Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Wrap-Up 2009

bulldog

1. Orakpo fell unexpectedly to #13 and the Redskins got unanticipated value with this selection. In some ways this reminds me of the fall of Warren Sapp in the draft when Tony Dungy took him way down from where he was expected to go and was rewarded for years to come.

2. Kevin Barnes looks like a keeper to me. His height 6'1 and vertical leap are strong pluses and he is a physical tackler, although he only has good rather than excellent top line speed. I don't think there is any doubt Barnes was drafted because the team is concerned that Justin Tryon is not going to be in strong position compete for either the #3 or #4 cornerback positions in 2009 and may not make the final roster.

Here is where the draft went a bit askew for me. Not that I was upset at the club taking outside linebacker, a position of definite need with MW's departure and Rocky McIntosh's ongoing health issues.

But neither #5, Cody Glenn nor #6 Robert Horton seemed to be players that have much NFL upside.

Glenn came in as a running back and only started half a season worth of games at linebacker in 2008. Is that enough evidence to spend a #5 pick on a player at a certain position?

Horton has 4.7 speed. At 6'0 and 240 I don't see him on the outside in the NFL and the Redskins already seem to have an inside prospect in HB Blades who is still young and has helped the team playing out of position at SAM.

Heading into the 7th round I was hoping to see a developmental linemen on either side of the ball or perhaps another wide receiver to hedge some bets on what last year's class may contribute in 2009.

Eddie Williams, the first of the 7th rounders, is a 6'1 239 tight end. A position where there is a bit of a crowd at present with Cooley, Yoder and last year's #2 from USC Fred Davis.

Some have suggested that Williams may project to fullback but I don't see any evidence in the draft bios that he is a strong blocker. Instead he is described as a receiver with good hands.

Again, let's scratch our heads in trying to find a place where Williams plays here in 2009.

In the cases of both Henson and Williams, it doesn't take a long-shot guess that either or both players were probably going to be available AFTER the draft as free agents, so why spend picks on them?

The final choice, Marko Mitchell I like. He is the one pick after Barnes that to me makes sense. He has the physical skills to make an NFL roster. Size, speed, etc. Like any second day player he is raw and needs to learn how to play WR in the NFL, but if healthy and a fast learner might be able to provide a physical presence in the passing game as a secondary receiver.

And to me that's what we are looking for in the later rounds, physically talented players that due to late blossoming, previous injury or raw skills are not included as candidates for Day 1 selection.

So, picks #1, #3 and #7 (243) look like winners to me.

I am less sure of the potential of the #5, #6 and #7 (221) picks to make a mark in camp and be in the mix for a final roster spot.

Glenn, Henson and Williams look an AWFUL LOT like the Dallas Sartz, Nehemiah Broughton picks that were made in 2005.

I hope they prove me wrong.

What's interesting is that we seem to get players that have multiple flaws.

If we're going to go off the radar and get some guys who don't get a lot of love, I'd expect these guys to have a relatively clean bill of health.

If we were getting top talent that had injury concerns, I'd get that too.

But to get no name guys with questionable upside who also have injury concerns... just weird.

Let's hope for some gems here. Newberry, McCune, Sartz, Simon, Nemo, Ecker... a horror show of lame duck picks late.

What's interesting is that we seem to get players that have multiple flaws.

If we're going to go off the radar and get some guys who don't get a lot of love, I'd expect these guys to have a relatively clean bill of health.

If we were getting top talent that had injury concerns, I'd get that too.

But to get no name guys with questionable upside who also have injury concerns... just weird.

Let's hope for some gems here. Newberry, McCune, Sartz, Simon, Nemo, Ecker... a horror show of lame duck picks late.

To get players to workout it's called consistency. You need the same good coaches coaching these players and you need to have one head coach. You cant have coaches coming in trying to change things everything 2-3 years changing ****.

There never seems to be any type of "plan" with our late round players which add long term depth to the roster

How many late round LBs have we taken over the past 4-5 years? Our record drafting LBs is terrible save for Rocky and HB

McCune was bust

Simon a bust

Sartz a bust

LBs and TEs, in theory are good late round picks because you can use them as special teams guys. However none of our past big guys in the late rounds have done that

Confusing for sure

I often find myself wondering why we draft the way we do at the back ends of drafts. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

But then again, it doesn't have to. As long as the FO had a plan...

I'm just scared they really don't other than special teams depth...

I often find myself wondering why we draft the way we do at the back ends of drafts. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

But then again, it doesn't have to. As long as the FO had a plan...

I'm just scared they really don't other than special teams depth...

A few years ago in the 2005 draft I thought there was a plan

A lot of H-back type guys and linebackers. Made sense for the way Gibbs coached and Williams coached

Turns out nobody, but JC and Carlos, and those guys barely, are still with us

I am happy to see potential special teams depth. But medium athletic linebackers?

Archived