Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Personnel Predictions Heading Into 2009

bulldog

My preliminary take based on what the team has done in the offseason and where things seem to be headed:

- Mike Williams will not make the final roster at OG/OT

- Stephon Heyer will win the RT job in camp and the preseason.

- During the season Jeremy Bridges will replace Randy Thomas at RG

- Trent Shelton will displace James Thrash on roster at WR due to ST play

- Edwin Williams (OC) and Derek Walker (DE) have a good chance to make the final roster or practice squad as UDFAs

- Justin Tryon will not make the final roster at CB

- Devin Thomas will step up in 2009 to become the #3 receiver

- Kevin Barnes will transition into Fred Smoot’s spot as the #3 corner by the end of the season

- Jason Campbell’s play will improve but not enough to put him in the elite class or garner a top shelf long-term contract for 2010 and beyond

- Brian Orakpo will surprise NFL observers and play the run effectively at LDE at 263

- Fred Davis will continue to be lost in the shuffle at TE behind a prolific receiver (Cooley) and a first-class blocker (Yoder).

- Neither Dominique Dorsey nor Anthony Alridge will provide the answer at PR/KR

- Haynesworth and Hall will make the pro bowl and justify the investments made in them

- Marcus Mason will once again lose out as the #4 running back on a team that carries 3

- Cody Glenn, Robert Henson will have trouble nailing down jobs for 2009 and the Redskins will sign another veteran linebacker during camp/preseason for depth as well as another undrafted rookie or two

- Todd Collins and Colt Brennan are in their final seasons with the Redskins – whether the team retains Campbell or not, I think you see a new #2 and #3 in 2010. While he might not make the 2009 roster, the signing of Chase Daniel is evidence the Redskins are not set behind Campbell in terms of development talent at qb.

No man crush predictions? Bummer.

I agree with your points mostly. Do you see Rock staying instead of Mason still? Largely due to special teams?

I would argue that Colt or Collins will be here the following year. If your prediction about Campbell comes true, I don't see us bringing Jason back, unless it is for a drastically reduced salary, as a potential backup. I doubt he will sign under those terms. Under this scenario, I doubt the team would want three new quarterbacks on the roster, and will keep Collins or Colt for some semblance of stability.

My only real disagreements:

- Not counting on Bridges replacing Thomas unless he gets hurt. Would hope to see Rhinehart get some time there, of course.

- I certainly hope Tryon makes the roster. I would guess he will.

- I don't read anything into the Daniel signing. They were going to bring a 4th QB to camp one way or the other. The status of the 3 Qbs for 2010 partly depends on each other. I'd be surprised if all 3 are here then, but there's no way all of them will be gone.

I think of all the returning picks from 2008 Justin Tryon is the most vulnerable. Unlike Thomas, Kelly and Davis he doesn't have the physical skills at CB that will continue to make the Redskins hold a spot open for him.

Tryon seems to be fighting to stay in the mix for the #5 corner spot. That is usually reserved for a player that is a ST demon. Another area where Tryon has not shown he is a contributor.

I think from Bugel's latest comments that Rinehart has been working at LG, although he could get a shot on the right side. The attraction of Bridges is a combination of his size, quickness and NFL experience. Those 39 NFL starts will definitely be a factor for Bridges with the staff.

I think of all the returning picks from 2008 Justin Tryon is the most vulnerable. Unlike Thomas, Kelly and Davis he doesn't have the physical skills at CB that will continue to make the Redskins hold a spot open for him.

Tryon seems to be fighting to stay in the mix for the #5 corner spot. That is usually reserved for a player that is a ST demon. Another area where Tryon has not shown he is a contributor.

Tryon has a lot of speed, and some potential as a cover man. Those are certainly skills. Unless the team is 100% reversed in their opinion of him from last year's draft, they will keep him. After all, they drafted Barnes becuase of Rogers' contract staus and Smoot's decline. Getting rid of a promising young CB somewhat defeats that purpose. I don't think they'll cut him based on ST play. It'll come down to his potential as a cover guy. I personally think he has enough to justify keeping him.

And I would call Rob Jackson the most vulnerable of last year's draftees. I don't know if you were including him, or just the higher picks.

