Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How They Draft (Redskins)

Walking Deadman

There has been an general consensus by many Redskin fans that the Redskins need to keep their focus on the draft and pay much less attention to free agents (or at least the high priced variety of free agent). So obviously this begs the question: How good are the Redskins at actually drafting NFL players? and Is it really worth it to the Redskins to keep draft picks (or trade them for other players)?

So being that I'm bored with the combine I decided to look at the Snyder tenure of drafts from 1999 to 2008* and determine how well the Redskins draft NFL players.

* Note: 2001 was a Marty Schottenheimer led draft but it will also be counted in the mix.

Rules:

Each round will be broken down into three categories: Boom, Bust and Incomplete.

Boom- Player meets criteria in said round to be considered a successful draft pick.

Bust- Player fails to meet criteria in said round to be considered a successful draft pick.

Incomplete- Not enough data or years in league to determine if a Boom or Bust player.

Criteria to be successful in said round obviously varies (ie. you don't have the same expectations for a round 1 draftee vs. a round 7 draftee) and will be mentioned in each post before the breakdown.

Draft information found on http://www.pro-football-reference.com/

Read the Rest of the articles here:

Round 1: http://walkingdeadmanblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-they-draft-round-1.html

Rounds 2&3: http://walkingdeadmanblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-they-draft-rounds-2-and-3.html

Rounds 4&5: http://walkingdeadmanblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-they-draft-rounds-4-and-5.html

Rounds 6&7: http://walkingdeadmanblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-they-draft-rounds-6-and-7.html

Early conclusion: we draft better than you'd think and we don't draft enough (no **** Captain Obvious)

my concern is we keep drafting the "sexy picks" and not addressing the issue that football is won and lost in the trenches...

So maybe the concern isnt about the lack of talent scouting, maybe it is the positions we keep on drafting...

One O-lineman in the 1st and 2nd rounds in the last 10 years....that is a major problem...having good O-lines and D-lines makes guys around you better...

Ouch, that 3rd round 50% bust rate is a little alarming. Some of those picks, if panned out, could have really helped this team (yeah, I know, Captain Obvious moment on my part). But like you stated, it's not that the Redskins are bad at drafting, they're just bad at keeping draft picks, which is sad when looking at how relatively good this team actually is at drafting.

• 4 weeks later...

What may be a sign of good drafting (or bad depth) is that although we normally have few draft picks, we have been pretty decent at finding late round players.

2008:

Chris Horton (7th)

2007:

H.B. Blades (6th)

2006:

Montgomery (5th)

Doughty (6th)

Golston (6th)

That in itself makes me feel that our problem isn't as much evaluation of talent as it is just not having enough picks, or sometimes reaching for a player. Hopefully this year if we have a 7th as a compensatory pick, we'll be able to find another late round gem.

I would love to draft a ton of starters every year as well... it's a cheaper way to run a franchise -- not like $$ is our problem though.

Remember that even during the Gibbs I era, Bobby B. was notorious for trading our picks away for veteran players. The logic goes something like, why gamble on an unproven talent when you pick somebody up that has already excelled in the NFL? Of course that only works out if you pick up players that still have gas/desire in their tank.

I would love to draft a ton of starters every year as well... it's a cheaper way to run a franchise -- not like $$ is our problem though.

Remember that even during the Gibbs I era, Bobby B. was notorious for trading our picks away for veteran players. The logic goes something like, why gamble on an unproven talent when you pick somebody up that has already excelled in the NFL? Of course that only works out if you pick up players that still have gas/desire in their tank.

When Gibbs 2.0 first started and he was preaching that I was buying into it, but I'm seeing free agency as just as much of a risk if not more because of the money involved.

We don't do a bad job of drafting players when we have picks, especially lately. We've had some solid players come from late round picks. We just don't have enough picks every year to be really effective. Hopefully we stop trading picks for awhile and build the lines through the draft. I think offensive and defensive lines are usually pretty deep in drafts and you can find some gems in late rounds. Look at the Giants o-line for example. Made up of later rounds picks. We don't need a team full of 1st rounders to win.

my concern is we keep drafting the "sexy picks" and not addressing the issue that football is won and lost in the trenches...

So maybe the concern isnt about the lack of talent scouting, maybe it is the positions we keep on drafting...

One O-lineman in the 1st and 2nd rounds in the last 10 years....that is a major problem...having good O-lines and D-lines makes guys around you better...

Exactly. They have to get away from the "sexy pick" mindset. If they had focused on the need positions, who knows much better a team they could have be now.

