Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Chargers Tag Sporles

Rocky52Mc

CHARGERS TAG SPROLES

Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2009, 5:25 p.m.

The San Diego Chargers have applied the franchise tag to running back Darren Sproles, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Though Schefter characterizes the move as the biggest surprise of the month, we respectfully disagree. There’s no way that quietly embattled G.M. A.J. Smith could have afforded allowing Sproles to become the next budding offensive star to walk away without immediate compensation.

Three years ago, it was Drew Brees, the 2008 AP offensive player of the year. Last year, it was Michael Turner, an MVP finalist in his first season with the Falcons. Though the Chargers might end up trading Sproles to a new team, they’ll at least get something of value in return.

Or maybe they’ll keep him around. He’s likely not sufficiently durable to be an every-down back. If they pair him with LaDainian Tomlinson, perhaps the one-two punch can fuel the offense without leaving either player worn down for the postseason.

well, fans wanted him, oh well!

EDIT: My bad on the name mispell.

That's a lot of money on a backup (but the Pats tagged Cassel, so it's not the first time that's happened this offseason), but my guess is this is for a trade. I don't see Sproles signing to be LT's backup for another few years if he thinks he can be a starter, but the Chargers know somebody will give them something for him.

Seriously I am really shocked about this news. No way he's top 5 in the league. I think San Deigo just wanted to not get burned again

Tags are rarely used on someone who is actually in the top 5 at their position. When you've got a guy that good, you lock him up before it ever comes to using a tag on him (usually).

They can drop the tag

Some teams use this as leverage to get a longer term deal

They can't if the player does sign the tender. Charles Woodson when he s a Raider was franchised tagged so they could have more time to sign the player to a longer deal. As soon as the agent realized that Woodson could make over 10 million that year, which was a 20% raise, they signed off on it. Al Davis was pissed cause he didn't think he would sign it.

CHARGERS TAG SPROLES

Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2009, 5:25 p.m.

The San Diego Chargers have applied the franchise tag to running back Darren Sproles, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network.

Though Schefter characterizes the move as the biggest surprise of the month, we respectfully disagree. There’s no way that quietly embattled G.M. A.J. Smith could have afforded allowing Sproles to become the next budding offensive star to walk away without immediate compensation.

Three years ago, it was Drew Brees, the 2008 AP offensive player of the year. Last year, it was Michael Turner, an MVP finalist in his first season with the Falcons. Though the Chargers might end up trading Sproles to a new team, they’ll at least get something of value in return.

Or maybe they’ll keep him around. He’s likely not sufficiently durable to be an every-down back. If they pair him with LaDainian Tomlinson, perhaps the one-two punch can fuel the offense without leaving either player worn down for the postseason.

well, fans wanted him, oh well!

EDIT: My bad on the name mispell.

I wondered when people would begin to question the "AJ Smith is a genius" talk. The guy is a knucklehead with contract negotiations, couldn't work with Marty Schottenheimer and let Michael Turner and Drew Brees leave for no compensation. He got a third for Brees in compensatory picks (highest possible) and may get that for turner but he surely could of tagged and traded them for much more (or even third rounders for the current year). He let Donnie Edwards walk and watched his inside linebackers play like trash ever since. Imo tagging Sproles was an absolute must for him.

Archived