Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone see the guy that jumped on/off the building in Vegas?

Bubble Screen

I did. I thought for certain he was going to kill himself.

I thought it was hilarious that in the half an hour leading up to it they kept showing us all these slow motion simulations of what will happen if the slightest thing goes wrong, of course all of which show him falling to his death in a gruesome broken heap.

Wonder what he'll do next year?

~Bang

Holy **** I woulda had a heart attack watching that live. That is crazy!!

I saw it live. I was very nervous for the guy. You should have seen the preview where they were talking about if he doesn't hit everything just right he was probably a deadman. For instance, they said if he leaned just slightly back, or forward, on the way up the bike could flip backwards, or leaning forward too much would, of course, cause him to crash into the side. Needless to say, on the way down you can pretty much realize that any mess up and he's doomed.

Is this the same guy who flipped while in a truck? I saw that one last night. He didn't exactly land it perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DpKtwwW6s

Nah, that was a different guy. His name was Rhys Millen. He was doing his own thing over at the Rio hotel. The same stunt he did last night he nearly died while practicing it last year. Great stunt, too. Just not nearly as climatic as the one by Robbie over at the Paris hotel. That was nuts.

"RL: I hate to be blunt, Robbie, but what do you actually have to do on New Year’s Eve to make sure you don’t die?" :laugh:

Exclusive Interviews, Part II: It’s Robbie (Maddison) vs. Robbie (Knievel)

Posted December 28, 2008 • 9:00 a.m.

scaled.R_Maddison_co_Vitek_Ludvik_Red_Bull_lo_t450.jpg?613272c032846e7268e57ee632edc6288efb17ce Robbie Maddison.

Photo: Vitek Ludvik/Red Bull

Two daredevil drivers will stare down death in about three days now with two mind-blowing stunts on the same live TV show from Las Vegas. It’s ESPN’s Red Bull-sponsored New Year No Limits. Both motorcyclist Robbie Maddison and truck driver Rhys Millen know they could die or be seriously injured for life on New Year’s Eve. Both men admit that they are “crazy” -- and both men know exactly what could happen if it all goes wrong. There is not one inch of margin for error.

Their show goes head-to-head with stunt daredevil Robbie Knievel’s Fox TV broadcast. Knievel will attempt to jump 200 feet through the thundering, fiery explosions of the new Mirage volcano. His “dice with death” takes place on the 41st anniversary of his father’s failed leap over the Caesars Palace fountains, which nearly cost him his life in winding up in a 29-day coma. Vegas DeLuxe will have our Robbie Knievel feature here before the Wednesday night dangers on opposite sides of the Strip.

For Robbie Maddison, it’s a personal war with Robbie Knievel! There is no love lost between the two motorcycle mavericks, as you will discover when you read on! Maddison will break all boundaries leaping for the first time in world history to the top of the Arc de Triomphe at our Paris Las Vegas on the Strip -- and then free-falling afterwards to the ground. He broke the Guinness World Record last New Year’s Eve at The Rio with a motorcycle leap of 322 feet over the length of an entire football field and has subsequently followed that with a record-breaking 378-foot jump Down Under in his home country of Australia.

Both ESPN Red Bull stunt stars head into Vegas today for their final preparations starting tomorrow. Both acts of insanity will be broadcast live in HD on the sports cable channel approximately 8 to 9 p.m. our local Pacific time (11 p.m. to midnight Eastern Time). It also will be simulcast on www.ESPN360.com, and tourists and locals are encouraged to watch both jumps, which are free to the hundreds of thousands of New Year’s Eve revelers before our midnight fireworks show.

scaled.maddison_2_co_robbie_maddison_t420.jpg?e2839eb8a119d4fa52c4ed1e5a2462d1b2132cb5 Photo: Chris Tedesco

Robbie Maddison.

At age 27, Robbie will have to jump more that 120 feet to land atop the 96-feet-high and 40-feet-wide Arc at the Paris. He’ll do a live TV interview from the top if the jump is successful and then free-fall 50 feet to the netted, ground ramp below. He says: “I believe that the dream that seems impossible will become a reality. I’m confident in my ability. And as I’ve practiced, I get more and more confident.”

