Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and Zorn issue...?? PostGame 980 Report (MERGED)

CPAllTheWay012

This is what it comes down to.

Zorn has been frustrated by Portis' lack of participation in practice.

Portis was not going to have much success against Baltimore.

If Portis played the whole game, he likely woulda gotten nicked up again and had an excuse (albeit justified) to miss practice again.

So he shut him down for the 2nd half.

No, that's just not true. I watched this play about 10 times in replay slow motion on the Tivo. That was a clean wiff by Samuels. It was the LT vs. the RDE, and the RDE went right around Samuels and got to Campbell.

I don't know if Portis was supposed to chip on him, but that was a 1-1 matchup, and Samuels lost.

it is true, cp was suppose to stay in the backfield and chip on the end then release on a delyed route. CP thought Samuels had suggs locked up and he went to release and the rest is history. Cp is a warrior though and is the heart of this team.

This is what it comes down to.

Zorn has been frustrated by Portis' lack of participation in practice.

Portis was not going to have much success against Baltimore.

If Portis played the whole game, he likely woulda gotten nicked up again and had an excuse (albeit justified) to miss practice again.

So he shut him down for the 2nd half.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Portis hasn't practiced because he's sacrificing his body in every single game. He's one of very few playing with heart, and that's why he's been a literal punching bag. He isn't practicing because the team NEEDS him on game day to win.

That's frustrating to Zorn?? We're better with Betts in there? How absurd.

Shut him down for the secon half? Why? Lose this game and it's season over! And.......now it IS over in terms of a playoff run.

People want to know why this team has no will to win and seems to quit? Look at Zorn's track record, and now his decision to yank CP.......and you'll understand the team's mentality. What sort of message do you think that sent when we all know CP is an emotional leader.

What an amazingly stupid decision on Zorn's part. But are you really all that surprised?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Portis hasn't practiced because he's sacrificing his body in every single game. He's one of very few playing with heart, and that's why he's been a literal punching bag. He isn't practicing because the team NEEDS him on game day to win.

Shut him down for the secon half? Why? Lose this game and it's season over! And.......now it IS over in terms of a playoff run.

People want to know why this team has no will to win and seems to quit? Look at Zorn's track record, and now his decision to yank CP.......and you'll understand the team's mentality. What sort of message do you think that sent when we all know CP is an emotional leader.

What an amazingly stupid decision on Zorn's part. But are you really all that surprised?

I'm not saying that it was a good decision at all... But i'm pretty sure that was Zorn's reasoning in the whole situation.

I've been all over Zorn's nuts but he totally blew it in this game. Can't sit CP in this game with a chance to win it. :doh:

If anything you sit him next week against Cincy.

I swear if Zorn's hiring lead's to CP's leaving DC for good, I'll be more than pissed off. He's been my favorite player since we traded for him and I would be so upset. IMO he is a Skin at heart but a guy can only take so much. I really wanna see him retire a Skin, with hopefully a ring.

After his illegal shift penalty, he was pulled and I didn't see him again. For a brief moment, I saw Coach Zorn "more than talking" to him on the sideline.

Anyone else get the feeling that CP and Coach don't see eye to eye? Oil and water type of deal....?

I hate to say it, but I think that I agree with on you on this. There have been a few spats over the year. Whether it was during the preseason and urging Clinton to play and didn't want to get into it or one of the games where Clinton came off (Detroit I believe) and didn't tell Zorn what he was doing. There have been a couple of incidents now where you can say that there is a book on how Portis and Zorn interact. No one truly knows what went down, but they weren't saying on the post game that he was injured. They were saying stuff like he wasn't in practice the whole week and that is why they didn't play him. Well why did they feature him so early on and then not play him late when they could have used him as decoy at a minimum? He is their/our best blocker that isn't a lineman yet they continued to use Sellers and Betts on third down.

I do bellieve that there is a minor rift developing between Zorn and Portis, but only time will prove this theory correct. I hope that there is not, because Portis is a great player, but I think that he is frustrated. I also happen to belive that the coaching has been subpar. Zorn can come out and say all this stuff about Jason Campbell and missing plays that he should have made, but he should own up. I saw him say on the one fourth down where they went for it and asked "What down is it?" He doesn't know what down it is? He uses timeouts all the time like they are something to throw away. All the mismanaged timeouts at the end of the half could have been adavantageous for us, but he missed that. Come on Zorn, if you are going to dish it out to your players, take some responsiblity. The coaching staff put a center to play tackle out on one of the best rushing LBs in the game? The punt coverage and punt returns have been terrible. The defense can't generate pressure. Before we start going after players and what they aren't doing well, what about the coaches putting them into position to do well in the begining.

