Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we move Taylor to OLB with Washington out?

chaught76

Taylor is obviously a weak-spot in our run defense. Every time we put him in, he gets pushed around, so I had the following thought: move him to weak-side LB.

Rocky is flexible, strong, and athletic enough to play the strong side in Washington's absence, so we shift him over and use Taylor in his spot. Jason is athletic enough to cover most TEs and some RBs in coverage and having him and Carter line-up on the same side with there speed would definitely cause some matchup problems.

I only suggest this because the obvious solution is to play him in passing situations only and give Evans or James his spot, which would be a waste of his talent.

Looking forward to your feedback.

HTTR!!!:helmet:

Peace.

If he's moved, switch him with Carter. Switching guys out of position is more difficult than one would think. That may be part of the problem now since he's already playing out of position with Carter in his normal position. Moving him back to linebacker wouldn't really work, IMO.

Course, the fact that Taylor has never played OLB outside of occasionally dropping back into coverage hasn't really occurred to you. While Taylor certainly has the physical ability, having the knowledge would be equally important, which he doesn't have.

You are correct in that it is not his natural position, but he did play some OLB in certain packages in Miami.

So does Washington's FO have to conceed they used a 2nd round draft pick for a 30+ year old situation pass rusher that is weak against the run?

I can't see us moving Carter now. Besides, he has more long-term potential than Taylor does, why screw with a reliable and consistent contributor on our defense with one who probably won't be here next year?

I was just trying to think up ways we can effectively use Taylor's skills on the field. Thanks for all your comments.

JT would be such a liability in coverage and run pursuit, there isn't an Ocordinator out there that wouldn't exploit him all day long... I can say with confidence this is something blache would never ever do...

I also wouldn't move rocky anywhere... this is the first year he's been on the same page as the scheme, guys just don't pick up new positions like they do in madden... rocky worked tirelessly with GW to learn the position and is doing well in it, switching him to strong would probably be a huge setback and I don't know that he would physically be a fit for that position...

JT would be such a liability in coverage and run pursuit, there isn't an Ocordinator out there that wouldn't exploit him all day long... I can say with confidence this is something blache would never ever do...

I also wouldn't move rocky anywhere... this is the first year he's been on the same page as the scheme, guys just don't pick up new positions like they do in madden... rocky worked tirelessly with GW to learn the position and is doing well in it, switching him to strong would probably be a huge setback and I don't know that he would physically be a fit for that position...

Taylor is getting crushed against the run and isn't showing up much in passing downs, so how isn't he already a liability? If we were to flip and Carter, does everyone think Carter is more potent at the strong side point of attack?

I want to see the guy succeed, and thought a thread about how we could more effectively use his talents would an interesting discussion. I am not advocating turning our defense in a Madden unit; simply looking for a good discussion on how to maximize Taylor and our other talents for our defense.

Actually Taylor won his MVP award with Miami when he played in the 3 -4 mostly as a line backer and they moved him around. I want to see fincher in there also. We could also use Springs as a Safety and Move Horton on the line, I have noticed we have done that on Nickel and he has been a good run stopper. I think we can do many things, I just hope Blanche will be more agressive and more unpredictable agaisnt the Giants.

So Kiwi can make the switch no problem as likely a few others have, but since Taylor is a Redskin that makes any changes to scheme and position near impossible? I don't quite understand that - we have plenty of guys that could possibly make for great OLB/DE's. It's football guys, not cold fusion science. These guys have played it all their lives - and Blache has been around football for thirty years. Changes can be made and IMO they should.

He played well against backups. You probably think we should start Colt Brennan and Marcus Mason too.

He could play just as well against the first string but you will never know until he gets some reps. If you use your logic no one would ever get a chance because they only excelled agaist the second string. GEEZ how will anyone ever become a starter

So Kiwi can make the switch no problem as likely a few others have, but since Taylor is a Redskin that makes any changes to scheme and position near impossible? I don't quite understand that - we have plenty of guys that could possibly make for great OLB/DE's. It's football guys, not cold fusion science. These guys have played it all their lives - and Blache has been around football for thirty years. Changes can be made and IMO they should.

A couple things: I wouldn't say Kiwi made the switch with no problems. He struggled out there for a bit before picking it up. Also, it is easier to make such switches when you are younger and you have a full camp to adjust to the new position. It is never a good idea to throw a guy out there at a new position in the middle of the season.

You are correct in that it is not his natural position, but he did play some OLB in certain packages in Miami.

but in the 3-4, the OLB is also a pass rusher. look at demarcus ware in dallas, he is an OLB, but primarily a pass rusher. there are the occassional times that he goes out in coverage, but not often. same thing with adalius thomas in NE. so just cuz he played some OLB in a 3-4 scheme doesnt mean he can take it in a 4-3. it really is two different positions.

that said. move taylor to LB, but DONT switch rocky. let taylor take over washingtons LB spot where he can still rush. and he wont be right on the line so he has more space to get around blocks in the run game, that way he wont be as much as a liability.

A couple things: I wouldn't say Kiwi made the switch with no problems. He struggled out there for a bit before picking it up. Also, it is easier to make such switches when you are younger and you have a full camp to adjust to the new position. It is never a good idea to throw a guy out there at a new position in the middle of the season.

Agreed Kiwi made the switch after having the whole offseason and training camp to prepare to play OLB. The comparison to JT and Kiwi are not appropriate in this case.

Having JT in any sort of coverage that is slightly more involved than dropping into a zone is down right scary. I would shudder seeing JT trying to run downfield with a TE like Witten/Boss or a RB out of the backfield like Westbrook. I know we could scheme to protect him from that but there will be situations where it happens and that one big play can make all the difference in a close ball game.

Blache was the d-line coach before he became coordinator. It seems to me that he would not be so willing to part with his stud pass rusher, who has all of one sack this season. That said, I don't think our linebacking core is that solid. Fletcher is awesome. Rocky gets caught out of position a lot. And Washington, though he is a solid player, has had better seasons. I'd like to see this happen with Taylor, but I don't see how he has been working on pass rushing technique all season, and he is supposed to go and play linebacker and learn that position, even though he did so in Miami.

I mean honestly, we won't even make the playoffs unless Blache figures out how to pressure a QB.

Has anyone seen Landry on blitzes this season? He was stellar at it in college, and he is one of the best playmakers on the D, yet he is typically furthest from the ball. It seems like Landry could be used more effectively. It seems like maybe a few of our defensive players could be used more effectively...

beyond that, I think the real issue with our pass rush is with the tackles, and they need to generate some push up the middle. Here's to hoping that Montgomery returns this week.

JT said that he has 2 and a half seasons of linebacker experience from playin with the phins. He also said that he won defensive player of the year as a linebacker, not a d-end.

EDIT: Not sayin i agree with the notion, just that sum ppl have said he doesn't have linebacking experience when he actually does.

Archived