Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Better to Overpay for Lineman Than Skill Positions

Reaganaut

Let's be realistic. This team overpays players most of the time. We are lousy at drafting lineman in the later rounds like New York, so Free Agency is the only way we can get better on the lines. We have to pick up the Kendalls, Thomas', Griffins, Taylors, Smiths etc. We hit it on Samuels and Jansen, but that's the exception more than the rule, plus Samuels was a #2 pick.

I would argue that it's OK for the Skins to overpay to get a great lineman such as the great AH from the Titans. It's better to tie up that money in the trenches where it will get used ALL THE TIME, rather than on a receiver like Terrell Owens who MIGHT get a pass thrown his way, or Adam Archuletta who might change his entire DNA to defend the pass on an outside chance.

If we overpay for a great player in the trenches, then it's not as bad as overpaying for a receiver, running back, or cornerback. It's not as good as drafting well on the lines, but if you have zero skill at drafting linemen then it's the safest strategy. Put money in defense. At least you have Baltimore every year so in the weird case that you get a Flacco who can really play, you have a potential Superbowl team based on defense.

I don't care if we overpay for lineman. Bring 'em in.

I wish people would look at Haynesworth's stats. His first couple of seasons stats look a lot like Anthony Montgomery's stats from the past two years.

He started out slow and developed into a better player. He had a lot of slow years though, I just don't think he's worth the risk.

Let's be realistic. This team overpays players most of the time. We are lousy at drafting lineman in the later rounds like New York, so Free Agency is the only way we can get better on the lines. We have to pick up the Kendalls, Thomas', Griffins, Taylors, Smiths etc. We hit it on Samuels and Jansen, but that's the exception more than the rule, plus Samuels was a #2 pick.

I would argue that it's OK for the Skins to overpay to get a great lineman such as the great AH from the Titans. It's better to tie up that money in the trenches where it will get used ALL THE TIME, rather than on a receiver like Terrell Owens who MIGHT get a pass thrown his way, or Adam Archuletta who might change his entire DNA to defend the pass on an outside chance.

If we overpay for a great player in the trenches, then it's not as bad as overpaying for a receiver, running back, or cornerback. It's not as good as drafting well on the lines, but if you have zero skill at drafting linemen then it's the safest strategy. Put money in defense. At least you have Baltimore every year so in the weird case that you get a Flacco who can really play, you have a potential Superbowl team based on defense.

Overpaying for a line position sucks as much as for a ball-carrier position. Saying one is less bad than another, is like saying you prefer a **** sandwich to a piss martini.

Why not get a GM who can draft and sign well, without overpaying, instead? :whoknows:

I would not consider Thomas a bust... We also hit it with Dockery but the Bills put up too much money so we had to let him go....

Everyone that ****es about our line forgets about that. We lost one of our future studs on the OL because the Bills out Skinned the Skins. :)

If the numbers are correct and I think that they are we are paying a heavy price for Albert.

I wish people would look at Haynesworth's stats. His first couple of seasons stats look a lot like Anthony Montgomery's stats from the past two years.

He started out slow and developed into a better player. He had a lot of slow years though, I just don't think he's worth the risk.

We have gambled on players like this in the past and we have a poor record of success. Danny flat out does not learn from his mistakes

Overpaying for a line position sucks as much as for a ball-carrier position. Saying one is less bad than another, is like saying you prefer a **** sandwich to a piss martini.

Why not get a GM who can draft and sign well, without overpaying, instead? :whoknows:

You are all over Vinny for his one year in total control.... I am certainly not a Vinny fanboy by any means but a lot of times the quality in the draft and the way the draft rolls out determines what you can and can't do.... The reality is that right now there is not single player in the draft of FA that rates out to be as good as haynesworth is right now. Are we paying too much? Maybe but there is nothing like him in the draft especially at the #13 pick....

You are a broken record.... same stuff different thread. You are a one trick pony and you need to get another act....

