Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will the real Fred Davis please STEP UP

fire3fighter4

With all of our offensive problems theres been a lot of talk about getting Thomas and Kelly involved more...In my opinion this has caused us to forget about Mr. Fred Davis. Coming out of college he was suppose to be a very good pass catching TE. With our offense struggling as of late, why haven't we seen 2 TE sets with Cooley and Davis? So far hes only got one catch on the year for 6 yards, and his end around for -3 yards. Just me personally, but I think it's time to start getting him on the field and some passes thrown his way a little more.:logo:

Thoughts?

I thought Cooley might be traded this offseason with the aquisition of Fred Davis. I hope Im wrong, but thats kinda what I see on the horizon. FD is in the same mold as Cooley and Yoder is the man as a blocking TE. I hope Im wrong and they can both rotate... we will see.

I think Zorn came out and said recently that Davis just hasn't learned the playbook. I think Davis is obviously more talented than Yoder, and that it's a serious indictment of his preparation that Yoder continues to play and Davis is inactive.

Ive heard from preseason on, that Yoder was the better blocker and with our swiss cheese line, Yoder is needed.

It all comes down to our pathetic blocking, Yoder is a blocking TE and we need him on the field to give Campbell an extra tenth of a second to find a receiver. If we attempted a Davis/Cooley set with both running a route, Campbell would be sacked almost instantly. Supposedly, Davis has appeared in 8 games with one start but I only saw him once myself on that botched end-around in week 2.

I thought Cooley might be traded this offseason with the aquisition of Fred Davis. I hope Im wrong, but thats kinda what I see on the horizon. FD is in the same mold as Cooley and Yoder is the man as a blocking TE. I hope Im wrong and they can both rotate... we will see.

no way cooley is goin to another team.

I think Zorn came out and said recently that Davis just hasn't learned the playbook. I think Davis is obviously more talented than Yoder, and that it's a serious indictment of his preparation that Yoder continues to play and Davis is inactive.

IMHO, it's an indictment of either the coaching staff or the people who drafted him. Davis played in a pro-style offense at USC and performed at a very high level there. In fact, his SR year, he was the go-to receiver. His winning the Mackey Award as the best college TE was no fluke.

And, @ USC, he was playing against good competition most every week, so that can't be an excuse either.

The guy clearly has ability. Put him on the field. Call some plays for him.

I'm tired of hearing these same excuses from Zorn for all 3 2nd round picks. I find it very interesting that all 3 have the same playbook issues when around the league, rookies like Desean Jackson, Donnie Avery, John Carlson, etc. are having no such issues and are making impacts on the field.

Drafting Fred Davis had nothing to do with getting rid of Cooley. It was supposed to be a formidable two tightend set.....and still could be.

But it hasnt happenend yet.....I just dont get how our Rookies are so bad at learning the playbook.....Zorn makes them out to be complete idiots.

Are they?

Drafting Fred Davis had nothing to do with getting rid of Cooley. It was supposed to be a formidable two tightend set.....and still could be.

But it hasnt happenend yet.....I just dont get how our Rookies are so bad at learning the playbook.....Zorn makes them out to be complete idiots.

Are they?

My thoughts exactly...as my post above states. Pure dumb luck would dictate that at least one of the 3 would be making an impact his rookie year. To have none of them on the field making plays puts the onus on either the coaching staff for not preparing them or the front office people who drafted them in the first place without investigating their abilities to contribute as Redskins.

I agree, I don't think getting rid of Cooley was ever an option. Davis seemed to me to be a luxury pick, like Dallas picking F. Jones in the first round to touch the ball maybe 10 times a game. It thought it was odd at the time considering how many need areas we had that we were making a luxury pick.

He just signed an extension. He's not going anywhere, especially with all the support he gets from fans. He's a huge boost to the team in more ways than just on the fied.

This was an inexcusable draft choice. Vinny's "we wanted to take a linemen but Davis was rated higher" excuse is nonsense. He always falls back on that one when he doesn't take a linemen early in the draft.

It's no mystery why we keep getting pushed around in the trenches. Vinny doesn't believe in building from the inside out.

He'll make his breakthrough, along with Thomas and Kelly. The Skins are just bad at player rotation and it shows with deep jump ball passes thrown to ARE and sideline passes thrown to DT and MK...just no real excuse!

If it's not with the Redskins, these players will find their nitches somewhere else!

I'm tired of hearing these same excuses from Zorn for all 3 2nd round picks. I find it very interesting that all 3 have the same playbook issues when around the league, rookies like Desean Jackson, Donnie Avery, John Carlson, etc. are having no such issues and are making impacts on the field.

I'm wondering the same thing. I think it's BS by Zorn. I just think he's a little old school (like G. Allen) and just doesn't trust rookies and that's his excuse. I believe if all 3 had been playing like Royal, Carlson, Avery or Jackon all year, we may have been fighting the Giants for the division title.

I'm wondering the same thing. I think it's BS by Zorn. I just think he's a little old school (like G. Allen) and just doesn't trust rookies and that's his excuse. I believe if all 3 had been playing like Royal, Carlson, Avery or Jackon all year, we may have been fighting the Giants for the division title.

Even Kelly and Thomas have been on the field and had some balls thrown their way...

Outside of the 1 or 2 passes thrown his way and the failed reverse, I really don't remember seeing him involved in a play..

He just signed an extension. He's not going anywhere, especially with all the support he gets from fans. He's a huge boost to the team in more ways than just on the fied.

I hope you are right. I love Cooley and think he is a piller in this storm, but im worried about what happens in our off seasons, they tend to get a little wild sometimes.

I would have been pleased if they played like Jordy Nelson and James Hardy this season. They dont have to be world beaters off the start, they just have to make contributions. For the record though, we should have nabbed Nelson and Hardy and had the twin towers running around with El and Moss and Cooley. Thats just me though.

Archived