Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

betts watson

sjcdzzy

am i the only one to think ladell or kenny should be our starter?all watson did was rush for534 yards with a 4.6 average and betts 307 4.7 average mostly came with teams knowing they had to run to win i dont think they should have brought canidate in to start. i was excited to see what betts and watson can get going

I totally agree with you, though neither Watson or Betts give you the break-away speed of Candidate. But I think we would have been fine going into this year with the WB combination that worked very well at the end of last season.

Canidate cost us David Loverne and a 4th rounder. It doesnt hurt to bring him in He has the ability to outplay both Watson and Betts. While they both looked good last year They are unproven and dont have the whole league talking about our great up and comming backs. That said If Trung doesn't Mature I like Betts.

SJC

I couldn't agree with you more, I thought Watson more than held his own when called upon during the season to spell Davis. There were quite a few games this year where Watson came in and his running was able to seal wins for us. Ie... Tenn, Indy, Sea, Hou and the last Dallas game on the 3rd and 6 to kepp the ball in the final two minutes. Betts also showed promise late in the season as well with his 100 plus yard performance with Houston and the final 98 yard game against Dallas.

I truly believe that too much emphasis has been put on Canidate and his speed, and I'm a true believer that he will be our FA bust this year.

The game took the wrong turn when Watson Tipped the ball to Roy for a touchdown. He was a rookie though I dont think we have had enough to judge any of them neither had a breakout game such as Trungs in 01. But Trung has also shown some negatives that betts and watson have not shown yet.

anyone know canidates carreer stats last year17 carries 4 48 yards and4 catches 4 31 yards.you can say they have faulk but doesnt change the fact that he didnt do the most with the chances he had.

they both rushed 4 100 yards in the same game

I for one feel like the more talent we have the better. The RB situation will take care of itself. Personally, I would like to see Betts have a great year and emerge as the starter, but if ANY of the other backs do the job, that's fine by me.

Watson didn't lose the Dallas game :)

Both Watsona and Betts had their moments in 2002 and both were essentially rookies.

Betts had the one 100 yard game and came back with another 98 yards in another contest. That's not bad in the NFL for a rookie who didn't get that many touches :)

Ditto for Watson, who by size and skills does seem to be more of the change of pace back rather than the loadcarrier.

Canidate fills in as the home run threat. Whether Trung will ever prove to be the durable, sure-handed receiver the Skins hope is a question. But there is no doubt he has some tools in that skill box to work with.

And for what we gave up, I think the risk is worthwhile.

My money ultimately is on the boring canidate, Betts. He isn't the flashiest, but he is a good runner, good pass receiver and is improving as a blocker as well. you put that together with the investment of a #2 pick in him this past year and I think Ladell will lead the team in rushing in 2003.

But it may very well be that he only ends up with 800-900 yards and other backs put up good stats as well.

Regardless if Trung proves worthy or is a bust....I think the big signing for speed on the draws and pitches is Morton....I really think that Morton with watson and betts could have been just as nice with or without Trung......but I hope Trung proves me wrong.....nothing wrong with several weapons as we all know nicks and injuries play a big part during whole season.

I have to agree with Rabid on this one. Morton fills the need that Trung is best at filling. I'd like to see us go with Betts and use Canidate in a reserve role. One thing is certain, Spurrier will look at the stats and note that Watson/Betts in the hybrid role put up decent numbers. Unfortunately, that may just confirm in his mind that there is nothing wrong with RBBC in DC. :doh:

By the way - my virgin post. Good to be with my Skin brethren!

Originally posted by Mick

Watson also LOST the first Dallas game

PURRLEEAAASE!:rolleyes:

Keep pointing at that one mistake. Yep. Betts didn't have a crucial fumble last year? Davis didn't have several fumbles over the past two years?

You judge the body of work, not one play. Watson (and Betts) showed good speed on draws and swing passes last year. Watson was a good WR in college and does have pretty good hands. He showed he an make the tough runs in the 4th quarter and get you the tough yards. Why does anyone think he can't carry the load? That's the same crap I've been hearing about Charlie Garner forever.

Don't label people until they show you what they can or cannot do, because if you do, even after they show you different from your label you will refuse to take the label off.

MAY THE BEST BACK WIN, REGARDLESS OF DRAFT POSITION!

Many a great player or hall of famer were unheralded when they came into the league and went on to play ahead of "high draft investments."

Joe Jacoby, Terrell Davis, Jessie Armstead to name a few.

Waterboy

I have found out while posting on these boards that if your drafted that makes the world of difference, and that if your fast, I mean really fast, you make the club reguardless of your lack of talent and numbers throught four NFL seasons.

I also find it amusing that they blame the Dallas lost on one man, when in fact when dallas scored on that fluke play, we were still up by 7 in that game.

Originally posted by dayumnuttinleft

Waterboy

I have found out while posting on these boards that if your drafted that makes the world of difference, and that if your fast, I mean really fast, you make the club reguardless of your lack of talent and numbers throught four NFL seasons.

I also find it amusing that they blame the Dallas lost on one man, when in fact when dallas scored on that fluke play, we were still up by 7 in that game.

Thanks!

PS: I have to post some more to move beyond that Avatar. I can't get over being called 'Waterboy':D:laugh: :silly:

1. Canidate

1a.Betts

2. Chad Morton

3. Kenny Watson

I should elaborate on that last post. I see Canidate and Betts rotating in and out. Backs usually don't like this but I think that's how Spurrier is going to use them. Chad Morton comes in on situational passing downs. I think Watson is our injury insurance back.

Unless you have a bonafide star at RB, I don't see it as a hugely important position, especially not in this offense.

These three (or four) players together fit better than one Stephen Davis.

I like Canidate as the starter, assuming he can keep his hands on the ball, with Betts and to a lesser extent Watson filling in.

Betts isn't flashy or quick enough for SS, and Watson just isn't good enough to be a fulltime starter.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Unless you have a bonafide star at RB, I don't see it as a hugely important position, especially not in this offense.

These three (or four) players together fit better than one Stephen Davis.

I like Canidate as the starter, assuming he can keep his hands on the ball, with Betts and to a lesser extent Watson filling in.

Betts isn't flashy or quick enough for SS, and Watson just isn't good enough to be a fulltime starter.

If you want to know how important the RB position is in this offense, check out the Gators under SS. They ran the ball contrary to what many believe. They just didn't run it on traditional downs.

Betts was drafted without opposition from SS. There is nothing that Watson did when he had the opportunity to run the ball that suggests he is not good enough to be a full time starter. On the contrary, he did very well when he got the ball.

None of us thought Stephen Davis was good enough until he got the job. We all thought the high draft pick Skip Hicks was going to be the starter.

Archived