Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Drafttek.com:Redskins Draft Needs (After the Spending Spree) {M.E.T.}

3 Rings

Redskins Draft Needs (After the Spending Spree)

Filed under: Uncategorized — Tags: Cushing, Deangelo Hall, Derrick Dockery, Draft, Duke Robinson, Haynesworth, Laurinaitis, Maualuga, Needs, Orakpo, Redskins — Draft Tek Draft Blog @ 8:51 pm

02/28/09 - Senior Writer Scott Lilliston, Drafttek.com

Oops, they did it again! While no one will mistake Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, or his right-hand man Vinny Cerrato, for Britney Spears, Danny and Vinny hopped into the free agent pool like two fat kids trying to see who could make the biggest splash. With the signings of DT Albert Haynesworth, CB Deangelo Hall an OG Derrick Dockery on free agency’s opening day, it’s safe to say that they both win the cannonball contest and managed to get Aunt Sally’s plate of potato chips wet. (Hey! She should have been standing there!)

The Skins surprised me, actually, with being able to keep Deangelo Hall. I know he’s a local guy but, heck, the guy went all the way to Oakland to get paid, there’s no reason to think he wouldn’t have gone elsewhere for a few more green fun-tickets. Turns out the the Skins decided to overpay him for half a season’s body of work. They do see him as a player with a lot of potential at a position of need after jettisoning the oft-injured Shawn Springs so the need to sign him can be argued. They also used the potential signing of DT Albert Haynesworth to keep Hall in the fold.

The Hall deal could explode on the Skins, though, and the deal itself certainly didn’t make teams trying to sign, say Dominique Foxworth, happy as it upped the ante on what free agent corners are now expecting. The question is, can Washington’s new cast wreak as much havoc when the games begin as Vinny and Danny are in the free agent pool.

Earlier in the year, Drafttek.com received many e-mails from fans wondering how the highest positional team need could be set at linebacker. A study of how the Redskins have historically addressed certain positions, particularly the positions Cerrato has been successful in drafting, leads to the truth. You want to know the future? Sometimes you have to look to the past.

Historically, Cerrato has not really had much success drafting skill position players. He has been succesful at finding defensive backs, linebackers, tight ends and the occasional QB here and there in the draft. He believes in the “best player available” mantra and mostly because he doesn’t want to be caught reaching for a first round player that turns out to be a bust. Last year he knew he needed a wide receiver and, in fashion, he moved the Skins down and selected a few, three to be exact, pass catchers. His thought? Throw a handful of players at the position and one of them has to stick.

The Skins have historically done this in the trenches as well only they get the handful of players through free agency and mid to late-round draft picks. There’s no shock that the Redskins boast one of the oldest offensive lines in the league. Dockery will help them get younger and is an upgrade over Pete Kendall. Will they draft an offensive lineman with the #13 pick overall? Don’t count on it.

I know what you o-line proponents are thinking…”but what if Alabama Offensive Tackle Andre Smith falls to #13?” Harken back to Cerrato’s philosophy. Smith’s issues off the field may hurt him, but Cerrato will be looking at other players. (I’ll throw out a scenario later that might make the Smith pick happen.) Mind you I’m not telling you this will be the right move. The tape on Smith shows him to be an absolute mauler, but I foresee that the Skins will stay true to form and try to find another offensive lineman with their 3rd round pick. Perhaps a Duke Robinson or someone similar makes it to them there. The one thing that is clear in this draft is that it is chock full of offensive line prospects.

The Haynesworth signing ensures that the Skins won’t be going with a defensive tackle in the 2009 draft and I think they see the injury to Jason taylor from last year as a reason to give him a second try to see what he can do when he’s healthy. They really want to see what he can do next to Haynesworth.

So…where does that leave us boys and girls? You got it…the linebacking corp. Marcus Washington is gone and H.B. Blades is not the answer at the Will backer spot. London Fletcher is an animal but is aging and may only have a year or two left. Sam backer, Rocky McIntosh came off a serious knee injury in 2007 to play fairly well in 2008. He should remain there. There is talk of the Skins diving back into the free agent pool (this time Cerrato will do a “flying squirrel” to see if he can get Uncle Harolds tupee wet) and pick up LB Angelo Crowell from the Bills. This seems unlikely however as the Bills have trimmed their roster and have room to sign him if they want him.

