Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ohalayte

I really don't understand what' s not to like about Ohalete. I thought he played very well last year, especially at the end of the season and especially as a rookie. He hits hard and appeared to put himself in position to make plays and interceptions. I didn't understand the fo emphasis on our needing to get a strong safety during the draft, when it seems like a pass rushing prescence on the defensive line would be a much bigger priority and need. Here is an article from the Washington Times re: Ohalete (and Barker, who I understand) on the bubble. What do others think about the Ohalete? What do others think is the bigger need on defense, strong safety or pass rushing DE/DT?

Ohalete, Barker battling for jobs

Jody Foldesy

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Published May 2, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Punter Bryan Barker and safety Ifeanyi Ohalete are among the Washington Redskins whose jobs could be on the line as a highly anticipated three-day minicamp opens today.

Barker, coming off his worst season, and Ohalete, whom the Redskins have sought to replace, can make important arguments for the club to hold off signing any veterans before training camp.

Team officials will be scrutinizing those players and getting their first look at how 13 new veterans, three draft picks and 12 undrafted rookies mesh with the holdovers in five scheduled practices that are mandatory for players and closed to the public.

"This weekend is the beginning of our 2003 season," coach Steve Spurrier said yesterday. "We're excited to see what kind of team we have. Obviously, a lot of work has to be done before we play the real season, but we're real excited."

Tight end and backup outside linebacker are among the other spots that could get a veteran addition if current Redskins struggle. But personnel director Vinny Cerrato has estimated "95 percent" of the final roster is in-house, and clearly many roster spots have been determined by the cash and draft picks the club spent to fill them.

Among the highest-profile newcomers are wide receiver Laveranues Coles (seven years, $35 million, plus a first-round pick), guard Randy Thomas (seven years, $28 million), wide receiver Taylor Jacobs (drafted in the second round) and running back Trung Canidate (traded for a fourth-round pick).

"We're confident that [those players are] going to be on our team and be major contributors to what we do this year," Spurrier said. "There's probably not as many openings as a lot of teams would have and certainly not as many as we had last year. So it's a matter of learning what to do and learning to play smarter and just becoming a better team."

And for some, such as Barker and Ohalete, it's a matter of proving themselves. The Redskins still have plenty of time to add free agents, and a new group of available players will enter the market after June 1. Barker and Ohalete, however, said they aren't feeling pressure.

"I don't think [this is] different from any other year that I've played in the league," Barker said. "When you play professional football, we always have to believe there are hundreds of guys out there trying to take your job. You have to prepare for each season like you're in for a battle."

Last season ended prematurely but fittingly for Barker, who compiled the NFL's worst net average (30.0 yards) before suffering an open nasal fracture Thanksgiving Day at Dallas. He was cleared to work out in January and is eager to re-establish the form he has displayed through most of his career.

"I would like to think I'm the punter that I've been for the previous 13 years with the exception of a few punts last year," Barker said. "What I had done up to that point is something I'm going to try to build on this year."

Young punters Brent Bartholomew and Mike Barr will be among eight players auditioning this weekend, though they are competing for a spot in training camp, not for Barker's job per se. But the club could turn to a veteran like Tom Tupa if Barker struggles.

Ohalete, a 2001 undrafted rookie, won Sam Shade's strong safety job midway through last season, but the team remained interested in upgrading. It passed on Ohio State's Mike Doss in the draft last weekend when Jacobs was available, and Ohalete now has a chance to bolster his stock. David Terrell and Andre Lott also are vying for his job.

"You've always got to prove yourself every year," Ohalete said. "I guess last year was a start, but they didn't see enough of what they wanted to see. All I can do is go into this camp, show what I can do again, and hopefully that makes their decision where they don't have to go out and find somebody."

Most scrutinized among the returning players will be second-year quarterback Patrick Ramsey, considered the X-factor as expectations for this team rise. Ramsey, the unquestioned starter ahead of newly signed Rob Johnson, estimates he has gone through 15 or 16 three-hour sessions with coaches to prepare for this weekend.

"I think I've prepared myself as well as I could have prepared myself," Ramsey said. "I want to be as successful as I possibly can be, but time will tell how all that works out. I am excited to get out there on the field."

Notes — Unsigned veteran linebacker Eddie Mason will not participate and is making contingency plans for his future. If several young players disappoint, the Redskins could re-sign Mason, a key part of special teams in recent years. His shoulder, which underwent offseason surgery, isn't 100 percent but could be for training camp. ...

Wide receiver Cliff Russell is ready for full practices after tearing his knee in last year's training camp. Guard Tre Johnson (hamstring) and defensive end Greg Scott (ankle) could be limited. Defensive tackle Del Cowsette, who is healing from wrist surgery, will be limited. Linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, who tore his knee Thanksgiving Day, won't do much. ...

The Redskins hired Julia Payne, a former press secretary for President Bill Clinton, as vice president of communications.

The reason Ohalete was not drafted was that he regressed in performance his senior season at USC from his junior year. He had nagging injuries, however, so it is hard to judge how big a factor this was, but it certainly didn't help him.

Reportedly the weakest part of his game is that he only has average speed at best. However, when he returned that interception last year 78 yards for a touchdown, he didn't look slow to me. :laugh: Reportedly he only runs a 4.65 forty, but I have never been able to confirm that anywhere, as he was not invited to the combine. With the FO emphasis on speed, I guess that is the reason they are looking for an upgrade.

