Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saying "I love you"

royallypwned

I'm right there with you, Royal :yes:...I can say "I love you" to almost anyone...but when it comes to family, it's damn hard for some reason lol. I can say it to my mom with amazing ease, though. But the rest of my family, it's not something that's said too often.

However, I have THE MOST loving and supportive family around, seriously...I'm blessed beyond words to have the parents and siblings that I have. We are each other's best friends and are ALWAYS there for each other for all kinds of support and guidance. I have no idea why we don't say "I love you" to each other except for once in a blue moon, but that's the way it is. It's almost as if it's unnecessary, if that makes sense...nobody else in my entire life has shown and expressed more love to me than my family members on a literally daily basis. I feel it constantly and NEVER doubt it, not even once. So maybe that's why we don't really say it, perhaps...I don't know.

I rarely get personal here, but pardon me while I do so here...

My entire life, I have always had a problem saying "I love you." But it's only when talking to my family. I can say it to my GF, and I can say "I love you, man" to buddies, but I can't to my family. Every phone call with my mom, she ends the conversation with "I love you." I just get awkward and say something like "I'll talk to you soon." And when I look her in the eyes, I can tell it hurts her. It has gotten worse in the last few years. It's not like I hate my family or anything. I just feel weird for some reason.

Does anybody else have this problem? Does this make me a bad person? :(

And if possible, I would greatly appreciate it if nobody makes a "you being a Cowboy fan is what makes you a bad person" kinda joke reply. I have no problem with that elsewhere of course (in fact I say bring it! :silly:), but I'd like to keep this thread serious. Thanks. :)

royallypwned.......I think I love you

Never had that problem.

My little princess and I used to end our "mushy moments before my going back to my command or ending a phone conversation with a Who loves you more than I do? (response) I have no idea, (response) good answer, I love you I love you too.

Always end my convos with my mom and other femal family members with an I love you.

Guys get the fist tap and the brutha embrace.

I think I have a hard time saying it to family because...? I couldn't tell you.

Growing up, I always said I love you, I don't have a bad relationship with my mom and even with my father's problems I didn't have an issue growing up.

And when it comes to women, it's not that I say it cavalierly but I can at least work my way to that point. I don't say it to my male friends, though, so maybe it's just an issue with saying it to the people closest to me?

But I can relate. but I definitely love my family and friends. For all my verbosity, it's the one thing I have a hard time with---I make up for it by being very physically affectionate (um, not with dudes, though.)

Thanks y'all for the replies. :)

Maybe if you never grew up saying it, it's just awkward to you? Or maybe you connect "I love you" to a more romantic feeling?

This. That's pretty much how I feel. I can say it to a GF, but without it really having a deep meaning. It's more of a casual thing, at least for now.

You never know. Maybe, god forbid, something terrible happens and you'll never see them again. I always feel better knowing that if that were to happen, one of the last things they heard from me was "I love you," you know?

My family is who I'm most comfortable saying it to. Then my friends. Can't say it to the manfriend yet... cause it wouldn't be true. But that always bothers me because I want him to know I care, but I don't wanna say something I don't mean. I feel like "I love you" is a pretty big deal. Don't want to throw it around as far as relationships go.

But as far as family's go... saying I love you is pretty legit if you ask me. Crucial, actually. You said you didn't hate your family, but you also didn't say you loved them. If you do, you should say it.

Thanks, that helps put things in perspective. MTH, you raised a wise one. :)

Do you have any idea why you have this resistance or when it started? Are you from one of those families that trained its men to be stoic and very hard? Is there something that was done to you that part of you can't get over or forgive? Is it a childish powerploy that has become engrained in habit?

I wish I knew exactly what it was. I didn't have a bad childhood, just the occasional parent-child conflicts that any kid goes through in their rebel stage. I've always been a little stubborn, so that's what is probably the problem. I'm used to habit, especially bad ones.

Seems like as you have gotten older, you have viewed the term "I love you" for a significant other. You have to remember it carries multiple meanings.

Exactly. And I think you're right, I'm just not good with using the same phrase with different people when there are multiple meanings.

Do you love your mom?

And no, not saying it doesn't make you a bad person. You would be a bad person if you didn't give a **** that it looks like this hurts your mom. You obviously care enough to ask about it.

Yep, I do. But your post made me realize that I can write it a lot easier than I can say it. I think I have a project to do this week. :)

just cuz you dont say it doesnt mean you dont feel it. i never say i love you to anyone in my family and cant remember a time in my life when i did. but my parents know id do anything for them.

i just dont say i love you to anyone really. ive only said it to like 3 or 4 girls, and only once did i really mean it. the rest of the times i thought i did, but later figured out i didnt.

but my mom will say it everytime getting off the phone. as does my aunt. and im just like 'ok, bye' or 'uh huh'. and its no big deal. no one even notices cuz its said as they are already starting to hang up anyway. but its never been an awkward thing.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, because that's exactly the way I am. Thanks for the reply. :)

royallypwned.......I think I love you

:rotflmao:

I think I have a hard time saying it to family because...? I couldn't tell you.

Growing up, I always said I love you, I don't have a bad relationship with my mom and even with my father's problems I didn't have an issue growing up.

And when it comes to women, it's not that I say it cavalierly but I can at least work my way to that point. I don't say it to my male friends, though, so maybe it's just an issue with saying it to the people closest to me?

But I can relate. but I definitely love my family and friends. For all my verbosity, it's the one thing I have a hard time with---I make up for it by being very physically affectionate (um, not with dudes, though.)

I'm pretty much on this same level.

I can say it to girls I've become very affectionate towards (although that's only been twice so far in my life but I was never afraid of being comfortable enough to say it), and I have no problem telling my good female friends how much they mean to me.

My closest guy friends, like my roommates or other great buddies, I'll give them a hug at the most, but the vast majority of the time I'm not strongly verbally appreciative of them.

As far as my family goes, the only ones who really say "I love you" are my mom and dad to each other, my mom obviously says it to me or my older brother in certain situations, but as for everyday phone calls or whatever, it's not really thrown out there. I used to say it to my parents when I was younger, but at some point I just stopped doing it, and I can't really say why. It's not that I don't love them and I don't act like I don't appreciate everything they've sacrificed to raise me and my brother, but for whatever reason I just don't say "I love you."

Archived