I think from Bugel's latest comments that Rinehart has been working at LG, although he could get a shot on the right side. The attraction of Bridges is a combination of his size, quickness and NFL experience. Those 39 NFL starts will definitely be a factor for Bridges with the staff.

I don't disagree with him making the team, just Thomas being benched for him. And I think Rinehart gets consideration in that case. I can't believe a 2nd year 3rd round choice would be considered a back-up at only one G spot, and not the other.

No, I think Trent Shelton will take Thrash's spot on the roster. Shelton is a good ST player and given Thrash's declining productivity as a WR the #5 spot really comes down to ST plus age/salary considerations. Shelton at 24 comes a lot cheaper price and can be a contributor here beyond 2009. Thrash was Joe Gibbs' player and at 33 I think he is very vulnerable.

I think you are reading too far into Chase Daniels. He's just a camp-arm that might be signed to the Practice Squad.

As for me:

- Devin Thomas has a great preseason if healthy, pushes Randle El for playing time at #2

- H.B. Blades wins the starting spot at SAM LB.

- Following in the footsteps of Stuart Schweigert, Robert Thomas gets cut before the regular season starts.

- Opening-day DEs are Orakpo, Carter, Daniels, Alexander, Jackson; Wynn is cut.

- James Thrash manages, for the final time, to keep a roster spot.

- Mike Williams manages to win a roster spot, though does not start.

I am not sure on the Wynn one. I think Wynn could beat out Jackson but Vinny would want to a keep a younger draft pick.

there are a lot of disconnects on Tryon.

people either rave about his potential or point to his lack of the same :laugh:

what I read over the spring is that Tryon was a reach at #4 and could have been had in the 6th or 7th round, and that was how many clubs had him rated on their boards.

so, if one is to believe that, it is hard to see how a player with late second day draft appeal is a good bet to make an NFL roster.

at the same time if you throw all that out, you are still looking at a player that is under 5'9 and seems to be challenged to keep up with NFL receivers - just based on what we saw in camp and preseason last year.

I really don't see Tryon as a bet to be a down the road replacement for Rogers or Smoot.

I think if Barnes moves up and joins Hall as a starter in 2010, the club will go out and sign a veteran #3 in FA or use a first day pick on a successor.

If Colt Brennan continues to impress in pre-season (yeah, I know pre-season is only pre-season) there's no way he's not a Redskin the following year.......Snyder would have to be a buffoon not to keep him. Brennan may wind up being a fabulous backup for his NFL career.....and all the really good teams have always had really decent backup QBs.

I think Campbell has a better than expected year and gets a new contract with the Skins afterall....especially when he leads them into the playoffs. Yup, the Skins are going to the playoffs this season with a 10-6 or 11-5 record.

there are a lot of disconnects on Tryon.

people either rave about his potential or point to his lack of the same :laugh:

what I read over the spring is that Tryon was a reach at #4 and could have been had in the 6th or 7th round, and that was how many clubs had him rated on their boards.

so, if one is to believe that, it is hard to see how a player with late second day draft appeal is a good bet to make an NFL roster.

at the same time if you throw all that out, you are still looking at a player that is under 5'9 and seems to be challenged to keep up with NFL receivers - just based on what we saw in camp and preseason last year.

I really don't see Tryon as a bet to be a down the road replacement for Rogers or Smoot.

I think if Barnes moves up and joins Hall as a starter in 2010, the club will go out and sign a veteran #3 in FA or use a first day pick on a successor.

I didn't like the Tryon pick and said so at the time. And he looked bad in pre-season, although rookie CBs often take some time. I did attend the Baltimore game and he was put in for a couple of plays and he had his guys well covered, so that was the first time I saw any real potential from him (apart from simply liking his quickness).

And my point certainly wasn't that he replaces Smoot and/or Rogers. But that he likely will be the #5 guy this year, and elevate to #4 behind Hall, Barnes and whoever else (hopefully Rogers) in 2010.

I just don't see them throwin in the towel on him so quickly uness they are sure they were completley wrong on him a year ago. And ST play I don't see as being the reason for that.

Keep in mind they cut Torrence, a solid vet CB who was good on Special Teams, in favor of Tryon, just half a season ago.

I think Campbell as noted will improve. The question is whether a season where he improves to be a solid signal caller is enough for Snyder to sink a long-term deal into a player that doesn't have much charisma or media appeal to be the face of the franchise.