Among the sports enthusiasts attending the jump will be Olympic gold medal snowboard king Shaun White and top motorcycle rider Travis Pastrana. Yesterday, we posted our candid conversation with Rhys Miller, who will be attempting to backflip an off-road truck in the parking lots of The Rio -- click HERE for that story -- and now we follow up with our chilling chat with Robbie.

I talked with Robbie on a break from his practice attempts at the Red Bull Compound training facility north of Los Angeles as he began packing up for the trip to Vegas. Our candid but frightening conversation began with the subject of fear!

Robin Leach: Do you know fear, or does the adrenaline rush from the stunt’s speed cover up the actual fear of fear?

Robbie Maddison: I definitely fear 100 percent. I’m fearful of what I do, but I have a means of understanding and dealing with it. I’ve just developed that ability to forget fear during 22 years of riding motorcycles. In advance, though, I have a lot of fear. This jump has already made me physically sick. I actually vomited the day that I was trying to get it through my head that I was about to take this jump. I went weak in the knees and had to bend over and spew. That’s been part of the process of pushing myself to do it -- you know when my head is telling me not to do it, but my heart and my dreams are telling me to do it. And just getting the two to join forces has been a beating itself.

scaled.Robbie_Maddison_Rio_jump_cr_Garth_Milan-_Red_Bull_t420.jpg?e2839eb8a119d4fa52c4ed1e5a2462d1b2132cb5 Photo: Garth Milan/Red Bull

Robbie Maddison.

RL: Robbie, tell me, of the two parts of this stunt, which is the most dangerous and why? Is it flying to the top of the Arc de Triomphe or getting down from it?

RM: I would say going up. I mean they’re both terrifying, but going up is the most fearful because no matter how hard I work toward it, a mechanical failure or even a slight mistake on my behalf can make me collide into the building and not make a full height. Or if I fade off to the right-hand side, like I did in practice, there is a chance that I could miss the rooftop altogether and fall all the way back down to the parking lot. The jump up is technically a tough jump, but the jump down, because it’s such low speed, is hard to calculate. Neither have been done before ever. The difference from landing perfectly in the transition and over-shooting and going a hundred feet to the ground is like a quarter of a fold, it’s barely any difference at all.

RL: How does one practice or rehearse for this when you can’t do it in advance on the actual site of the jump?

RM: Well what we did -- it’s actually an amazing structure itself -- we built a scaffolding replica of the building with a fully adjustable roof that I was able to jump at three quarters of its height and then build myself up to the full height. With that, we started to understand what the ramp was doing, we started to make angle changes, as we went higher and higher to give me my projected angle that I would need to land safely on top of the roof. I also had a mathematician with a working math calculation that could give us the full cast of angle of projection and give us a bit of indication where I’d land.

RL: I hate to be blunt, Robbie, but what do you actually have to do on New Year’s Eve to make sure you don’t die?

It was live. No 3-5 second delay. ESPN was plugged into his crew's mic. After he made the jump, one of the crew members yelled "Robbie, you are the "F'ing man!" They didn't say anything. The announcer just kept going like nothing happened.

It was live. No 3-5 second delay. ESPN was plugged into his crew's mic. After he made the jump, one of the crew members yelled "Robbie, you are the "F'ing man!" They didn't say anything. The announcer just kept going like nothing happened.

And afterwards right before he was interviewed, they were taking a look at his hand and he said something like "not F'ing now" to the guy trying to stop the bleeding.

I did. I thought for certain he was going to kill himself.

I thought it was hilarious that in the half an hour leading up to it they kept showing us all these slow motion simulations of what will happen if the slightest thing goes wrong, of course all of which show him falling to his death in a gruesome broken heap.

Wonder what he'll do next year?

~Bang

The simulations were funny. I also liked how they tirelessly went over the list of injuries he had suffered through the years including tearing his scrotum twice. Little bit too much info.

Archived