Portis is hurting this team right now b/c he's not healthy. He isn't 100% or close to it, he isn't practicing, and it seems like he's becoming a bit of poison. I think that it all started with calling out the O line, him yelling at B-Mitch, crying about his injuries, and just overall acting like a prima donna. Winning pushes that elephant out of the room and into a closet until the team starts losing. Now that they're losing, the elephant has returned, so to speak. But Portis is the least of the Redskins' worries right now.

The health of the O line, them being run blockers by trade, and now that they are so banged up has everything to do with the rise and fall of the Skins running game and Portis and everything that comes along with him. Without a line, Portis looks average. With a line, Portis, IMO...don't blast me, is average. He fights for yards, he's a great pass protector, but he obviously can't be a power Back b/c he get's injured trying to be a "bruiser." He can't break off the big gain b/c he isn't fast or shifty enough. So, he's just an average Back that goes as the O line goes. I love his heart, but he needs help from his "supporting" cast.

If you're going to play Portis like a Barber or Jacobs, which is how they play him, give him a scat Back to stretch the D and a young athletic line with fresh bodies that aren't limited in their running schemes and pass pro ability. It's so funny to watch Kendall and Thomas try to pull, and I've noticed that lately Zorn doesn't even try to pull those guys in the run game anymore. As most of the diehards' will tell you, it starts and ends with the trenches. Portis isn't needed for this team to be successful. Love Portis, but whether he plays or not is irrelevant on this team considering the roster as it is now. Being old and thin in the NFL is a problem if it defines the majority of your roster. :doh:

I hate to say it, but I think that I agree with on you on this. There have been a few spats over the year. Whether it was during the preseason and urging Clinton to play and didn't want to get into it or one of the games where Clinton came off (Detroit I believe) and didn't tell Zorn what he was doing. There have been a couple of incidents now where you can say that there is a book on how Portis and Zorn interact. No one truly knows what went down, but they weren't saying on the post game that he was injured. They were saying stuff like he wasn't in practice the whole week and that is why they didn't play him. Well why did they feature him so early on and then not play him late when they could have used him as decoy at a minimum? He is their/our best blocker that isn't a lineman yet they continued to use Sellers and Betts on third down.

I do bellieve that there is a minor rift developing between Zorn and Portis, but only time will prove this theory correct. I hope that there is not, because Portis is a great player, but I think that he is frustrated. I also happen to belive that the coaching has been subpar. Zorn can come out and say all this stuff about Jason Campbell and missing plays that he should have made, but he should own up. I saw him say on the one fourth down where they went for it and asked "What down is it?" He doesn't know what down it is? He uses timeouts all the time like they are something to throw away. All the mismanaged timeouts at the end of the half could have been adavantageous for us, but he missed that. Come on Zorn, if you are going to dish it out to your players, take some responsiblity. The coaching staff put a center to play tackle out on one of the best rushing LBs in the game? The punt coverage and punt returns have been terrible. The defense can't generate pressure. Before we start going after players and what they aren't doing well, what about the coaches putting them into position to do well in the begining.

The more I think about it......the more I believe that Zorn is pretty darn arrogant. Portis wants to win..........clearly that's why he's sacrificing himself. Most guys as beat up as he is would pack it in.........but not Clinton. The guy is like the Energizer Bunny.

No doubt he's telling Zorn what would work, and Zorn is taking offense to the "coaching" from one of his players.

If he runs CP out of town........I will be beside myself. Hopefully Danny boy will put an end to that with a quickness.

Honestly, if Zorn stays and you were CP..........why would you hang around? Not sure I would.

Portis is hurting this team right now b/c he's not healthy. He isn't 100% or close to it, he isn't practicing, and it seems like he's becoming a bit of poison. I think that it all started with calling out the O line, him yelling at B-Mitch, crying about his injuries, and just overall acting like a prima donna. Winning pushes that elephant out of the room and into a closet until the team starts losing. Now that they're losing, the elephant has returned, so to speak. But Portis is the least of the Redskins' worries right now.

