Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: Moneyball NFL Style

Stophovr6

Posted by our favorite beat reporter, JLC. Still thought it was somewhat interesting that the Seahawks have outspent us recently.

I was able to get a look at some NFL Management Council figures on “committed cash,” which is a fancy way of saying how much each team spent in actual dollars (not salary cap funny money) on player costs during a fixed period of time. In this case, we’re looking at the gross totals spent on salaries and bonuses to players for the past five seasons — from 2004-2008.

_________

Team Dollars, in millions

1. Cowboys $566.89

2. Seahawks $552.42

3. Redskins $547.37

4. Colts $532.77

5. Vikings $526.87

6. Texans $522.23

7. Saints $518.49

8. Steelers $516.69

9. Panthers $516.09

10. Patriots $513.31

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/06/26/moneyball-nfl-style/

Here is the follow-up. Spending a lot doesn't seem to be a great cure all. I know a lot of people on here say Snyder will spend anything it takes to win, but when it's not working maybe it takes a little more than just spending a lot of money. Maybe it takes a competent GM along with the willingness to spend along with many other factors(coaching etc.)
Last week we looked at the raw numbers of what each team in the NFL spent from 2004-08, with the clear indication being that many of the most successful organizations spent in the middle of the pack, while several of the top five spending teams suffered.

20.) Jets 37 502.53 M 13.58 M

21.) Bills 35 483.71 M 13.82 M

22.) Chiefs 32 451.58 M 14.11 M

23.) Saints 36 518.49 M 14.40 M

24.) Redskins 38 547.37 M 14.40 M

25.) Cardinals 34 505.30 M 14.86 M

26.) Dolphins 31 500.56 M 16.14 M

27.) Texans 31 522.23 M 16.84 M

28.) Browns 28 506.43 M 18.08 M

29.) Rams 27 502.08 M 18.59 M

30.) 49ers 25 486. 40 M 19.45 M

31.) Lions 21 505.04 M 24.04 M

32.) Raiders 20 513.21 M 25.66 M

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/06/29/more-moneyball-the-economics-of-wins-and-losses/

And for anyone that thinks we're as bad as the Lions or Raiders, this should help to paint a clearer picture. They spend a ton more per win than we do.

I know a lot of people on here say Snyder will spend anything it takes to win, but when it's not working maybe it takes a little more than just spending a lot of money. Maybe it takes a competent GM along with the willingness to spend along with many other factors(coaching etc.)
Crazy talk I tell ya. Crazy talk.

none of this really matters to me because I didn't get any of that money.

So? This has to do with how this franchise doesn't spend its money smart, despite being in the top five in cash spent. Which shows a lack of good management, whether Snyder is willing to throw his money around or not. It needs to be spent wisely, perhaps with a knowledgeable GM doing the deciding.

It has nothing to do with you and whether you got any of it.

What's interesting is that all you ever hear is that the Steelers are cheap and don't spend money and let players walk because they don't spend. And they spend more than 3/4 of the league. It seems like you do need to spend to be competitive. The Colts, Steelers, and Pats are all in the top 10 in spending and have played in 98 conference championship games in the last eight years. But you can't spend stupidly. (See us, Cowboys, Texans).

What's interesting is that all you ever hear is that the Steelers are cheap and don't spend money and let players walk because they don't spend. And they spend more than 3/4 of the league. It seems like you do need to spend to be competitive. The Colts' date=' Steelers, and Pats are all in the top 10 in spending and have played in 98 conference championship games in the last eight years. But you can't spend stupidly. (See us, Cowboys, Texans).[/quote']

You have to spend money to earn money.

So? This has to do with how this franchise doesn't spend its money smart, despite being in the top five in cash spent. Which shows a lack of good management, whether Snyder is willing to throw his money around or not. It needs to be spent wisely, perhaps with a knowledgeable GM doing the deciding.

It has nothing to do with you and whether you got any of it.

Somebody is on their high horse today.

Archived