Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good keyboard for a former piano player?

Slateman

So a long time ago, I used to play piano. Parents made me. I played quite a while till, after about 10 years, they let me quit.

Now, up until the last year, I hated it. It was useless. It took an hour out of my day. And it was gay. But the last year or so of it, I started playing music I knew and liked. However, when my parents said I could quit, I took my chance. Lately, I've kind of regretted it, especially after hearing the piano version of All Along the Watchtower I heard in Battlestar Galactica. I'd like to go back to it, but maybe play stuff I like.

I am about to go on a deployment to Al Asad Air Base. Basically, I'm looking at this as a 7 month vacation :D

What I would like to get is a keyboard that feels as close to a piano as I can afford but is still about the size of a guitar. What/where should I look?

In all honesty, you're probably not going to be able to find an 88-key weighted keyboard for $500, unless you find a deal for a used one.

I bought a Yamaha S80 about 8 years ago. Fantastic weighted action for a keyboard, and not a bad waveform library. You could probably find that somewhere for around $500. Heavy bugger though.

Actually, looking around at Musicians Friend (haven't looked in years), and the Yamaha P70 gets some pretty good reviews, new, at $500. http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-P70-88Key-Digital-Piano?sku=707070

Sounds like it's pretty light as well (28 lbs, most fully-weighted are much heavier).

Regardless, you'll need to shell out $150-$200 on top of that for a good case for it, especially if you're traveling with it.

Archived