

To be honest, I didn't have high expectations for Thomas last year, so I wasn't particularly disappointed. I WAS disappointed that none of those 2nd round picks were major contributors and they definitely need more from those guys this year.

The guy who I'm looking at is JT Tryon. He got maligned a lot in his first year and deservedly so. But, I do think the guy has the potential and I'm interested to see if he steps up and becomes the player the Skins hope he will be.

My question is: does Moore have the range to play FS consistently, so we could move Landry to SS on occasion?

My hope is talk track down Kareem Moore fairly early on in training camp and see what the coaches have been telling him, as far as his role for the upcoming season. Personally, seeing him out there more often in the 'Cobra package' with Landry and Horton sounds good to me.

Draft experts considered Orakpo to be a defensive end in a 4-3 defense or an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. So naturally, in Washington he’s being asked to be an outside linebacker in a 4-3.

this made me laugh and shake my head almost simultaneously

great job on the write up

can't wait for training camp to open

To be honest, I didn't have high expectations for Thomas last year, so I wasn't particularly disappointed. I WAS disappointed that none of those 2nd round picks were major contributors and they definitely need more from those guys this year.

The guy who I'm looking at is JT Tryon. He got maligned a lot in his first year and deservedly so. But, I do think the guy has the potential and I'm interested to see if he steps up and becomes the player the Skins hope he will be.

Agreed on both accounts. I was actually surprised that Devin got as much playing time as he did last season. But due to his raw skillset and his lack of experience with running pro routes, I had a feeling that he was going to take longer to develop. Of course, I actually expected Malcolm Kelly to step in and be a contributor right away, but of course injuries settled in. :doh:

I am curious to see also how our young corners in Tryon and Barnes develop. How well they progress could very well determine if we have to break the bank on Carlos Rogers next season or not. If Tryon and Barnes show up and play solidly with Hall and Smoot, then Rogers may become more expendable (even though in a perfect world I preferred we kept him).

Not to put the kiss od death on us, but I think this Defense of ours has the potential to do what Baltimore's did for them a few seasons ago.

There's a big difference between being stacked on paper and actually getting it done on the field. I've always said, "potential just means ain't done **** yet." That just means lets hope for the best and see how things play out before anointing anyone just yet.

Archived