Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: GOP-Leaning Majority Seen Fading in U.S.

SkinsHokieFan

Regardless of whatever short-term success they may have' date=' the Republicans still have a long-term demographic problem. God forbid that Latinos ever start voting in large numbers.[/quote']

Ah, yes, the assumptive all latinos will vote dem.

Actually, many Latinos are very religious and conservative. They vote for Dems when they are still living on welfare, but as they rise economically, they tend to vote much more conservatively.

It is funny that about one year ago, the WP was so sure the Repubs were going away (and SHF was right there with them), and now even Press Secretary Gibbs is admitting that the GOP will most likely take back the House.

In the end, this country is pretty much down the middle on most issues. Take the country too far one way, and your party will suffer as the pendulum swings back the other way.

Actually, many Latinos are very religious and conservative. They vote for Dems when they are still living on welfare, but as they rise economically, they tend to vote much more conservatively.

It is funny that about one year ago, the WP was so sure the Repubs were going away (and SHF was right there with them), and now even Press Secretary Gibbs is admitting that the GOP will most likely take back the House.

I will be shocked if the GOP is able to win 40 seats in November to take back the House. That is a very tall order

In 2006, with the wars, the corruption and all the other stuff the Bush admin had to deal with, Mark Foley, the Dems managed to win all of 30 seats.

We are still only 2 years after Bush. This isn't 1994 when Republicans were out of power for 40 years in Congress, its still the same faces who have allowed themselves to be defined by some of the worst elements of the party and quite frankly don't have much in "new ideas" to offer right now.

Hopefully I'll end up being foolish as I think gridlock is something this country badly needs

I will be shocked if the GOP is able to win 40 seats in November to take back the House. That is a very tall order

Prepared to be shocked.

Overall, a slim majority of all voters say they would prefer Republican control of Congress so that the legislative branch would act as a check on the president's policies. Those most likely to vote in the midterms prefer the GOP over continued Democratic rule by a sizable margin of 56 percent to 41 percent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/12/AR2010071205453.html?hpid=topnews

Ah, yes, the assumptive all latinos will vote dem.

Hey it worked with blacks to a large extent...what could go wrong?:silly:

The Dem racial bs is getting old....certainly among my compadres

Prepared to be shocked.

Overall, a slim majority of all voters say they would prefer Republican control of Congress so that the legislative branch would act as a check on the president's policies. Those most likely to vote in the midterms prefer the GOP over continued Democratic rule by a sizable margin of 56 percent to 41 percent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/12/AR2010071205453.html?hpid=topnews

There are several items the GOP still has to overcome, one of which being the NRCCs fundraising troubles (no thanks in part to Chairman Steele, and Mr Bohener)

It is still July. There will no doubt be gains and the GOP may get to within striking distance (15-20 seats) for 2012, however without some serious new faces and new ideas, it will take 4 more months of continued screwing up by the Dem majority for the GOP to take back over

The GOP seems to be Rams of the political world right now (no talent, no direction, no hope), but these things tend to be self-correcting, as the party in power gets corrupted by that power, and the opposition gets elected on a platform of "We're not them!". It worked for the GOP in '94 and '00, and it will work again. After all, the Democrat's core philosophy is equally flawed - we can't all be leeches. As the massive budget deficits are showing, a country simply can't, over the long-term, give itself more money and benefits than are actually created.

Here's our problem:....It's the same deal with gay marriage. Instead of painting us as people of faith who value the traditional family, they have to pull out the lies again. We're homophobic, bigoted and evil. (Forget the fact that THEY forced Ms. California to be stripped of her crown...simply for freely expressing her opinion. REEEEEEEEEAL TOLERANT!!!!)

So to put it simply, we're not going to get a fair shake. The dems will continue blatantly mischaracterizing our positions, and the media will eat it up. Meanwhile, the grassroots groundswell that our party has needed for a LOOOONG time, is already beginning to grow.

Remember the tea parties? Remember what they were really about? Remember how the media portrayed them? And now the Freedom Concerts? They're selling out so quickly that venues are being abandoned for bigger and/or outdoor arenas.

The best way to motivate the republican base is to piss us off. The best way to piss us off is to lie about us incesantly.

In other words, they're playing into our hands. :)

Amen, Amen, and ummmmmm, Amen!!! :applause:

Just so I know in advance, what will be the excuse if (and when) the GOP fails to take back the House?

Thanks.

They stole the damn election....RECOUNT...SUE...I was robbed

Damned butterfly and electronic ballots....I bet they even planted candidates to steal our votes.

Turnabout is fair play?:ols:

God forbid that Latinos ever start voting in large numbers.

Only if they continue to be misinformed by the media.

It is surprising how a demographic as conservative as Latinos are expected to continue to blindly vote for liberal democrats.

The nation does need a flood of highly educated self reliant legal immigrants but democrats have a cap on them coming in legally since they aren't the type to keep them in power.

