Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tennessee Titans DL Sack totals (How Al helps his fellow DL)

#98QBKiller

We all know Albert Haynesworth has a ton of sacks for a defensive tackle. Well, I was wondering how well he helped out his fellow defensive linemen's sack totals in Tennessee.

Here are the stats for 2008:

DTs:

Albert Haynesworth himself: 8.5 Sacks

Jason Jones: 5.0 Sacks

Tony Brown: 4.0 Sacks

Kevin Vickerson: 1.5 Sacks

DEs:

Jacob Ford: 7.0 Sacks

Dave Ball: 4.5 Sacks

Kyle Vanden Bosch: 4.5 Sacks

Javon Kearse: 3.5 Sacks

William Hayes: 1.0 Sack

The Titans as a team finished 5th in the NFL with 44 sacks total:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Looks to me like Al's biggest gift is freeing up his teammates to pressure the QB and (hopefully) force errors and get sacks.

There was no one on his team like DeMarcus Ware who carries 20 sacks a year, it seems that the sacks are more spread out to different players but plentiful nonetheless.

I'm very excited about how he could free up Andre Carter and Jason Taylor to go one-on-one with tackles all season. Not to mention how he can open gaps for blitzes.

Thoughts?

As of right now we seem to have a Championship-caliber defense. If our offense can even be mediocre we are going to go places.
Defense wins games. If you have playmakers on Defense, no matter how bad your offense is, you can win a Lombardi Trophy. Also, I do not think our offense is that bad. I think middle of the pack or lower 1/3rd, and certainly needs to improve.

as much as i think he'll greatly help the rest of our d-line, i think our defensive backfield will be helped out the most

I agree with this for sure. And apparently it was a big factor in getting DeAngelo to stay here. Let's just hope Carlos washes the butter off his hands before he gets on the field :fingersx:

Well, I wonder if sack totals can be a little misleading.

It's much, much easier to get sacks when you're playing with a lead. And the Titans were playing with a big lead in a lot of games this past season.

Same is true with interceptions. Most interceptions come when you have a big lead and the other team is getting desperate.

With our offense, it's not likely that our defense will be playing with a lead much. Which means you can't just tee up and go after the QB on all downs. Therefore, you end up with fewer sacks.

I wonder if having an explosive point-happy offense produces more sacks for your defense than having some particular DLinemen.

Well, I wonder if sack totals can be a little misleading.

It's much, much easier to get sacks when you're playing with a lead. And the Titans were playing with a big lead in a lot of games this past season.

Same is true with interceptions. Most interceptions come when you have a big lead and the other team is getting desperate.

With our offense, it's not likely that our defense will be playing with a lead much. Which means you can't just tee up and go after the QB on all downs. Therefore, you end up with fewer sacks.

I wonder if having an explosive point-happy offense produces more sacks for your defense than having some particular DLinemen.

Actually they weren't really a point-happy offense. The Titans' total offense is was ranked below ours last year, we were #19 in the league, they were #21:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

They were #14 in total points and points/game, which is almost exactly middle of the pack:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

Their rushing offense was #7, ours was #8:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Their passing offense was #27 in the league, ours was #24:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

We all know Albert Haynesworth has a ton of sacks for a defensive tackle. Well, I was wondering how well he helped out his fellow defensive linemen's sack totals in Tennessee.

Here are the stats for 2008:

DTs:

Albert Haynesworth himself: 8.5 Sacks

Jason Jones: 5.0 Sacks

Tony Brown: 4.0 Sacks

Kevin Vickerson: 1.5 Sacks

DEs:

Jacob Ford: 7.0 Sacks

Dave Ball: 4.5 Sacks

Kyle Vanden Bosch: 4.5 Sacks

Javon Kearse: 3.5 Sacks

William Hayes: 1.0 Sack

The Titans as a team finished 5th in the NFL with 44 sacks total:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=SACKS&season=2008&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

Looks to me like Al's biggest gift is freeing up his teammates to pressure the QB and (hopefully) force errors and get sacks.

There was no one on his team like DeMarcus Ware who carries 20 sacks a year, it seems that the sacks are more spread out to different players but plentiful nonetheless.

I'm very excited about how he could free up Andre Carter and Jason Taylor to go one-on-one with tackles all season. Not to mention how he can open gaps for blitzes.

Thoughts?

Man this was a good thread. Good research and analysis.

Can't wait to see how it goes down. LB's probably will get good pressure and sacks also.

Man this was a good thread. Good research and analysis.

Can't wait to see how it goes down. LB's probably will get good pressure and sacks also.

Could you imagine if somehow Raji or Orapko fell to us?

If I was a gm I would be severely hard pressed to pass them up if the big 4 are already off the board.

But a Raji Haynesworth tackle combo....:notworthy:applause::notworthy:applause:

I know its wishful thinking.. but what else is there to do in the offseason?

Look at the names of those people on the Titans....THEY ARE NOBODIES!!!!!

Compare those names to the people we have!!!

Landry...Horton....Smoot...Hall....Rogers....Fletcher....Carter...Taylor....Griffin....Green....Moore....Tryon

Our Defense will dominate.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the mindset that has caused the Redskins to be all show and no substance.

You really think so??.....I bet you they will barley reach half of that in sacks and interceptions without Fat Albert this year.

You really think so??.....I bet you they will barley reach half of that in sacks and interceptions without Fat Albert this year.

My point is you think the worth of a team is based on names. And that obviously is not the case.

Archived