Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iTunes to Sell Songs Without Restrictions

TC4

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/06/AR2009010602936.html

iTunes to Sell Songs Without Restrictions

Four Record Companies Back Tiered Pricing Plan

By Mike Musgrove

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Apple kicked off its final Macworld trade show in San Francisco yesterday with announcements about new versions of the company's photo management software and an update to its productivity suite. But in true Apple tradition, it was the company's "one last thing" that had people talking: ITunes will now sell songs without any restrictions and at three prices: 69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29.

****Click on link at the top for full article****

What does "without restrictions" mean?

It is now DRM free. Basically, Apple had a thing called DRM on songs you would download from iTunes. It was linked to your iTunes store account and you could burn the songs to CDs and play in a CD player, but you could only put the songs on an iPod. Without DRM, I think Apple boosted the quality of the mp4, so it is now 256kbps (2x what it was) and you can put it on any media player. At least this is my understanding of the situation.

Everyone was always so pissed at Apple for having DRM because they said it forced you to have an iPod. Well, the record companies were the ones at fault, really. Apple had to use DRM to ensure that the songs would not be downloaded by one person and dispersed to ten others.

iTunes is a great thing because you can go buy the good songs off of a pop artists album and leave the crappy ones. But personally, I would much rather have the CD. Quality is better and its fun having liner notes and stuff.

Quick question......if my itunes library is on my home computer and I download songs on my work computer can I upload them onto my iphone without erasing my library?

You would be better off transferring the library on your work computer to an external HD and then dumping them on your home computer with your other music.

I am pretty sure if you try to sync your iPhone with two different computers, you will have issues. But I may be wrong.

Archived