Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving from FL to MN: Need help

Zhouse

My job requires me to move every so often. I moved from Charlotte to Tampa about 8 months ago and that was relatively simple. I just rented a Budget truck, towed my car in the back and drove it down.

Now I'm moving to Minneapolis and driving is out of question. My company is pretty good with the relocation package (they will pay for my car shipment and my flight) but I have to figure things out on my own. I'm already in the process of selling all my furniture and appliances. So all I'm taking is my luggage and minor stuff I don't want to sell.

First thing is getting my car over there. I'm looking for something reasonably priced and won't take more than 1 week. Can I put some of my stuff in the car (I got mixed answers on this from different people)?

My next question is, does anyone have experience traveling with a dog? I have a six months old dog and he's coming with me to MN.

Couple ideas:

1. Why is driving out of the question? Distance or time? Obviously driving with your dog would be much easier than flying esp. if the puppy is only 6 months old.

2. Check into seeing if you can pack a palette full of your stuff and see how much a shipping company would charge to deliver it to MN.

Couple ideas:

1. Why is driving out of the question? Distance or time? Obviously driving with your dog would be much easier than flying esp. if the puppy is only 6 months old.

2. Check into seeing if you can pack a palette full of your stuff and see how much a shipping company would charge to deliver it to MN.

Yah I would just drive and bite the bullet on a night or two in a hotel somewhere.

Well I guess I hated the idea of driving for a couple days by myself. Plus my car is pretty old, not sure how much it could take but should be fine as long as I make enough stops. It would definitely make it easier to take a dog that way but....I will consider it I guess.

I really don't have much to ship...it really would be pointless. It's just cheaper to pay for the extra checked bags on the airline...just wanted to make it easier the day of the flight since I would have to take a crate for the dog.

Wow, that job seems killer to have you moving across the country once a year. I could never handle that. What type of work is it?

It's a rotational program. I really don't mind it, this might be my last move....unless I don't take a full time position at the MN site.

Id check UPS to see if you can ship your extra bags up there (it might not be more than the extra bag fee) and would make it easier especially if you are flying with the dog.

I am not 100% sure of this but i remember some of my friends getting something for their vet which calmed the dog when they flew (basically doggie nyquil or something).

Something you might want to ask the vet about to make the dog's trip a little easier.

Maybe a couple really warm blankets and some chew toys in there.

Id check UPS to see if you can ship your extra bags up there (it might not be more than the extra bag fee) and would make it easier especially if you are flying with the dog.

I am not 100% sure of this but i remember some of my friends getting something for their vet which calmed the dog when they flew (basically doggie nyquil or something).

Something you might want to ask the vet about to make the dog's trip a little easier.

Maybe a couple really warm blankets and some chew toys in there.

I like the UPS idea. I will check on that.

I read airline policies defer on sedating pets during travel but nyquil or something similar should be okay I'm guessing. I will ask the vet.

Thanks for the help.

I hope that the place you're moving to has a heated garage for your car, because I know that yours doesn't have a electric block warmer

Haha...yep made sure of that.

The good thing is, I'm moving towards the end of the winter. Or at least it's halfway through since it's a longer season up there.

Archived