The GOP seems to be Rams of the political world right now (no talent, no direction, no hope), but these things tend to be self-correcting, as the party in power gets corrupted by that power, and the opposition gets elected on a platform of "We're not them!". It worked for the GOP in '94 and '00, and it will work again. After all, the Democrat's core philosophy is equally flawed - we can't all be leeches. As the massive budget deficits are showing, a country simply can't, over the long-term, give itself more money and benefits than are actually created.

That is EXACTLY how the Dems and Obama got elected this time. They all ran on a campaign of "I'm Not Bush,<insert Repub's name here> is!". Now, they have to back up a record that many don't agree with. While I don't agree with all GOP views, I can certainly see how they are going to have a pretty good shot at taking back the House, maybe the Senate, and certainly cutting heavily into the Dems large advantage in both houses.

The real problem is that there is a difference between Republicans and Conservatives.

If the Republican party foolishly do the progressive/liberal thing again when they are in power they are doomed.

Even if the Dems lose power in November, conventional wisdom has them during their lame duck status ramming thru all of the destructive legislation including Cap and Tax as well as Amnesty which with the 2011 tax increases and the end of Dubba Ya's tax cuts will force the GOP to bend over and take the blame or fight back with a 21st century version of a Contract with America.

Regardless of whatever short-term success they may have' date=' the Republicans still have a long-term demographic problem. God forbid that Latinos ever start voting in large numbers.[/quote']

This is the GOP's biggest problem. The way the political climate to the right is makes it impossible to reach out for any Latino voters and Latinos are a fast growing demographic. The GOP's typical demographics are in steady decline while the Democrats are steadily rising. Over the next decade or so I think the GOP will find it harder and harder to find new votes as they try to cobble together a coalition that works with the new demographics. They are simply alienating too many voters, now the Democrats have done a horrible job of capitalizing on this but its only a matter of time until its just a matter of fact.

Latinos if they vote are going to be the end of the Republican party because there is a very vocal wing, lets call it the Trancedo wing that will continue to push away these voters in droves, but the Republican party needs the Trancedo wings votes to stay relevant so they can't just tell that wing to **** off.

Here is a pretty clear example of the movement of Latino voters away from the Republican party (it is a small sample size but still illustrates the point)

2004 Bush got 44 percent of the Latino vote

Kerry got 53 percent of the Latino vote

2008 Mccain got 31 percent of the Latino vote

Obama got 67 percent of the Latino vote

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#val=USP00p1

Well not being able to vote present and people no longer buying we didn't have the power has consequences btfoom

Ya gotta stand on what you have done or make them fear the opposition.

Imo the fear factor has shifted for the majority.

I guess that leaves the Dems to run on their accomplishments:evilg:

That is EXACTLY how the Dems and Obama got elected this time. They all ran on a campaign of "I'm Not Bush,<insert Repub's name here> is!". Now, they have to back up a record that many don't agree with. While I don't agree with all GOP views, I can certainly see how they are going to have a pretty good shot at taking back the House, maybe the Senate, and certainly cutting heavily into the Dems large advantage in both houses.

If the GOP doesn't take back a good amount of seats then its a very serious problem for the GOP. Its natural for whoever wins the Presidential election to lose a decent amount of seats mid term. Its just the way things work, now there are aberrations (GOP in 2002) but for the last few decades its the way it works. That has nothing to do with anything the GOP does, now if the GOP makes a huge move then thats something but anything less and its either a disaster for the GOP or simply whats expected.

To be honest, I am not sure what's worse for the GOP.

Taking back the seats and ownership of either the House and Senate (and giving the voters two future years of failure or success of which Obama can claim credit of the latter for - thus getting him reelected easily)

or

Not winning control of either House or Senate and further demonstrating how weak the party is.

They stole the damn election....RECOUNT...SUE...I was robbed

Damned butterfly and electronic ballots....I bet they even planted candidates to steal our votes.

Turnabout is fair play?:ols:

They signed up fake voters! REVOLT... RELOAD... I was robbed!

Stupid lamestream media... I bet they even planted candidates 13523755.jpg to steal our votes.

Yes, turnabout IS fair play! :ols:

Here is a pretty clear example of the movement of Latino voters away from the Republican party (it is a small sample size but still illustrates the point)

2004 Bush got 44 percent of the Latino vote

Kerry got 53 percent of the Latino vote

2008 Mccain got 31 percent of the Latino vote

Obama got 67 percent of the Latino vote

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pages/results/states/US/P/00/epolls.0.html

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#val=USP00p1

Funny down here in Hispanic land I see a clear trend against the present policies and some pissed off people.

All your stats prove is McCain ain't W in Hispanics eyes...I could of told ya that.:pfft:

The Dems problem is we won't be voting for Obama this time and Hope/Change bites

Funny down here in Hispanic land I see a clear trend against the present policies and some pissed off people.

All your stats prove is McCain ain't W in Hispanics eyes...I could of told ya that.:pfft:

The Dems problem is we won't be voting for Obama this time and Hope/Change bites

I can tell you this - the majority of my latino friends favor a more liberal immigration policy and I figure they aren't in the minority amongst the latinos in the US.

As long as the GOP is ruled by iron fisted take back our country anti immigrant wangs, then I doubt the GOP will ever get the majority of the latino vote.

Archived