While that may not be a consideration in Pittsburgh or New England where winning is perhaps higher on the list of priorities, I think it IS a consideration here.

Snyder is looking around for Redskins to emerge that he can market to the community.

The only way the quiet and understated Campbell can do that is to win big.

-Campbell makes noticeable strides in improvement and answers the QB question and re-signs a moderate extension to be our QB for the foreseeable future..

-Portis has his typical season, Betts sees his time reduced by Aldridge who brings an explosive element to the offense.

-Thomas emerges as the #2 WR, El makes his hay as the slot WR, Kelly is inconsistent as a 3rd down/red zone option due to inexperience not injury.

-Cooley's overall numbers are down but his scoring production is up. Davis makes some impact but doesn't get the touches to justify his draft slot.

-M. Williams makes the team but is inactive most weeks and makes no impact.

-Heyer wins the job out of training camp, is average, not great but solidifies the position for '09.

-Thomas eventually yields the starting RG position to Bridges with Rinehart getting a chance but shows he's not quite ready yet while showing promise for the future.

-Orapko will have an up and down rookie year overall, but will post decent sack totals (5-8).

-The SLB position will be a revolving door and be a weakness that good teams exploit against us.

-Hall and Rogers form a solid CB tandem with Hall getting a Pro Bowl berth..

-Horton will be exposed a lot in his coverage and his athletic limitations and lose his starting spot.

-Landry's impact will still be muted by him being 20 yards off the ball.

Nice post bro,

here's where i agree or disagree: +/-/=

+ With Fabini and Geisinger gone there will be *ahem* r o o m ;) for Big Mike

plus everyone was in on his signing Vinny, Buges, Doc

Stephon Heyer will win the RT job in camp and the preseason.
++ He won it last season and i think he's better now then he was then
+ I think it might happen by regular season game 1
- Zorn loves Thrash and if Shelton plays special teams maybe b/c he would be a younger although less accomplished version of JT
- Edwin Williams (OC) and Derek Walker (DE) have a good chance to make the final roster or practice squad as UDFAs
+ Edwin Williams i think he might make the roster outright...we don't have another true C on the roster (i must admit that i am a Terp Alum), -Derek Walker
-- He was looking good on ST by years end and Smoot wasn't looking good in coverage, imo has the quickness to play the nickel/dime back spot
- Devin Thomas will step up in 2009 to become the #3 receiver
++ I think Devin will push ARE into the Slot (where ARE belongs)
- Kevin Barnes will transition into Fred Smoot’s spot as the #3 corner by the end of the season
++ By midseason i could see him as the 3rd CB
- Jason Campbell’s play will improve but not enough to put him in the elite class or garner a top shelf long-term contract for 2010 and beyond
= I think JC will improve and earn a contract but not quite elite....yet
- Brian Orakpo will surprise NFL observers and play the run effectively at LDE at 263
= I don't think he'll get the chance in Blache's scheme he like his LDE more like a DT then a DE
- Fred Davis will continue to be lost in the shuffle at TE behind a prolific receiver (Cooley) and a first-class blocker (Yoder).
-- I'm believe that Zorn and Wachenhiem are going to make an effort to get Davis and Cooley on the field together and Davis had surpassed Yoder on the depth chart by last seasons end. Everyone seems to gush about the kid lately.
- Neither Dominique Dorsey nor Anthony Alridge will provide the answer at PR/KR
+ I think Rock is entrenched at KR and for good reason. For the PR i hope that Tana/Hall put pressure on ARE and among the trio the PR will be fine.

**But i think Zorn will get tyhe CFL dude involved in the passing game

- Haynesworth and Hall will make the pro bowl and justify the investments made in them
+
- Marcus Mason will once again lose out as the #4 running back on a team that carries 3
+
- Cody Glenn, Robert Henson will have trouble nailing down jobs for 2009 and the Redskins will sign another veteran linebacker during camp/preseason for depth as well as another undrafted rookie or two
+ But no veteran signings
- Todd Collins and Colt Brennan are in their final seasons with the Redskins
= Collins is gone; Colt stays he's Zorn's pet project
– whether the team retains Campbell or not, I think you see a new #2 and #3 in 2010.
- New #2 same #3
While he might not make the 2009 roster, the signing of Chase Daniel is evidence the Redskins are not set behind Campbell in terms of development talent at qb.
- I think Zorn and Meidt like Chase as another QB 'project' and Chase makes the practice squad or suffers a mysterious injury that lands him on IR

