Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stephon Heyer at RT

bulldog

Edit: Point already made above.

About tipping our hand in terms of run or pass?

I mean, we could just leave them in for a full series or quarter randomly just to prevent them both from wearing down over the season. If a team calls a D to stop what they think we're going to do then they're opening themselves up to be gashed.

Point being, there are many ways to minimize the hand tipping.

The fact that we drafted a Tackle in the 3rd last year, went after a Tackle in Free Agency, and Vinny saying we need to address the OL should tell you something about Heyer and Jansen.

Rhino is to slow, so you move him inside no real loss. This should lead you to believe that the FO will draft a Tackle in the first round(Trade down or not).

Heyer was horrible in some games, and decent in others. He's not a starting tackle in the league. There was a reason he was a UDFA! His run blocking is terrible and he has problems with speed rushers. Buges has tried to coach him up but I dont see the upside. He didnt look like he's improved that much. Bottom line: Heyer would not start for any other team in the league. Draft a RT in the first PLEASE!

Fast forward to 2008. The same 6'6 and 325 tackle is named the starter, suffers a sprained knee and then is on the shelf for the entire season. Jansen wears down noticeably after his first 5-6 starts and yet is allowed to finish out the season despite his alarming drop in effectiveness week to week. Heyer is nowhere to be found.

He started the 1st three games @ RT, started the Lions game @ LT, came in off the bench in the Ravens game and started the last 3 games @ LT.

After the 2008 season, OL is identified by the press, fans and NFL observers as a definite need area for the team and both Zorn and Bugel address some questions about the line. In those dialogues you see a (from my perspective) reversal on the earlier optimism about Heyer. You hear comments that he mixed up plays and took the wrong blocking angle on audibles. You hear that he had 'consistency' issues in blocking for the run game, that he didn't focus or show intensity play in and play out.

I've only heard our forum brethren and media clamoring for an OT i've heard the Redskins staff express the need to improve the OL but never heard them say anything negative about Heyer.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles...Line_32019.jsp

Stephon Heyer started five games in 2007 and seven last year, alternating at left and right tackle. In his third year, the former University of Maryland lineman could have a chance to cement a starting job.

It was thought Heyer accomplished that last year, when he opened the season as the starter at right tackle, but a shoulder injury sidelined him until midseason.

“Stephon can be as good as he wants to be,” Bugel said. “Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels have taken him under their wing and really worked him hard. His offseasons are critical because he grew up so fast as a young man he outgrew his body.

“Hopefully he can go through a season without having injuries. That’s the thing he hasn’t been able to conquer. Hopefully the third year is the charm for him because he has a great amount of talent.”

I would agree that Heyer didn't look very good when subbing for Chris Samuels at LT in spot duty during last season, but I thought the consensus was that he projected to RT in the future, so I should doubt his failings at LT would be held against him.

I thought Heyer played well at both OT spots.

I distinctly remember Tony Boselli prasing Heyer's play at the LT during the 49ers game.

Imo Heyer will be fine at RT he's young and has good veterans players and coaching around him i believe he can grow into a solid if not all-pro RT.

This is the fundamental question that exists within the OP's well-put rant....

How did you come to this conclusion? What did you see in Heyer that led you to this belief?

While the offense did very well in the last few games of the 07 season you could clearly see that Heyer needed help on majority of the plays. Atleast as far as I have seen him play he cannot hold his own. I think he is an good backup at both the tackle spots.

Heyer is currently a back up LT/back up RT.

He is not a mauling run blocker, so he doesnt seem like he is a starter at RT (which is why Jansen was good for us on the right for many years)

He is not an elite pass protector that you can count on to protect the blind side, although he is a good pass protector.

Since he is still young, hopefully he improves run blocking and can eventually develop into a average RT/ below average LT- (he simply doesnt have the athleticism to be a LT in the pros except for spot duty or with extra help).

He is not a starter now and may never be. He is a decent backup who we get rid of in 2 years if he hasnt improved to take a chance on someone else with more upside.

We have a great chance to take a OT in the draft this year who can begin his career at RT and possibly shift to LT in 1-3 years. (Oher, Smith). I would take Smith or Oher in a heart beat if they interview well.

For me the Heyer experiment has failed and should be shelved. He is what he is - a nice backup to have to insert for a limited amount of time in case of injury.

IMO, we need to have a complete overhaul at RG, C and RT by the start of next season. They played well for us and have been well compensated for their effort. It is time to move on.

We need to draft someone like Beatty who likely can start immediately at RT, keep him there for a couple of seasons, then have him and Samuels switch sides.

The right side of the line is the most problematic and we have done nothing to alleviate it thus far. I hope that changes.

:applause: Great post!...now let Vinny know.

The bread and butter of the Skins running attack for years under Bugel II has been running to the right side of the field, be it with zone blocking or good old counter trey.

Anyhow, look at the film from last year and you will see that when Heyer started, they stopped running to the right and started running to the left, behind a weaker Kendall (who was better against the pass) versus going behind Thomas and Heyer. Simply put, Heyer could not seal the edge against the run and was a liability.

Fast forward to when Jansen gets his starting job back, and lo and behold we start running to the right and correspondingly have a better running attack overall.

Jansen can't pass block and Heyer can't run block. Neither should be starting day 1.

Ding!

While the offense did very well in the last few games of the 07 season you could clearly see that Heyer needed help on majority of the plays. Atleast as far as I have seen him play he cannot hold his own. I think he is an good backup at both the tackle spots.

Also, how many times have we seen Heyer drop back and pass block on a run audible? His head does not seem to be in the game. Call a pass play and he seems to be fine. Call a run play and he he needs help. Audible from a pass play to the run and he looks stupid.

Archived