The health of the O line, them being run blockers by trade, and now that they are so banged up has everything to do with the rise and fall of the Skins running game and Portis and everything that comes along with him. Without a line, Portis looks average. With a line, Portis, IMO...don't blast me, is average. He fights for yards, he's a great pass protector, but he obviously can't be a power Back b/c he get's injured trying to be a "bruiser." He can't break off the big gain b/c he isn't fast or shifty enough. So, he's just an average Back that goes as the O line goes. I love his heart, but he needs help from his "supporting" cast.

If you're going to play Portis like a Barber or Jacobs, which is how they play him, give him a scat Back to stretch the D and a young athletic line with fresh bodies that aren't limited in their running schemes and pass pro ability. It's so funny to watch Kendall and Thomas try to pull, and I've noticed that lately Zorn doesn't even try to pull those guys in the run game anymore. As most of the diehards' will tell you, it starts and ends with the trenches. Portis isn't needed for this team to be successful. Love Portis, but whether he plays or not is irrelevant on this team considering the roster as it is now. Being old and thin in the NFL is a problem if it defines the majority of your roster. :doh:

CP is average?

Honestly, I have no words for this post.:pooh:

Honestly, if Zorn stays and you were CP..........why would you hang around? Not sure I would.

Uh....Money????

This whole why would portis hang around garbage is just dumb.

He is under contract.

If the Redskins feel he isn't a good teammate, they release him. If they like him they keep him. Portis isn't "hanging around" he is getting paid.

Uh....Money????

This whole why would portis hang around garbage is just dumb.

He is under contract.

If the Redskins feel he isn't a good teammate, they release him. If they like him they keep him. Portis isn't "hanging around" he is getting paid.

True, but let's not be naive. If CP made it known he was unhappy in DC......he could potentially expedite his own departure, contract or not.

I agree with you in principal, though.

True, but let's not be naive. If CP made it known he was unhappy in DC......he could potentially expedite his own departure, contract or not.

I agree with you in principal, though.

True, he could let it be known he is unhappy. But the Redskins are paying him well and I doubt any other team would pay him more. Todays players are about how big their contracts are not for the love of the game.

True, he could let it be known he is unhappy. But the Redskins are paying him well and I doubt any other team would pay him more. Todays players are about how big their contracts are not for the love of the game.

I agree but IMO not as much for CP. He LOVES the game and gives all he's got every week. He gets paid how much he does because he's a great player and great players get paid well. it's not his fault.

He'll take pay cuts if he has too, if it means making this team more successful and that's what I love about him. He's a warrior and despite his attitude sometimes getting a tad out of hand, I wouldn't take any other back in the NFL over him.

Portis knows we can win by using our running game, pulling the guards, counter trays, etc. He knows this because we won last year using them.

Zorn wants to implement his dink-n-donk west coast offense which is not working. Portis probably told him so and that's that.

I miss Gibbs!

I agree but IMO not as much for CP. He LOVES the game and gives all he's got every week. He gets paid how much he does because he's a great player and great players get paid well. it's not his fault.

He'll take pay cuts if he has too, if it means making this team more successful and that's what I love about him. He's a warrior and despite his attitude sometimes getting a tad out of hand, I wouldn't take any other back in the NFL over him.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti Portis. I just think it's silly to think he gets frustrated and walks.

He is a warrior, he wants to win, and I am sure he is frustrated with whats going on. Players know the grass isn't greener elsewhere other than green in $$$. The NFL is full of mediocre teams and winning isn't insured on any team.

CP will probably take a page out of the Shawn Springs guide on how to deal with injuries after this one.

Zorn is done. He is about to lose the respect of the team if he hasn't already. I am sure Dan has already called him into the principle's office to have a Norv style post game conference.

I am pretty down on Zorn right now.

Last night we had a delay of game, followed by a timeout out, followed by a play for negative yards. He had several minutes to get a play called and we get minus yards. That sequence has occurred a few times this year.

How on earth you need to spend a timeout out after a penalty is beyond me.

I am pretty sure every Redskin and Redskin coach is pised right now.

They are losing.You get frustrated...You want to know WHY you are losing.

It seems to me that JZ's FAVORITE player is CP...

CP loves the ball and he is getting it and the yards this year.

The offense was getting better week after week and then...It stalled.

CP loved the Redskins and just wants to win.He isn't going anywhere !!

Now...If we ignore the O-line issues ...I suspect he could become very unhappy.But...If we ignore O-line issues...EVERYONE will be unhappy.

Archived