I have noticed that every year the EAGLES use 70% of their draft picks on LINEMEN. They draft tons of linemen.....protect the QB, and stop the run and you have a decent chance at winning plenty of games.

And their offensive line is still one of the oldest in the NFL and a major concern for them...must not have a great scouting department on that side of the ball.

I wonderer about the Eagles scouting full stop .

I know 2002 was an amazing draft but since then they have had a little luck (Trent Cole) and not much else . Bunkley and Patterson are disapointing ... Shaun Andrews can be a great guard but should you be picking OG in the first half of the first round in the draft ? Right now they have Wisnton Justice a second round pick listed on the top of their depth chart at LT ... does everyone rememeber what happened last time he was on the field . The LB core is OK but I wonder about the secondary with no Dawkins .

2008:

Chris Horton (7th)

2007:

H.B. Blades (6th)

2006:

Montgomery (5th)

Doughty (6th)

Golston (6th)

People always name drop these guys like they are steals. I might agree one is a steal, Horton.

Which of these guys made the pro bowl, led us to playoffs, individually won games for us? Did they lead in sacks? No they made a football team that can't get into the playoffs. WOW.

Montgomery, Doughty, and Golston are definitely overrated for the people who swoon over them. And if you want to talk Doughty and special teams, well GOOD franchise get their special teamers in the late round. We give our franchise a cookie because they found one.

People always name drop these guys like they are steals. I might agree one is a steal, Horton.

Which of these guys made the pro bowl, led us to playoffs, individually won games for us? Did they lead in sacks? No they made a football team that can't get into the playoffs. WOW.

Montgomery, Doughty, and Golston are definitely overrated for the people who swoon over them. And if you want to talk Doughty and special teams, well GOOD franchise get their special teamers in the late round. We give our franchise a cookie because they found one.

They add to our depth. And thats a big thing in this league. Being able to have some guys on the roster who can step in and play well in suprs is a really good thing. Doughty did really well en light of Sean Taylor's death. He didn't live up to expectations last year, but he was a good pick.

Most late round picks don't even make the roster, I think questioning how many pro bowls they make is severly limiting what you call a good player.

They add to our depth. And thats a big thing in this league. Being able to have some guys on the roster who can step in and play well in suprs is a really good thing. Doughty did really well en light of Sean Taylor's death. He didn't live up to expectations last year, but he was a good pick.

Most late round picks don't even make the roster, I think questioning how many pro bowls they make is severly limiting what you call a good player.

Well the draft is supposed to add depth. I think the most accurate part of your post is (bad depth). Since we refuse to keep our draft picks, and refuse to draft any lineman high, keeping a 6th round dlineman is easy to do.

It's sad in my opinion that we have to hang our hats on Montgomery and Golston. 2 average d lineman at best.

It's sad in my opinion that we have to hang our hats on Montgomery and Golston. 2 average d lineman at best.

But they're our backups.

I was praying that we'd be able to draft BJ Raji in the first this year. We added Haynesworth instead. Now our starters are Griffin and Haynesworth and Montyand Golston are the subs. And I think thats a pretty good rotation at DT right there.

But they're our backups.

I was praying that we'd be able to draft BJ Raji in the first this year. We added Haynesworth instead. Now our starters are Griffin and Haynesworth and Montyand Golston are the subs. And I think thats a pretty good rotation at DT right there.

I agree with that, that is definitely a nice looking lineup with them as backups. Now hopefully get a nice young defensive end to compliment the line.

Jim Molinaro a BOOM???? Are you kidding with this?? And Anthony Montgomery was missing from the 5th round analysis.

Montgomery is there jrock.

As for Molinaro, he fit the criteria I put up for a 6th rounder:

"Criteria: This is harder to judge but my criteria as follows, player needs to make the team/active roster and play a minimum of two seasons. Does not have to be a starter and is expected to be depth/STer. Does not have to be on active gameday roster on a regular basis."

Now was Molinaro any good? Not really. But he fits the criteria.....of course the fanbase expected him and Mark Wilson to be the next superstar O-linemen so maybe our views are skewed.........

Now was Molinaro any good? Not really. But he fits the criteria.....of course the fanbase expected him and Mark Wilson to be the next superstar O-linemen so maybe our views are skewed.........

We could see history repeat itself when we only have 5th & 6th rounders left in 2009 to get our upgrade at RT.

I suppose we may spoil ourselves & use the 3rd instead

A great QB w/ quick read/release and dont turn the ball over makes a good OL look GREAT. B.Sanders made a crappy line look GREAT if you tag his #'s to them. I agree you need quality OL/DL but its not necessarily won in the trenches.

Archived