Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

any progress on Champ's extension?

NoCalMike

Damn Bush League Bufford, you had me thinking there for a moment -

"Man, didn't I read the Post yesterday? Why didn't I see the story?"

I wouldn't look for anything to get done until late in the season, early next off season (just before FA).

Actually Phat Hog, if Bailey doesn't get re-upped before the end of the upcoming season the chances are probably good that he ends up getting franchised. The longer the season goes, the less of a chance he has of being injured before the end of it and hence having that drive down his F.A. windfall.

It would really suck pretty badly if Champ got franchised and another team decided to give us the two first rounders. Seeing us lose him under such a scenario would be awful. However, seeing him go to a team with low first round draft picks like say The Packers, Broncos, Dolts, or Falcons would just be nauseating. :puke:

Originally posted by Yusuf06

Actually Phat Hog, if Bailey doesn't get re-upped before the end of the upcoming season the chances are probably good that he ends up getting franchised.

Yea... I can get with that Yusuf - unfortunately. I'm still holding out hope he'll be another Jon Jansen, and get signed before FA hits. But I wouldn't be surprised if the F tag is slapped on him. I'm sure someone would give up two #1s - which means we start over again with a big question mark -

Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that with a Franchise tag, as opposed to a Tranistion Player, no one can sign him period. We have to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position but he is off limits.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that with a Franchise tag, as opposed to a Tranistion Player, no one can sign him period. We have to pay him the average of the top 5 at his position but he is off limits.

When was the last time a team gave up 2 #1's for a franchise player?

Here is the rule:

"Each Club can designate one of its players who would otherwise be an UFA or RFA as a Franchise Player each season. Any Club that designates a Franchise Player shall be the only Club with which that Franchise Player may negotiate or sign a contract. In order to designate an UFA or RFA as a Franchise Player, the team must tender the player a one year contract for the average of the five largest prior year salaries for players at the position at which he played the most games during the prior year, or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater. Here is the kicker: the player shall be permitted to negotiate a contract with any Club as if he were an UFA; however, Draft Choice Compensation of TWO first round draft selections shall be awarded to the prior club in the event that he signs with the new club. If the player elects to play with the prior club (the team that designated him with the Franchise tag) and does not negotiate another contract with that team, then the one year salary is guaranteed. Also, if the prior club elects to withdraw the qualifying offer, the player becomes an UFA."

However it seems the teams that have traded the franchise player non have been getting 2 #1's, that is why I don't think someone would give 2 #1's for Champ.

Dallas gave Seattle two No. 1s for Joey Galloway, but, I can't remember if he was franchised or not. It is rare to give that much, but in Champ's case with his youth, he'd be a sure bet that someone would make a move. That's ok too. My guess is we'll sign him in the end, but, I don't think it'll get done until later in the year and ONLY then if there are serious signs that the Redskins are a team ready to emerge. Those signs can be there even if we are a poor team after a terrible early start, but, the talent starts to come together and it's clear keeping it together could mean a good run the next few years.

At this point I think we are in no danger of losing Bailey, Arrington or Samuels IF we show we are a team that is making the steps necessary to be a playoff level team and contending team. If not, you're going to find these guys less willing to work with us and we'll end up losing one or two. However, if these guys aren't the type of players to help get the team to that level, then being without them can't be considered all that terrible a thing.

I agree with Art, I believe the deal will be done later in the year.

A shutdown corner, especially one that has name recognition throughout the football country, is too valuable to let go. I can't imagine he'll be wearing anything but B&G. However, as Art alluded to, being part of a winning organization will likely be an important part of the negotiations. Not many teams fight to keep a player who flat out doesn't want to be there.

Guest Trevor

I wouldn't be surprised if Champ left. I say that because I own a #24 jersey and every jersey I get, the player leaves shortly after or becomes a bust.

I had this girlfriend who would buy me jerseys when she saw them all sale. They were from various teams. The first one she bought me was Heath Shuler. Well we all know how that went. The 2nd one she bought was a Marshall Faulk Colts jersey. He was traded 3 months later. Then she got me a Junior Seau chargers jersey. I thought wow this one will last, well we all saw that didn't happen. Then it was the Champ jersey and last a Ricky Williams Saints jersey. Ricky was dealt less than two months after. The only one left is Champ. Good thing I dumped the girl before she got me a LaVar or Ramsey jersey.

Archived