Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advice on buying a car.

cracka

My current beater is just about done. Heat went out on me and I cant take the drive in the AM at this temp.

So.. I'd like to get another explorer, eddie baur edition if possible.

I dont want to a payment over $400.00 a month and would go 4-5year on financing. I'd prefer not to put anything down..

I've been thinking of heading up and buying through the auto auctions up in PA ( i think thats the location). I have a contact who is authorized to purchase and I'm thinking I might get the best bang for my $$.

Would it be worth it to visit some of the Ford Dealers in the area to see what they can do? I always feel like I'm getting ripped off by them. but, If i can get a new car with low financing and the payment can be under $400.00 It might be worth it.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone buy through the auctions?

I'm in the market for a small/mid-sized SUV as well, except I don't want to pay more than $8k total since it'll just be a second car. With the economy outlook, the longer you wait the better the deals are, but you probably don't want to wait so long given your current car situation.

And as you know the domestic car manufacturers are desperate and you can pretty much tell them what you want and they'll make it happen. I know the repo auctions are great deals but it's a risk since the car may not have been taken care of at all. At least with good dealerships you know the car was cleaned up and was inspected and repaired properly, so I certainly wouldn't overlook them.

At the auction, buy only "green light vehicles", pay for the post inspection with a 14 day guarantee. Also, get there early, like 3 hours early, walk the lot, start up and drive the ones you're interesting in a little bit. Since it's PA, check under the hood in the rear corners for any signs of rust, if it's rusting already in any of those areas, stay away. This is possibly the worst time to buy at auction, dealers always believe tax season is great for sales and will bid 15-25% higher than normal.

Thanks for the comments. I know my budget is no more than 18k if I'm getting financed at roughly 8%. That number goes up to approx 25k with 0% interest which would be the only reason I'd get something new. I guess my question is, how far can can I expect them to move off sticker price if I'm also getting the financing?

I'm pretty sure the heater will be about 1K to fix, i'm going to see someone today about it but if thats the case then bye bye car..

I'm thinking I'm going to check out the auctions at this point.. If I can get something decent for 15k that would be nice.

Archived