Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sosa suspended 8 games

jbooma

The amazing thing about this article is the post beat ESPN and CNNSI by 20 minutes :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23782-2003Jun6.html

Associated Press

Friday, June 6, 2003; 12:40 PM

CHICAGO - Sammy Sosa was suspended for eight games by major league baseball Friday for using a corked bat.

The Cubs slugger will appeal the suspension, said Jim Hendry, the team's general manager. The appeal will make Sosa available for a four-game series against the New York Yankees.

"We support him in his appeal," Hendry said. "We have no reason to believe it was anything more than a one-time incident. We will support him and his right exercise and appeal."

The appeal had to be filed before Friday's game so he could play.

he gets to appeal so he can play against the Yanks and draw a bigger crowd and some folks can make more money. but the appeal IS part of the process and is his right in the MLB rules. this is getting more coverage than a Super Bowl star trying to run over his wife and kid with a Hummer!!!

He got caught red handed so they definitly should of suspended him without an appeal, but this is the first time since the 1938 World Series that these two teams have meet at Wrigley field AND Roger Clemens is going for his 300th win against fellow Texan Kerry Wood, so it was pretty much a given that he was going to play somehow.

This is excerpted from yesterday's USA Today.

Advantages in question

Hitters often believe that a corked bat gives them an advantage. Players drill a hole and fill it with cork, then close the hole with glue and sawdust. The bat is lighter without giving up mass, and players are able to get around on a fastball faster. Or so the theory goes.

But some experts say cork fillers reduce the distance a ball can be hit, about 3 feet on a 400-foot drive, according to Robert K. Adair, author of The Physics of Baseball. Adair writes that the same advantages can be gotten by choking up on the bat about an inch.

So, putting aside the rules violation, let's say this is true, that a corked bat does NOT give the hitter any advantage.

Does the violation then warrant an 8 day suspension? Should Sosa's homerun ability be tarnished?

Just so it's understood. I'm no fan of Sosa's. In fact, I don't like any player that doesn't play for the Texas Rangers.

maybe i'm a little harsh, but he should be banned from baseball. he is a professional and he was caught cheating. it is his responsability to grab the correct bat, dont give me that 'one time mistake" how do we know? if his bat hadnt broke, we still wouldnt know. Do you honestly think he would have told the mlb officials about it if the bat didnt break(assuming he realized it was corked when he got back to the dug-out)?hell no. the question is how many times has he done this and got away with it before, i'd be willing to bet that it was more than once. i dont follow baseball too much, but i heard he was going through a slump, and he accidently grabs a corked bat that helps with distance, coincidense? you be the judge.

Craig Nettles was caught in the 70s with a bat stuffed with rubber balls. He got no suspension. 8 games is the norm now. His other bats were tested and they were clean. He spoke the truth. It was a BP bat that he grabbed by mistake. He should pay the price (8 games) and his records should not come into question.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Craig Nettles was caught in the 70s with a bat stuffed with rubber balls. He got no suspension. 8 games is the norm now. His other bats were tested and they were clean. He spoke the truth. It was a BP bat that he grabbed by mistake. He should pay the price (8 games) and his records should not come into question.

I believe there was nothing at the time in the rulebooks that prevented Nettles from doing what he did.

When that occurred - baseballl quickly corrected their oversight.

As for Sosa - he knew full well which bat he had. No major league player in unaware of what bat they are using - their bats are their babies. Hell, they won't even let their own teammates touch them usually.

Sosa tried to bend the rules - he got caught - and now he will have to sit out his time. He should be have been suspended without pay (IMHO) - but I guess 700k+ is a lot of $'s to fine someone....

Archived