Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you feel safe flying?

RySkins

I have a relative that's a little aprehensive about an upcoming flight. Anyone here afraid to fly in the aftermath of 9/11, or have your concerns lessened?

Any good airport horror stories or ridiculous waits in the terminal?

I've flown 6-8 times since 9-11. Honestly, the lines started off horrendous.

They have done some things in recent months to help though. My favorite is the self checkin to which most airlines have gone. You no longer have those huge lines to check your bags and confirm your seat. In total, it takes about the same amount of time that it took pre 9-11, but now the time is spent in security lines. That's an improvement in my eyes because at that point I'm no longer lugging around my luggage.

There's some wierd confiscation. I'm guessing it was security who took my razor from my checked bag. I can't think of who else would, but I can't think why they would either.

I still think a determined terrorist wouldn't have much trouble. It's too easy to get by the detectors by coming up with a legit reason for them to go off. All in all, I think the same thing I thought before; the odds are in my favor. It's still safer than driving.

Yeah it is safer than driving. I have flown in and out of Dulles and BWI airports like 6 times since 9/11. It does feel much safer. The security lines are still rediculous but I just pull out my magazine of choice, read, and slowly inch forward.

Just returned a few weeks ago from a trip out of the country. On the whole I was pleased with how well things worked. Lines were annoying, especially on the return, but nothing worse than I expected. Quite a bit of conflicting information about what you can and can't take as carry-on or checked baggage. My advice would be to carry on only what you need and when at all in doubt of an item check it, although others have said even checked baggage might be missing a few things. But the red tape was much less than I expected. We travelled with a South American teenager (dual national) clearly not our daughter, and other than her passport we weren't asked for any other docs like letter of authorization, etc.

As far as the fear factor, what are we gonna do, hide inside our own four walls? Every day you read about people dying in car accidents yet we still climb behind the wheel.

I had to fly for business the week of the 9-11 anniversary and tried to deliberately fly on the 11th as a show of support, but the company wouldn't allow nonessential travel on that date.

I hate flying. It scares me constantly. Takeoff to landing. But it's a reality. I have to fly a couple of times a month. I try to fly early in the morning to avoid lines, delays, and generally the staff (on the ground and in the air) are usually in a better mood.

My general rule is 5 hours. If where I need to go is a 5 hour drive or less, I drive.

Be very careful also of the size of the luggage that you bring to check in.

In the past, airlines didnt really penalize you if you bags were a few inches bigger than the guideline - as long as they were underweight.

Now - airlines have limited the weight (down from 70lbs to 50lbs, i believe) and are strongly enforcing size restrictions.

A lot of luggage that is sold in stores nowadays, falls into the realm of oversized.

I got dinged an extra 50 bucks last time I traveled (in Feb.) and had to switch luggage with my parents in Detroit (where they lived, until 2 months ago).

Good luck.

I guess I caught this thread a little to late to get in on the flying topic, but I'll add my two cents anyway. I have flown many times since 9/11 and haven't had any problems. As long as you know what to expect and limit your carry on and what you have in your pockets, you'll limit the chances to have something trigger the scanner. I've found the check in to be a breeze at Dulles and Reagan and the security process has been quite easy. I have normally made it to my gate at Dulles within 10-15 minutes of arriving at the airport. I feel much safer flying than driving on 95 or 395 and I don't have to worry about the traffic.

I absolutly LOVE to fly.

Have flown many times since 9/11......and the only thing I dislike is dealing with luggage. I always carry too much.

The last 3 trips I have made........I have been checked by the wand........take off my shoes......undo my belt and had to remove things from my purse. No big deal .........although I am sorely tempted to pack my undies in my purse!!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: ;)

Blondie

I hate to fly, hated if before 9-11, still hate it.

But I don't let it affect my life, I'll get on a plane if it means going on vacation, visiting friends and family, etc.

Statistically it's still the safest form of travel, even though my palms sweat the whole flight and every time there's a bump my heart jumps into my throat.

There's just something about soaring above the clouds that isn't right to me.

Archived