Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rogue Badger Attacks

Flowtrain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hereford/worcs/3023369.stm

Badger rampage injures five

_39211409_badger203.jpg

Badgers are usually wary of humans

A rogue badger attacked five people during a 48-hour rampage in a quiet suburb.

One man required two skin graft operations, after the badger woke him up and attacked him when he went outside to investigate.

Other victims included a man who was attacked as he walked home from a pub, in Evesham, Worcestershire.

Mike Weaver, from the Worcestershire Badger Society, said: "I have never heard of anything like this in 24 years of work with badgers throughout the UK."

'Horror movie'

The badger, which is thought to have been injured, has been put down.

Pam Fitzgerald, said the attack on her husband Michael, who is still in hospital after the skin grafts, was like a "bizarre horror movie".

Michael Fitzgerald needed two skin grafts

She said: "We had gone to bed and we heard a noise in the garage.

"My husband opened the door and the badger sat there and then, gradually, just slowly walked towards him and attacked him.

"It caught him on his arm and, in the process of trying to get the badger off himself, he's lost quite a lot of skin on his arm and some of the flesh."

Mrs Fitzgerald said the badger also bit her husband's leg, forcing the couple to flee inside their house.

"It was terrifying because we didn't expect a badger to attack because we know that badgers, when they smell a human, will disappear," she said.

Police take evasive action

Mrs Fitzgerald added that her husband will have a lasting reminder of the attack.

"He's still in hospital... they've had to do skin grafts on both of his wounds. He will be very badly scarred."

The Worcestershire Badger Society, finally rounded up the animal on Friday.

I been involved with badgers for 24 years now and I've never heard of anything like this

Mike Weaver

Worcestershire Badger Society

Mr Weaver said: "I was called out on Thursday night. A young man walking home, I presume from the pub, had been bitten by a badger."

The animal was nowhere to be seen, but early on Friday morning Mr Weaver received a call from police after it was seen chasing people.

"The police officer told me it had kept some of their officers at bay and indeed they had to jump on to the bonnet of a car to escape it."

Mr Weaver said it was extraordinary behaviour for an animal that is usually wary of people.

"Normal behaviour for a badger would be that as soon as it scented humans it would take off.

Tamed cub

"My belief is that this badger had been brought up from a cub with people. The evidence for that is the fact that it had no fear of humans at all."

Mr Weaver said there was no need for people to start fearing an onslaught of badger attacks.

He said: "I've been in touch with other people who've been involved with badgers and they've never heard of anything like it.

"I would consider this to be a one-off incident and the people of Evesham and Worcestershire, and indeed everywhere else in the country should not be worried that this may happen again."

Man I'm having a Marine Corps flashback....when I was at the Infantry Officer's Course at Quantico VA (intensive 6 month school) we were out individually completing our land navigation course. You're out with a map and compass and have to find 10 boxes spread out over about 10 miles of thick woods under timed conditions. About halfway through, I come to this nasty swamp and I have 2 choices. Shoot an azimuth to an 'aiming point' on the other side and either walk 2 miles around the swamp to get to it, or walk over a huge bunch of rotting logs and debris (an hour of walking vs 10 min - easy call right?). Halfway across (and feeling pretty smug about it) I jump onto a big 'mound' of sticks and my foot goes through it into the water up to my knee. To my freaking horror, something gets ahold of my combat boot and is tugging quite intensely on my leg. After nearly soiling myself, and finally getting my leg free, I begin spastically jumping from pile to pile as I am being pursued by the biggest, most pissed off beaver I have seen in my life. I had parallel visions, first coming to mind was the rabbit scene from 'The Grail' (he's got huuuge nasty fangs and a mean streak a mile wild), then the bizarre 'Jimmy Carter Attacked by Rabbit while Fishing' story. That damn beaver chased me for at least 1000 yards. I was thankful he never caught up to me, least of my worries being known from that moment on as 'that dumb@ss who got attacked by the beaver', not a promising way to begin an illustrious military career!

BEWARE THE BADGER!

Tarhog - regardless of OM's attempt to drag us all down to his level of depravity :silly: I thought that was a remarkable story.

I see a fair amount of beaver while I'm out fishing (Oh, go ahead, OM - it's cheap and easy) and they ain't little critters. That must have been one h#ll of a scare.

Gee, TC, coming from the man whose proposed question for Rock Cartwright was about whether or not the fact that Dan Snyder "towers over him" is intimidating, that shot about the cheap and easy angle really wounds me. :)

As to the outrage (mild though 'twere) over the unmitigated gall of my having taken it upon myself to nudge a quintessential, lighthearted, way off-topic, deep off-season, Tailgate badger thread in the direction of a quintessential, lighthearted, way off-topic, deep off-season Tailgate beaver thread ... well, I offer my profoundest apologies.

You'd think I'd have achieved a more somber perspective after lo these many years.

And as to Ms. Blondie ... hmm. It would seem we aren't in Kansas any more. ;)

Archived