Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 Greek riots

China

2008 Greek riots

On the night of Saturday, December 6th, two Special Guards of the Greek police clashed with a small group of young men. The exact details of what took place are still unclear, but it is known that one of the Guards fired three shots, and one of those bullets caused the death of 15-year-old Alexander Grigoropoulos - whether the injury was made by an accidental ricochet or deliberate shot remains to be determined. The two Guards are now in jail awaiting trial, the shooter charged with homicide. This incident sparked an immediate and widespread response in the form of angry demonstrations and riots in many Greek cities that have continued at varying levels to this day - though dimming in intensity recently. Alexander's death appears to have been a catalyst, unleashing widespread Greek anger towards many issues - police mistreatment of protesters, unwelcome education reforms, economic stagnation, government corruption and more.

Click on the link for a series of photos

a08_17324009.jpg

A riot policeman is immersed in fire from a thrown molotov ****tail after a demonstration in central Athens on December 12, 2008. (Kostas Tsironis/AFP/Getty Images)

Am I mis-reading that picture? Or is the person in the L foreground dressed in black, possibly armored, wearing a helmet, and holding a Molotov ****tail?

If he is, then I'm wondering why he isn't being shot.

(Remembering Full Metal Jacket: "Why is Private Pyle out of his bunk? Why is Private Pyle holding that weapon? Why aren't you kicking Private Pyle's ***?")

Yah but these aren't ethnic minorities and immigrants as far as I can tell.

Everyone involved seems to have an 'opolis' in their name

Doesn't mean there still isn't a class division. I'm not really aware of the way things work in Greece, but it still doesn't surprise me.

Archived