Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Greaseman

stratoman

Worst acquisition ever by trade, draft, or FA?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Worst acquisition ever by trade, draft, or FA?

• Desmond Howard
    • Stubblefield
    • Heith Schuler
    • Gary Beban
    • That Johnson, tackle, guy, who never played for us.
    • That other dude

I saw him live when he was on 94.7. You know the crowd that laughs in the background is legit.

Fed us Pita Pockets and coffee. It was a trip.

Its really cool how he does the show. During commericals is when he's doing his calls. Then he plays them back like 2 min later.

The Stories are all in his head....he just goes off.

Sgt. Fury killed me....along with the stories about his Daddy and fat chicks.

The Best Of is on CD. I've got it but it doesn't sound live so its not as funny.

I loved his show back in the 80s. I occassionally listened to him on 94.7, but his act was getting a little old by then. Too bad he made that remark about dragging black people behind trucks and got himself fired.

I'm not sure if he made racist statements...he might have made some very politically incorrect statements but no necessarily racist statements.

It was pretty bad stuff. Sometime in the 80s he was talking about MLK day and said something to the effect of 'we should kill four more and get the rest of the week off.'

Then a few years ago on 94.7 he had just played a Lauren Hill song and displayed his distaste for the music by saying "Now I know why they drag those peope behind trucks.

I think the first time he made a public apology and was let off the hook, but the second time got him fired pretty quickly.

Originally posted by Henry

It was pretty bad stuff. Sometime in the 80s he was talking about MLK day and said something to the effect of 'we should kill four more and get the rest of the week off.'

Then a few years ago on 94.7 he had just played a Lauren Hill songand displayed his distaste for the music by saying "Now I know why they drag those peope behind trucks.

As much as I loved Nino, Henry is right. The stuff he said was NASTY.

I swear, after the first time, you'd think there would be someone sitting there with a delay button.

About ten years ago, he was out here in LA for about one year and did his schtick during afternoon drive time. It was funny, but there are only so many different things you can say that are funny before it starts sounding repetitious. He ended up getting fired because of low ratings.

Then a few years ago on 94.7 he had just played a Lauren Hill song and displayed his distaste for the music by saying "Now I know why they drag those peope behind trucks.

I think the first time he made a public apology and was let off the hook, but the second time got him fired pretty quickly.

The way I remember it, he said "If somebody did" not "we should" kill four more. But still.

At some point after LA he got hired in the Virgin Islands of all places, then his reputation preceeded him and he got fired before ever starting the job.

I heard it live. I couldn't believe he said it! I don't believe the comment was meant to be racist, more of an " incert foot in mouth"

statement.:doh:

He's one of those guys who's not a racist, but whose inflammatory, no-holds-barred humor leads him to cross lines that political correctness dictates he shouldn't cross. I'm not even sure guys like him are even conscious of those lines.

Anyway, even hearing about that line of his after the fact made me wince, knowing how inflammatory that was. He's a talented and entertaining guy, but he's also a loose cannon.

I've got about an hour's worth of Greaseman's bits on my PC at work that I download from his site. Great stuff. Not bad for a guy who followed Howard Stern at DC101.

I saw him perform live in Ocean City a couple times as well. Great show. If you thought he was bad on the radio, he was even raunchier live.

Oh baby I'm a redneck, can't help it I'm a redneck....

:laugh:

My favorite bit he did was during the first Gulf War. He did one of those traffic reports with the typical helicopter sound in the background, only this was a Baghdad city traffic report, when they were getting their Iraqi @sses whipped. Wish I could remember the details, but it was something along the lines of " and we've got 11 tanks overturned on westbound, 23 tanks smoldering on Exit 3 going into Baghdad....." etc...

hilarious, had to be there....

Then I saw him on BET a few years ago, after all the controversial remarks, and he was literally begging blacks for forgiveness, and I really believe he was being sincere. Like everyone said, he wasnt really a racist, just someone who didn't think twice about anything he said. What he said against blacks was wrong ; But you still gotta respect a guy who is bent on being himself, and doesnt let society's thinking and polictical 'rules' control or dictate his personality.

Georgia boy, somebody been usin that thang !

Doug Trachtman a/k/a Grease was and is an equal opportunity slayer. He was paid quite handsomely to walk the "cutting edge", and walked it about as fearlessly and creatively as anyone in the business. He may have lacked a certain internal censor after doing his schtik for many years ... I suspect that happens to all of them. YOu can't keep recycling the same stuff ... it's true of any artist or entertainer. Grease just got a bit too comfortable pushing the envelope, I think. That, or let something slip out of him mouth that he knew he shouldn't have even as he said i.

No way any of us can judge what was or is in his head or his heart, only what comes out of his mouth. Hence ... he got fired.

But he didn't single anybody out; for years and years he made fun of rednecks, latinos, blacks, orientals, gays, and anyone else who came under his muse's whim.

After the Lauren Hill remark got him fired for good, some news outlet produced a piece that compared the "worst" things he had said over the years with some stuff that higher-earning national jocks like Stern had gotten away with over the years, and he was no more offensive than any of them. In fact, the piece made a pretty convincing case he was LESS so.

The MLK Jr. and Hill remarks were, without a doubt, offensive as hell, and not just to blacks. But they were the kind of thing "shock jocks" get paid to say. Sometimes, they go too far.

By the way, those of us who are local here may remember when Grease went on John Thompson's WTEM show after the fall, and the utter, over the top embarrassment he allowed himself to be subjected to by the coach, who, for my money, pandered to his audience by excoriating and humiliating Trachtman to such an extent I finally had to turn it off.

From where I sit, Grease has paid for his sins big time, and continues to pay for them today. I believe he's a good man who let the very creativity and sharp tongue that made him say something seriously inappropriate -- at a time and place -- that destroyed him.

Archived