Prediction time…where the rubber meets the road. I think Snyder and the V-man have 3 prospects in mind at the #13 spot. Word out of the Senior Bowl was that Cerrato was highly enamored with USC MLB, Rey Maualuga. At the scouting combine, he apparently was smitten with UT DE/OLB, Brian Orakpo and I think Cerrato would take the much maligned Andre Smith if he falls AND Maualuga and Orakpo are gone. If all three are gone, look for the braintrust in DC to try to trade back and land a guy like James Laurinaitis or Brian Cushing. Welcome to the offseason guys and gals…try not to get wet.

Also, on Crowell, there's a lot of bad blood between Crowell and the Bills organization because he felt he only needed 4-5 weeks to rehab his injury from early September, but the Bills ended his season by placing him on IR.

There were some articles referencing his agent saying that there's little to no chance he ends up back in Buffalo regardless of what money they offer.

I'm not all that enamored with Cushing or Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis seems stiff to me and not as fast on the field as claimed. Cushing IMO is the better of the two.

I really think Clint Sintim could play the SAM role for us well. I think he could definitely make some noise. We would have to get into the 2nd round for that to happen.

I like Beatty, Andy Kemp, Sintim and Trent Morgan.

odd he says that about malugua but yet the mock draft on the drafttek has smith going to the skins at 13

Not odd at all. In the same paragraph he says this:

and I think Cerrato would take the much maligned Andre Smith if he falls AND Maualuga and Orakpo are gone.

I'm not all that enamored with Cushing or Laurinaitis. Laurinaitis seems stiff to me and not as fast on the field as claimed. Cushing IMO is the better of the two.

I really think Clint Sintim could play the SAM role for us well. I think he could definitely make some noise. We would have to get into the 2nd round for that to happen.

I like Beatty, Andy Kemp, Sintim and Trent Morgan.

I'd really like to see the 'skins trade down and take Sintim. He'd be a great SAM backer. This guy can rush and play in coverage. Plus he's a local guy from Woodbridge.

The offensive line is not finished, remember. We still have to do something about RT and Sameuls is still getting older. Our first pick most address the issue then we can focus on linebacker and center. If we can get away with trading down and still picking up a stud tackle that can play RT until he's ready to switch positions with Chris Sameuls, do it, then address center and linebacker. All our work this offseason won't mean anything if Campbell is still having to throw on his back. That's just retarded.

The offensive line is not finished, remember. We still have to do something about RT and Sameuls is still getting older. Our first pick most address the issue then we can focus on linebacker and center. If we can get away with trading down and still picking up a stud tackle that can play RT until he's ready to switch positions with Chris Sameuls, do it, then address center and linebacker. All our work this offseason won't mean anything if Campbell is still having to throw on his back. That's just retarded.

Right Defensive end is the Most pressing need. If Orapko is gone. Then we should take a look a Raji. Adding another Defensive Tackle or End that is Good will make our D-line Dominant. Our D-ends are Horrendous. Especially Andre Carter. We could adress Right tackle in round 3 or 4. Adding another Dig D-tackle in the middle with haynesworth will Make our defense Dominant.

I think adding Maualuga at #13 would be HUGE! He is a natural born leader and he plays with great speed, instinct and awareness. He plays with such a mean streak our defense can feed off of it. When Fletcher retires he will be the perfect replacement for him. Blades is good depth but thats his role not starting.

Right Defensive end is the Most pressing need. If Orapko is gone. Then we should take a look a Raji. Adding another Defensive Tackle or End that is Good will make our D-line Dominant. Our D-ends are Horrendous. Especially Andre Carter. We could adress Right tackle in round 3 or 4. Adding another Dig D-tackle in the middle with haynesworth will Make our defense Dominant.

