Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Rumor Central: Merriman's last year in San Diego?

bubba9497

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors

Click link for entire article

Merriman's last year in San Diego?

It seemed innocent enough when the Chargers drafted Larry English with their first-round pick this year. But by selecting the OLB/DE hybrid from Northern Illinois, the Chargers made a choice:

Philip Rivers > Shawne Merriman.

It wasn't so explicit, but here's the deal: Both Rivers and Merriman are in the final year of their contracts, and if neither player is signed before becoming a free agent, the Chargers are going to slap the franchise tag on Rivers, as Ed Thompson of Scout.com points out.

Selecting English has made their intentions even clearer. English plays the same OLB/DE hybrid as Merriman. Both are hard-hitting, oversized linebackers who will occasionally line up at defensive end and rush the quarterback. Plus, Merriman's off-field and injury problems make him more of a gamble than Rivers, who has proven himself to be a franchise quarterback. In fact, just a few days ago, Merriman's company sued Christian Laettner's company -- yes, that Christian Laettner. This is in addition to Merriman's steroid suspension in 2006.

The above referenced article

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9630776/Merriman

Click link for entire article

7 Points: Merriman's Chargers future in doubt

by Ed Thompson, Scout.com

Point 1: 2009 could be "Lights Out" time for outside linebacker Shawne Merriman in San Diego.

With the 16th pick overall in the 2009 NFL Draft, San Diego selected 6-foot-2, 274-pound defensive end Larry English, who will play outside linebacker in the NFL.

Did the Chargers front office folks lose their minds? After all, they already had Merriman — a player who had earned the nickname "Lights Out" for his devastating hits — and the highly talented Shaun Phillips anchoring the outside linebacker spots. Mock drafts across the internet had been projecting that San Diego would use that pick on a true defensive end or an offensive tackle. What in the world were the Chargers thinking?

Well, what you have to figure into the equation is that Merriman is in the last year of his contract. And while the knee-jerk reaction would be to assume that the club would simply slap the franchise tag on him, you'd be overlooking a very important angle that could prevent the Chargers from doing that.

Quarterback Philip Rivers is also entering the final year of his contract.

If the team can't reach a new deal with either player prior to the start of free agency, which one do you think they'd use the tag on? Sorry, but unless Rivers contracts Ryan Leaf disease during the 2009 season, that's a no-brainer.

Besides, I think the Chargers already cast their vote when they picked English.

You also have to figure that the team was hedging their bets in case Merriman didn't make a successful return from the knee surgery that forced him to miss nearly the entire 2008 season. From all that I've heard, and as long as he doesn't re-injure the knee, the emotional and tenacious defender will likely captivate NFL fans with a double-digit sack performance for a fourth season. But San Diego now has a safety net with English should Merriman falter.

The fifth-year veteran isn't phased in the least by all the buzz around his future.

"All that stuff to me is garbage. Whatever happens is going to happen. If that's the case, I'm going to make the best of it, period," Merriman said earlier this month when asked about the speculation that he'd be tagged or playing elsewhere in 2010.

No matter how this season evolves for Merriman, the results will be costly to San Diego. If he's not able to unleash chaos again, the Chargers will likely let him hit the open market, losing a player who was once a dominant force for their defense. And if he's able to bounce back, his price tag would be staggering.

Last year the club inked defensive end Luis Castillo to a pact that was valued in excess of $60 million with a $6.15 million signing bonus. That should be peanuts compared to a Merriman deal if he's able to become one of the most feared linebackers in football again.

This all only applies if there is a deal worked out on a new CBA before the start of the 2010 League year. If there is no new CBA then players need to have 6 years of service to become unrestricted free agents.

Merriman has will have 5 years and so absent a new deal with the Chargers will become a restricted free agent not an unrestricted free agent. Key difference.

That means that Chargers will have the right to make a qualifying offer of at least 110% of his salary for this year. They can then match any offer sheet he signs with another team or collect a 1st and a 3rd round pick from the team that signs him.

This same scenario applies to Jason Campbell and Carlos Rogers for us.

Bottom line unless there is a new CBA agreed then the Chargers will not need to put a franchise tag on Merriman to control his rights next year.

Philip Rivers is the man.

Yep - if the Chargers can't sign him and tag him I think he might be worth the two 1st round picks. If Campbell tanks this year I would think we would be all over that.

The Chargers will get something done though - you don't let a franchise QB walk even for two 1st round picks. Something Denver may find out the hard way this year.

I agree with Martin C that we should keep our eye out for Merriman if he becomes available. Lets also see how he performs this year and if he can stay drug free as well.

Actually it was Rivers I said we would be all over if he hits the market - which I highly doubt he will. This assumes Campbell is average or below average next year.

Merriman I'm not so sure about. I'm not sure he is a good fit in a 4-3 scheme and given what we have invested in Haynesworth and his ability as a 1 gap DT in 4-3 I dont see us switching to a 3-4 scheme.

I was also pointing out that if there is no new CBA agreed between the NFL and the players Union then Merriman would not actually be a free agent anyway.

Yep - if the Chargers can't sign him and tag him I think he might be worth the two 1st round picks. If Campbell tanks this year I would think we would be all over that.

The Chargers will get something done though - you don't let a franchise QB walk even for two 1st round picks. Something Denver may find out the hard way this year.

The chargers already let one franchise QB walk, for nothing more than third round compensatory pick. I think they learned their lesson, but if they let Merrimen walk (again for probably a only a 3rd round comepensatory pick) then they may just be plain old cheap or cash-strapped. No way Rivers hits the open market, personally i don't think Merrimen will either. Now a guy like Cromartie i could see being let walk over money when his contract is up. But a pass rusher (and all around monster) like merrimen and a franchise QB can't be let walk imo.

I called this last year on this board and was shot down in flames for saying it. The Chargers have already signed his backup to a long term deal and have drafted a player of his position as well.

I have called the local sports talk radio many times out here during his years here and always say I wanna see him in the burgundy and gold. and scream "GO TERPS!!" he always laughs but I think he would love to come home too..

More media speculation on Merriman's future in SD, http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/San+Diego/WWHI/2009/wwhi060409.htm.

If he hits the open market, I'd be very surprised if he didn't jump to #1 on our 2010 offseason FA target list. Being able to bring him back home and put him with Haynesworth and Orapko (assuming he fulfills his expectations) could potentially make our defense legend...wait for it..

Archived