Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trip to the dentist.....

DTN Redskin

So I go to the dentist for a cleaning for the first time in a few years. I am 29 and quit tobacco a couple yrs ago and felt it was time for a cleaning. I take good care of my teeth and the dentist scraped off some plaque/tartar as is typical procedure. The dentist then said that I need DEEP ROOT CLEANING which runs about 700 bucks for two trips. He says my gums need it. A couple questions to the wiser/more experienced:

1) Is this really necessary at age 29 and a person who has pretty good oral hygiene?

2) What happens if I don't get it done and should I seek a 2nd opinion?

Just feel it maybe bs but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I hate dentisis and haven't been since I was a kid...

Every trip was the same thing. Everything is going ok until he pulls out that litle stabby thing and then starts puncturing my gums. Then he chastises me saying "You need to floss more. Your gums are bleeding an awful lot."

"THEY WEREN'T BLEEDING UNTIL YOU STABBED THEM JUST NOW!!!"

That and how he always used to put me under anasthesia and I'd wake up laying face down in the dentist's chair with my pants unbuttoned.

Every trip was the same thing. Everything is going ok until he pulls out that litle stabby thing and then starts puncturing my gums. Then he chastises me saying "You need to floss more. Your gums are bleeding an awful lot."

That and how he always used to put me under anasthesia and I'd wake up laying face down in the dentist's chair with my pants unbuttoned.

Yeah I know lol these are my thoughts exactly. I just can't believe this procedure is necessary at this age. I could understand if I was in my late 40s or something but 20s come on. I've also heard that gum disease leads to strokes, high blood pressure, etc is all bs. Who knows? But dishing out this many bones to have minor gum surgery would make anyone think......

Yeah I know lol these are my thoughts exactly. I just can't believe this procedure is necessary at this age. I could understand if I was in my late 40s or something but 20s come on. I've also heard that gum disease leads to strokes, high blood pressure, etc is all bs. Who knows? But dishing out this many bones to have minor gum surgery would make anyone think......

Dude, you should always go every 6 months. And I don't think the guy would tell you you need that procedure if you don't. I hate the dentist as much as the next guy. But its part of life, man. Btw, if you smoked or dipped for a long time im pretty sure you are in dire need of tooth whitening, or some form of it.:2cents:

LMAO I know right! My dentist is cool as sheeeet though, he is a huge Skins fan as well and has season tickets 2 sections to my left in 114! He is maybe 45 now and took over the practice when his father (who i had been going to since i was 5) died about 10 years ago. It was a family business. He never BS's me, knows my whole immediate family, so they aren't ALL bad, you just have bad luck :D

P.S.

http://www.phassfamilydentistry.com/ ;)

So I go to the dentist for a cleaning for the first time in a few years. I am 29 and quit tobacco a couple yrs ago and felt it was time for a cleaning. I take good care of my teeth and the dentist scraped off some plaque/tartar as is typical procedure. The dentist then said that I need DEEP ROOT CLEANING which runs about 700 bucks for two trips. He says my gums need it. A couple questions to the wiser/more experienced:

1) Is this really necessary at age 29 and a person who has pretty good oral hygiene?

2) What happens if I don't get it done and should I seek a 2nd opinion?

Just feel it maybe bs but any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Like another poster said you should be going to the dentist every 6 months, for cleaning (or at least once a year) especially if you used to use tobacco products. You may think that your gums and teeth are in good shape, but in fact they may not be. I would seek a 2nd opinion and see if it's worth it. Maybe this procedure could prevent something more serious from happening and you spending even more money.

Also just to get a little venting in. How could you use dip? Personally I find any sort of tobacco product disgusting, especially dip. But I guess that's your choice... :whoknows:

<<<<<<<<<<

Also if you're 29 why does it say 24 in your profile box?

And I don't think the guy would tell you you need that procedure if you don't.

I'm not saying anything one way or another whether dude needs the procedure. But with that being said.... ARE YOU CRAZY?

Do you honestly believe that medical practitioners don't recommend unnecessary procedures?!?!?

Do you have any idea how many SURGERIES are performed every day in North America that are completely unnecessary? And you somehow think medical professionals with less invasive procedures/treatments are somehow above that?

Try chiropractic.... and their treatment plans of 3x/week for 4 weeks... then 2x/week for 4 weeks, and on and on and on until you are on a "maintenance plan" for the rest of your life. It's a running joke to other healthcare professionals. Have fun paying their student loans and new toys.

Don't be so naive. There are actually very few healthcare professionals that practice ethically. That's what's scary.

If it's been awhile I would suck it up and get it done. Then go every 6 months after to keep on top of everything. I didn't go to the dentist for about 3 years once and paid for it with deep cleanings and gum surgery in some spots.

If you don't like your dentist, then get a second opinion so you feel better about the decision.

Definitely get it checked out - you don't want dentures at your age :)

Try getting a Sonicare toothbrush. I love mine and it does a great job of keeping my gums healthy.

You also might want to look into Coenzyme Q10 - 400mgs (softgels only) or more a day for a week to ten days can do wonders for your gums.

Also, oxygenated rinses and toothpastes might be a good idea, as well as, trying a stabilized liquid oxygen supplement - putting a drop or two on top of your toothpaste before brushing.

I'm not saying anything one way or another whether dude needs the procedure. But with that being said.... ARE YOU CRAZY?

Do you honestly believe that medical practitioners don't recommend unnecessary procedures?!?!?

Do you have any idea how many SURGERIES are performed every day in North America that are completely unnecessary? And you somehow think medical professionals with less invasive procedures/treatments are somehow above that?

Try chiropractic.... and their treatment plans of 3x/week for 4 weeks... then 2x/week for 4 weeks, and on and on and on until you are on a "maintenance plan" for the rest of your life. It's a running joke to other healthcare professionals. Have fun paying their student loans and new toys.

Don't be so naive. There are actually very few healthcare professionals that practice ethically. That's what's scary.

Calm down, man. I was saying that because the guy said he hadn't been to the dentist in forever. If you haven't been in a very long time, it is definitely in the realm of possibility that you would need a deep cleaning, among other things. Not only that, but he also said he dipped and/or smoked. Needless to say, those two things are very bad on your teeth and gums.

Archived