Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marques Hagans as Punt Returner

Dcskins71

What does everyone here think about the possibility of Marques Hagans making this squad primarily as a punt returner. Being a UVA fan i know that he was a pretty darn good returner at UVA... So i believe if he can make this team he can solve our problems at punt returner...What do you all think?

He would have to be a fantastic returner to make the team strictly in that role. I don't think we'll carry more than 5 WR's this year and at least one of them needs to be a ST guy. Malcolm definitely won't be gunning as it's hard enough to keep him healthy and ARE and SM won't be either as starters and part time returners. I doubt we see DT in that role either as the coaches are going to want to keep him focused on WR in hopes he can get some actual PT. In my opinion it's either Thrash again or a younger version that can play on all of the ST units.

Now honestly I've never seen Hagans play so maybe he is that good of a returner. At the same time, due to the fact that I've not once seem him play college or pro, I assume he wasn't cranking out highlight reel returns.

People would have complained mercilessly about getting another shrimp receiver, and he would have definitely not had anywhere near the production he did there.

He would have been deep threat No.2 and would have beaten out Randle El, who is on par with Stokley in Denver, if maybe slightly better. Moss would not have been blanketed with double-coverage.

Call me crazy, but I'm expecting Thrash to get his walking papers this year.

If Thrash leaves, our special teams would go to pot! He is the only thing holding it together. He makes plays that you regular football watchers don't appreciate... Also, How would we survive without Thrash's blocking on run plays?

Oh, wait. I don't believe any of that. He should've been cut two years ago.

I like the idea of putting someone new back there for punts. No to D-Hall or Moss, though, unless the game is on the line... Not sure if Hagans is dynamic enough to keep just for his punt return skills, though...

Call me crazy, but I'm expecting Thrash to get his walking papers this year.

I'd expect that in 2010 unless we wind up with a ST ace late in the draft. With a full set of picks next year we can afford to blow one on a late round WR to groom/play teams. This year we don't have that luxury and we don't seem to have someone that can step into that role.

Remember we haven't resigned Khary Campbell who is always one of our ST leaders and Rock Cartwright could be fighting for a roster spot if Dorsey/Aldridge light it up as returners or we address RB in the draft. I'd love Kassim Osgood from San Diego but we can't afford to give up any of our picks in a trade this year.

Archived