Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who here has actually played football?

Henry

Started at WR/RB/TE 1 year on High School JV and 2 years on Varisty. Led Varsity in receptions for 2 years. Averaged 19 yards per catch junior year (24 catches).

Played 2 years of club football in college. Broke 2 ribs vs. East Carolina and retired.

Diplomat's kid. They didn't have organized football in my schools in Chile & Argentina.

If they had, though, I woulda been the best damn just-a-bit-too-slow and probably an inch-or-two-short-for-college-ball free safety and/or TE/slot receiver ever to come out of Nido de Aguilas (Santiago) or Lincoln School (Buenos Aires).

By the time I got back stateside, for just my senior year of HS ... the train had long since left the station on my career.

But I don't like to talk about it.

Bantam league through high school. Started 3 years at SS in high school and was All-District the last two after picking off 6 passes each year (they didn't throw that much 25 years ago). Good nose for the ball but sub-par wheels--too slow to move on to the next level. That's why Sammy Knight was my favorite Saint until he left this year in free agency. I won't be able to identify with Bowen because he's too fast. I can type fast, though.

started playing pee-wee in the fifth grade.... lettered at lafayette HS, williamsburg, VA. played monster man (roving S), OG, DE @ 5'10" 160lbs.

notable opponents:

the cousinsvickandbrooksdaily%20press.jpg

more recognizable from this shot

vick.jpg the other is Aaron Brooks

and

macklin2.jpgnow of the COLTS

I played from eigth through twelfth. OT, DT, NG, RB, C, special teams.

Actually, I was in junior high at the time the Bears made the Fridge a running back and my coach thought it would be a good idea to do the same thing with me. We were having such a hard time running in the two point conversions. Four games in and we still hadn't done it. He put me back there and we made every two point conversion for the rest of the year.

I played two years of pee-wee ball as a RB and MLB.

One year of JV ball as a C and a DE.

Four years of Varsity ball where I played C, OG, NT, and DE and was a long snapper for a couple of years. I went All-State as an OG in my senior year and received honorable mention as a DE. I decided to take a partial scholarship offer from a college in Tenn. but tore my right knee up in summer practice and that was the end of that. I never saw the field in college. That was the summer of 88’.

I have tried my hand at Rugby and Hockey over the years with some success but Football was always my favorite. I had a buddy who almost had me convinced to try out for the semi-pro football team here about a year ago (I’m still work out regularly) but I decided against it.

played TE and cornerback from 4th grade-8th. in my last season i was awarded MVP, of our county league. played WR my freshmen year in H.S., but then moved out of the country, where there was no american football, for my sophmore and junior year.

Played J.V. from 7th to 9th....Varsity from 9th to 12th..started at lber from 10th to 12th...saw double duty as a guard as a 12th grader...claim to fame....made all stars at UF Football camp as a 9th grader and became friends with Chris Doering.

For McLean high in 1975, JV and moved up to varsity for the last game my sophomore year. The coaches thought they were Vince Lombardi and they weren't, and were real pains in the asses. I didn't go out for football which ticked them off because my 60 time was somthing like 6.4 though they did time me at 6.3 once (winter track). I think the 6.3 timing was a screw up. I averaged something like 7.1 yards a carry on J.V. I lettered in track in college and ran in the Drake relays. I got interested in pumping iron after that. If I could have put it all together, six foot tall, 200 pounds deadlifting 450 I probably had good potential except I was too much of a ***** probably. I never liked hitting people. I liked fighting forest fire, falling burning snags and things like that.

Played soccer and baseball only as a kid. When I got to HS, wanted to give football a try. I was a huge redskins fan even then, but not having played, wasn't very familiar with positions. At our first team meeting, we had to write down the position we would try out for. Wasn't sure what to write, so I looked over at my bud Chris's paper. He wrote RG, so naturally I wrote LG. Unfortunately Chris was 6'3, 195 lbs. Me? 5'9, 150 lbs. I spent my freshman year getting plastered daily by a guy named Nelson Banglesdorf. He made an impression. Luckily for me, the track coach saw me running 600 yd dash at practice and from then on it was cross country and track. I was highly motivated and moderately talented for a white kid. 4:20 mile, 9:50 two mile. And I didn't have to pick myself up off the grass constantly.

Split end, two year varsity starter way back in 1977-78. I can still remember things about playing football like it was yesterday. Football is a great team sport where many friendships are forged. The guys you went to war with you never forget!

Played from pewees through college at the Division III level. Throughout the years, I played numerous positions on offense and defense but ended up as the weakside outside linebacker on my college team.

Loved the middle linebacker position and wrapped up HS at this position on a championship team. Back in the day, mid 80s, I liked to think of myself as a very smart, instinctive player that played with a lot of heart (loved to watch film which made it easy to play with heart because I didn't have to worry as much with thinking because things flowed naturally). Different coaches at the HS and college level commented that I was like a coach on the field. Never really figured out whether that was a compliment or they were just digging for something nice to say since I wasn't physically imposing or an overly gifted athlete. At 5'9" 165lbs, Division III schools wanted me to move to the outside and all schools above that level wanted me to move to strong safety.

The years of football definitely helped me to understand the game better than the average fan; however, it also taught me a lot about teamwork and how to approach life. I like to think I lead a fairly successful life and the game and the coaches that taught me the game were very instrumental in my successes. It would be interested to see a poll on everybody's thoughts on the impact of sports on their lives today.

Originally posted by Opiate-Zeo

I played when I was a kid.

Played Lacrosse once high school rolled around.

Played lacrosse in Jr high through High school. As well as football , MLB and TE,

Lacrosse is a great sport. I played defense and attack.

I coach lacrosse for my sons team here in PA. Heading to Pikesville MD for a Lax Max tournament next weekend.

Archived