You are missing the fact that Gibbs sucked as a GM just as much as Vinny. IMHO Gibbs made more mistakes as a player personnel man than anyone else in the history of the organization......but you give him a pass.

You are missing the fact that Gibbs sucked as a GM just as much as Vinny. IMHO Gibbs made more mistakes as a player personnel man than anyone else in the history of the organization......but you give him a pass.

How did he get the team to the playoffs twice? After all, that's what matters, right? Wins? I'd rather have a team that makes personnel mistakes then wins vs. a team that makes all the right moves and can't make the playoffs.

Now I know squeaking into the playoffs is not the goal here, but Gibbs is the only one that got THAT far since this administration took over control. Personnel mistakes and all.

How did he get the team to the playoffs twice? After all, that's what matters, right? Wins? I'd rather have a team that makes personnel mistakes then wins vs. a team that makes all the right moves and can't make the playoffs.

Now I know squeaking into the playoffs is not the goal here, but Gibbs is the only one that got THAT far since this administration took over control. Personnel mistakes and all.

Right so if we want to jump all over someone shouldn't it be Zorn? We give Gibbs a pass on Arch Delux and other guys like Lloyd. Gibbs did a solid job as a coach. I believe his last year with us might have been his best ever!

With the death of Taylor most teams would have crumbled but Gibbs showed he is worth his weight in gold as A COACH. I guess my issues is that everyone now blames Vinny when there is enough blame to go around and for me the Gibbs the GM deserves much of the blame......

He is the one that stuck us with Campbell.

You are all over Vinny for his one year in total control.... I am certainly not a Vinny fanboy by any means but a lot of times the quality in the draft and the way the draft rolls out determines what you can and can't do.... The reality is that right now there is not single player in the draft of FA that rates out to be as good as haynesworth is right now. Are we paying too much? Maybe but there is nothing like him in the draft especially at the #13 pick....

You are a broken record.... same stuff different thread. You are a one trick pony and you need to get another act....

Cooley, Taylor, Washington, Moss, Portis, Sellers, and many others... two playoff appearances in four years, and let's not forget he got us our ONLY 3 superbowls his first time around.

Now what was Vinny's track record again? Got promoted in the 49ers organization until he started drafting gems like Druckenmiller. Took a Redskins team under Turner that had just lost a heartbreaker playoff game to the Bucs, and ran it into the ground, picked wonderful players like Trung Canidate for Spurrier, and negotiated tough deals like a couple draft picks for Lloyd, big money for AA, and let's not forget Taylor and now possibly Hayneworth.

Being GM isn't even Gibbs' strong suit, and he still kicks Vinny's ass. 'Course, so do Belichik/Pioli, Parcells, Polian, Reese, you know any good GM.

The one trick pony here is Vinny and his apologists like you. Vinny keeps doing the same thing over and over again, overpaying for overhyped players. We've seen this over and over again since Vinny's been here.

And now finally this was the year Vinny was "supposed" to have control and responsibility, and still excuses come from so called "fans" like you. How can you be a Redskins fan AND a Vinny fan anymore, after the past ten years?

There is only so much you can do in the draft, but not like you seem to be suggesting. Good players are always there. When our turn comes around, maybe instead of a DE or OT, a stud for us will be an LB or Center. We need a good GM to get them! Especially in the later rounds. Look at when the Giants drafted Boss, Bradshaw, Alford and others. Remember them playing in a Superbowl recently?

Other teams had no trouble taking linemen before and after our picks last go round. Yet the excuse for Vinny was "there aren't any good ones this draft". Time will tell on that one too.

IMHO Gibbs made more mistakes as a player personnel man than anyone else in the history of the organization
Just from the second time around, his guys went to the playoffs 2 out of 4 years, where we've seen from the Cards and Giants if you get hot you can win. And Gibbs' guys carried the team this year. And you say he's the worst! LOL! I'd hate to see who you consider BEST! :silly:

Except that a DT like Albert Haynesworth only plays about 60% of the defensive snaps.

Archived