My preliminary take based on what the team has done in the offseason and where things seem to be headed:

Mike Williams CUT? I have no clue at this point if he will make the team or be cut and you don't either. We can't be in his kitchen to see if he is chomping down on another Pizza Hut pizza or if he is eating his green leafy vegetables, but regardless of his weight, this is about his DESIRE to play the game. Does he have it back? I don't know. I just hope he does. If he has the will and desire, he will make the club and end up starting. If he has lost the desire but can't lose the weight..he will be cut.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I also have no idea who Trent Shelton is. I do know who Roydell Williams is and he was signed to be a receiver along with Moss and A.R.E so that leaves on 2 slots left.

Devin Thomas is making this club. So that leaves only one because the team only carries 5 wideouts.

Choose between Marco and Kelly to fill that 5th slot....and I still have no idea who Shleton is. P.S. Thrash is not making this team. He has been a good Redskin and he's a fine human being, but we're movin on, UNLESS Zorn can be convinced by Danny Smith to keep Thrash soley as a special teams guy. But there will be FIVE receivers and the 6th will be on the practice squad.

I think this is the year that we have to say its Thrash or Rock that have to be cut. They both have been major contributors to the team on ST and nobody should ever forget that. However, we need to address the WR situation and Thrash is eating up a very valuable roster spot there and takes playing time away from younguns that need to develop. That and I firmly believe that Roydell Williams fits on this team if he contribute beyond WR at all.

Rock on the other hand is solid at his ST responsibilities and can help once and a while at RB or maybe even FB in a pinch. The fact that we have no hint of a backup to Mike Sellars is the main reason I think Rock stays. If anyone's earned their spot on the roster as a ST only player its him, he contributes everywhere they put him.

I'm a big fan of getting some youngun like mason to do kickoff returns and mix him in with the RB crew. The kid needs to become a value to us in ST on both sides.

I disagree with your back up QB statements. Brennen will be on your team next season, Campbell may not, and I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Collins. You need a true starter, not career backups, and Brennen may be your guy. He's got a good strong arm and Zorn will work with him to get him to starter level.

I think the guy actually makes it but not as a starter.

- Stephon Heyer will win the RT job in camp and the preseason.

Believe it when I see it. I think the guy is shaping up to be a career backup which is a lot better than most UDFA ever are so we should still be pleased.

Only if Thomas get injured, which is possible.

Not much of a stretch. He should not have made it last year, having been clearly out played by Richardson. Then he was saved again when the team let go of Torrence who was clearly a better Special Teamer.

- Todd Collins and Colt Brennan are in their final seasons with the Redskins – whether the team retains Campbell or not, I think you see a new #2 and #3 in 2010. While he might not make the 2009 roster, the signing of Chase Daniel is evidence the Redskins are not set behind Campbell in terms of development talent at qb.

This means nothing. The Skins have signed a 4th QB for camp nearly every year for a while now. They just need the extra arm to work all the receivers without wearing out Campbell. However, I do wonder if maybe Daniel has a shot because he ran the spread in college and could be a "Wildcat" type trigger man. Zorn mentioned last year that he would love to add that sort of package but did not have a guy to run it.

- Devin Thomas has a great preseason if healthy, pushes Randle El for playing time at #2

I keep reading guys say this and I don't get it. Thomas was drafted to play the same WR position as Moss, not ARE. Kelly was drafted to play ARE's side of the ball (they are two different positions). I see Thomas getting some time when the team goes with 3 WR packages and when Moss needs a blow but Kelly should be the guy who is pushing ARE for playing time with ARE moving to more slot play.

Alridge is a real long shot to make the roster. He really lacks the size to be a regular contributor at the NFL level.

People are in love with 5'8 backs because Sproles is 5'8 but the fact remains that Sproles has excellent lower body strength and balance that allows him to break tackles and get into the open field.

I don't see Alridge as a player with the same kind of physical upside or natural instincts to play the position.

Alridge won't make the final roster unless he can unseat Rock Cartwright as the team's KR.

And I don't see that happening.

Archived