Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help Me, I Injured My Foot At Work

Get Pissed

Ok, I work at Papa Johns but tomorrow I start a Warehouse gig full time thus I am quitting Papa Johns. However there is a problem, I injured my foot on Saturday and it still hurts and I am in no shape to physically lift furniture and other items for my new job.

On this past Saturday I worked 10am-1pm then had to come back in and work 6pm-10:30pm. From 10-1 we went and put flyer/coupons on peoples doors housing house to house walking. Not a problem I have done this many times. About half way through there was a throbbing pain on the outer arch- favoring a little bit of my heel on my right foot. I tried to work through the pain and then it got to be too unbearable. About an hour later the pain was so intense I had my co worker drive us back to the store to clock out because I couldnt continue. As I limped into the restaurant to clock out my jerk manager asked if I injured myself and I said yes and he didn't say anything.

I got home took advil, stayed off my feet for two hours and it still killed. I called work at 3:30 knowing I had to be in at 6 and spoke to my manager. I said, "Mike, my foot kills me I can't walk. I got home, downed advil, stayed off my feet for 2 hours. I know it sounds like the wussiest injury, getting injured going house to house. It was a freak accident I'm still very confused about the whole thing." He says, "so." And I said, "So I can't walk. At all, and I won't be coming in today." He said, "fine" and hung up.

On Sunday I had work at 4pm and my right foot still killed me when I woke up. So I called again and he said I didn't have to come in.

It's now Monday- 48 hours after injury and it still hurts. It hurt less than it didnt when I first noticed the injury but it still hurts badly. I don't know what I can/ should do.

It sucks since I start a new job tomorrow and I doubt it will heal in that time. I can't see a doctor because I don't have insurance, but I am insured by Papa and technically I was on the job when I injured myself. Should I try and fight for this and see a doctor on their insurance?? I will admit I was wearing sandals (smart right) when I got injured instead of something more foot friendly like sneakers. But I have gone door to door in sandals before with out any pain. Also why does only the lower heel/arch area hurt on my right foot and not my left??

This just all around sucks. Any recommendations for what I should do legally/doctor wise? And any advice to make it heal? Nothing seems broken it seems maybe torn or bruised in that area. There isn't any majore bruising or swelling. Please help and thanks for reading!

Talk to your manager at Papa Johns about filing a worker's comp claim, and get the procedure from him. They should refer you immediately to a doctor, and your medical expenses should be completely covered. To the degree that you're entitled to compensation for time missed from work, you're going to have a pretty sticky issue considering it was your last day of work, and technically you aren't missing any more time on Papa Johns clock.

You'll just have to see how your worker's comp board responds. (If they're like most WC boards, they'll go by the standby motto, "Deny, deny, deny.")

Then talk to a worker's comp attorney.

Talk to your manager at Papa Johns about filing a worker's comp claim, and get the procedure from him. They should refer you immediately to a doctor, and your medical expenses should be completely covered. To the degree that you're entitled to compensation for time missed from work, you're going to have a pretty sticky issue considering it was your last day of work, and technically you aren't missing any more time on Papa Johns clock.

You'll just have to see how your worker's comp board responds. (If they're like most WC boards, they'll go by the standby motto, "Deny, deny, deny.")

See I actually technically am scheduled for this Sunday as my last shift. So I called off my 3rd to last and 2nd to last shift, but I still have one more shift that I am scheduled for which based off of what u said helps in my advantage a lot

This is pretty much exactly what you need to do.

1) Talk to your boss and get worker's comp insurance information from him. He is required to supply you with that.

2) Make an appointment with an orthopedic ASAP and let them know you are filing for worker's comp. If they require a primary care physician referral prior to making a specialized ortho appointment, then call your

PCP and make an appointment immediately. If it is something they cannot handle, s/he will refer you to an ortho.

3) When you go in for your appointment with whatever physician you end up with, tell the front desk that this is a worker's comp claim because they will give you additional paperwork to fill out. Get used to it. Also prepare for a fight with comp. As far as I'm concerned, they are a bunch of jerks bent on denying everything possible...just like most insurance companies...but worse.

Good luck with your foot and your new job. :)

I am suprised Papa Johns wasn't shoving paper work in your face almost immediately.

Employers normally aren't big on employees filing for WC...especially with "minor" injuries...as in this case as evidenced by the boss's dismissal of the injury as minor (at least that's how it appears to me). That's what I've found in my experience.

That's the revised standby motto. The original standby motto was "Deny. Deny. Deny. Deny. [Eff] 'em"

That's the revised standby motto. The original standby motto was "Deny. Deny. Deny. Deny. [Eff] 'em"

Guess it depends on what state you're talking about. I know that in NY the WCB is very pro-claimant. It's basically a way to lessen the strain on the unemployment system. They give the claimants anything and everything even when it's obvious the claimant is a scammer.

So I wanted to update everyone. I decided not to file workers comp. I CAN walk on it even though it hurts. I just feel its not broken or anything major. I just didnt want to go through all the mess of finally getting to the doctors and and my X rays being negative and the Doc tells me to rest it, ice it, and maybe give me prescription.

Maybe I made the wrong choice but we'll know in time. I was able to delay my first day of work with the new job tomorrow (Wednesday) and my future boss is very understanding. I'm just icing the crap out of it and not putting any pressure on it.

Thanks everyone for your insights. I guess we'll know tomorrow if it ended up being the right or wrong choice.

So I wanted to update everyone. I decided not to file workers comp. I CAN walk on it even though it hurts. I just feel its not broken or anything major. I just didnt want to go through all the mess of finally getting to the doctors and and my X rays being negative and the Doc tells me to rest it, ice it, and maybe give me prescription.

Maybe I made the wrong choice but we'll know in time. I was able to delay my first day of work with the new job tomorrow (Wednesday) and my future boss is very understanding. I'm just icing the crap out of it and not putting any pressure on it.

Thanks everyone for your insights. I guess we'll know tomorrow if it ended up being the right or wrong choice.

Well, as an attorney who has handled WC claims before, I think you're making a remarkably bad decision. The problem isn't whether or not you'll know tomorrow that it was a bad choice.

The problem is that it could be years from now before you realize it was a bad choice as its possible that what was once a fairly insignificant injury becomes something much more serious.

Papa Johns pays into a worker's compensation fund in every state in which they operate, much like insurance. That fund then pays for whatever on-the-job injuries might occur at Papa Johns, and in exchange, you aren't allowed to sue Papa Johns for a non-negligent injury to yourself on their clock.

You're basically saying, "No, I don't want this free medical care, which covers not only the present problem, but any problem that could develop from this problem in the future."

I'm with EersSkins05 with this.

After a couple of days, maybe a week, you might be feeling 100%, but not knowing what damage may have occurred, in 5-6 years later, if your foot flares up, you have no recourse and you have to deal with it at your own expense.

I reported and logged ALL injuries I received when I was working, no matter how minor. In fact, I know of someone who got, of all things, a splinter (he felt embarrassed to report it), but when the resultant infection caused the finger to be amputated, he wasn't so embarrassed then.

I don't know how WC works in the US, but any work related injury expenses are covered by the employer here, even the initial visit to the doctor (yes, just fill in a form), and if that injury causes health issues in the future, you have proof that it was an old work injury, and that the employer is responsible for expenses.

However, if you happen to aggravate the injury at your new job, who will you hit up for the workers compensation?

Archived