Haynesworth is going to take away the double teams that used to be used on Carter or Taylor. Granted, Carter isn't a strength, but he definetly isn't a weakness compared to our other pressing needs (RT, SLB, C). Niether Jansen or Heyer has proven they can hold down the position, especially pass protection. Rabach was also getting pushed back constantly so running up the middle was often fruit less, making in my eye, center a more pressing issue then any position on the defensive line.

RDE can't be the most pressing need even on defense with the way McIntosh fell off towards the end of the year and Marcus Washington gone (God help us if we're stuck with HB Blades as our strong side linebacker). Having a dominant defense won't matter if we start losing 10-9, 12-7, 6-3 type football games, and we won't stop anyone if teams start doing quick outs against our powerless linebacking core.

Haynesworth is going to take away the double teams that used to be used on Carter or Taylor. Granted, Carter isn't a strength, but he definetly isn't a weakness compared to our other pressing needs (RT, SLB, C). Niether Jansen or Heyer has proven they can hold down the position, especially pass protection. Rabach was also getting pushed back constantly so running up the middle was often fruit less, making in my eye, center a more pressing issue then any position on the defensive line.

RDE can't be the most pressing need even on defense with the way McIntosh fell off towards the end of the year and Marcus Washington gone (God help us if we're stuck with HB Blades as our strong side linebacker). Having a dominant defense won't matter if we start losing 10-9, 12-7, 6-3 type football games, and we won't stop anyone if teams start doing quick outs against our powerless linebacking core.

We dont need a right tackle bad. But RAJI and Haynesworth in the middle or Haynes Worth and Orapko on one side will assure us to destroy opponents offenses this year. I also believe we can find a RT later on in the draft.

I personally believe that DE is the most over rated position on the football field. DT's have a far great impact than defensive ends. You can't run an offense if you can't establish a pocket, and unlike DE's, you can't solve the problem by running at it. Thus if we drafted DLine I'd rather we get yet another DT and have two monsters in the middle. I don't however think the skins will go that route. Maybe if Raji fell to 13 (which is impossible)... can you imagine him next to AH? Good lord.

I think the skins will go OLB or OT. Personally I think Vinnie "best available" way of thinking is garbage. In fact I think he's garbage... but whatever. I'd like the skins to take the "best available" player at OT or OLB. Anything else, trade down.

I don't however think the skins will go that route. I think the skins will go OLB or OT. Personally I think Vinnie "best available" way of thinking is garbage. In fact I think he's garbage... but whatever. I'd like the skins to take the "best available" player at OT or OLB. Anything else, trade down.

Vinny Always will be Garbage. Two monster in the middle will defenitly upgrade the defense to greatness proportion. The probably will go right tackle in the draft but. But I always prefer trading down to get more picks because we dont have many.

We dont need a right tackle bad. But RAJI and Haynesworth in the middle or Haynes Worth and Orapko on one side will assure us to destroy opponents offenses this year. I also believe we can find a RT later on in the draft.

You say RT isn't that big an issue when our o-line falling apart towards the end of the season was the single biggest reason we started 6-2 and ended 2-6. If you honestly believe what you believe, more power to ya.

Don't forget everyone's a year older now...

I don't really see how the Skins f this one up, to be truthful. At 13, take the best OL, DL, or DE/LB that's available; I don't think anyone would complain. I think that they'll be enticed to trade down to get more picks, but I don't think they should do that this year as any one of the positions is an urgent need.

If a WR, TE, QB, RB, CB, S, K, P or the like is drafted, there will be mutiny.

C/G Alex Mack at 25 (via trade down), RT and LB in 3rd round. Yeah, I'm a macker. Both Rabach and Thomas are seniors, and Thomas has had some pretty bad injuries in the past. Mack can challenge either and back both up. He'll start at C by 2010 if not at some point in '09. Remember, the Skins love to run inside. Gibbs I did too, and while Bostic wasn't big at all (265#), he always had 2 dominant Gs next to him (uhh, lessee, May and Grimm) and he was technically very good.

Archived