In spite of his so-called lack of speed, Ohalete showed some playmaking ability last year and has proven in the past that he is a very good special team's player. So it would be foolish to cut him without an adequate replacement. At the very least he would make a decent backup and with more experience, his play should improve. :D

I really don't understand this. All offseason people have been talking about upgrading at safety, Well I can understand at FS, but Iffy really played well last year. It seemed like he was the only guy making big plays on D. Lott or Terrell would be a step in reverse at SS, especially Terrell. I'm glad we didn't take Doss, b/c I think that Iffy might wind up being the better all around player. If we had a decent passrush our secondary would look like worldbeaters.

Iffy always seems to be around the ball. I guess speed is an issue here, but hes a playmaker. I'll leave it to others to debate how well he plays in coverage but I like him. He's young and hungry. I wonder if being a Marty guy is hurting him with the FO....

why is this in tailgate? i think the might be some glitch because this thread is listed in tailgate but when i click on it says its listed in fed ex.

But on topic Ohalete was a very highly recruited high school player. There was an article of what happened to the "all-prep" teams from several years back. Ohalete was considered one of the top 5 DBs coming out of high school.

I hope that Iffy sort of becomes the next Neil Olkiewitz. I know Neil was a linebacker, but every year people said, too slow, too short, not strong enough whatever and in the end he was glue, tough and a great player. Iffy has the knack to make plays or at least he seems to find the play pretty often. Besides, he's the underdog that made it, gotta root for that.

Iffy's the safety version of Shawn Barber. A guy whose measurables are lacking in some respects, but who plays his heart out and always seems to make plays and be around the ball. I don't understand the criticism either.

Thank you for this thread! I thought I was the only iffy backer here!

I think that if he cuts he will turn into yet another ex-redskin that makes plays for another team. Can't the FO start retaining their own talent for once?

Originally posted by redman

Iffy's the safety version of Shawn Barber. A guy whose measurables are lacking in some respects, but who plays his heart out and always seems to make plays and be around the ball. I don't understand the criticism either.

Good call, that's very true. I, for one, would love to have Sean Barber back and I think that we would regret letting Iffy go if we did.

I watched the saints game from last year last night, and from that game, there are some serious reasons to consider demoting ohalete.

In the beginning of when everything was going terribly, he had the taunting penalty which gave the saints a touchdown. But I think the bigger deal was his run support. Deuce just tore him up.

There was this one play, where we had a very strong weak side blitz. They ran right pulling a tackle and leading with a fullback. The tackle took out the linebacker (LA) and the fullback took out champ. Deuce startsrunning for daylight and you can see iffy overprsue to the inside, and deuce runs tight by him. Champ eventually catches him from behind after a fourty yard gain.

My point is, on a play like that, There are only two blockers. The safety should have been in that hole ready to stop deuce for a 2-3 yard gain, but instead iffy was in totally the wrong spot.

Granted, david terell looked even worse in this game, but ohalete, despite his one big play, was a big part of the reason the D wasn't able to keep the game close int he second half.

Having said all that, I think he deserves a shot. He elevated his play considerable over the course of the year, and If he gets better (which he should) he could be a good player. However, the lack of speed at safety is a big problem for this teams defense, and I think It might be the bigger problem than even the D-line.

-DB

Consider the fact that the Redskins continually told the Post and Times and anyone else that would listen that they would draft a safety and a defensive lineman.

Ohalette did show himself well last year. Could be they are 'motivating' him. But then again, they just flat out cut Kato Serwanga. How nasty would it be to have Ohalette and Serwanga cracking heads back there?

oUcH.

~Bang

Upgrade Terrell's spot before doing iffy's. but then maybe that's what bowen will do...

that was iffy's first year as starter. And once again picking up a new system.

If you are willing to give Davis time to grow into a RB spot, or Gardner time to grow into the WR spot, let's see how Iffy improves.

Originally posted by Phat Hog

I think Bowen and Iffy' will split reps during the season depending on the offensive situation. Terrell can pack his bags whenever he's ready!

Except that they re-signed him. However, we could take him on a 'hunting trip'. :)

~Bang

Originally posted by DrunkenBoxer

I watched the saints game from last year last night, and from that game, there are some serious reasons to consider demoting ohalete.

There was this one play, where we had a very strong weak side blitz. They ran right pulling a tackle and leading with a fullback. The tackle took out the linebacker (LA) and the fullback took out champ. Deuce startsrunning for daylight and you can see iffy overprsue to the inside, and deuce runs tight by him. Champ eventually catches him from behind after a fourty yard gain.

Ohalete is very inconsistent. People seem to like him because he's a playmaker: our CBs don't go for many INTs, and Terrell was terrible, so Ohalete's occasional INTs and hits stood out in people's minds.

Ohalete's biggest problem is taking poor angles and being out of position. Now, Terrell seemed to do that on almost every play, so Ohalete still looks better. But Ohalete still had to be one of the least reliable safeties in football -- and an "unreliable safety" is an oxymoron. :)

I haven't given up on Ohalete, and the defense is hardly doomed if he's the starter. But based on last year's performance, he has to be one of the worst of the planned starting 11 -- the front office was right to see if they could make Ohalete a backup and find a higher quality starter.

...then again, it was Iffy's first year as the starter. his defensive coordinator looked at him and looked at Sam Shade (who did everything well but cover) and decided he liked Iffy better. while Terrell has had many more starts and doesn't make enough plays, Iffy hasn't really had enough time to be written off yet.

by the way, Terrell can still be valuable as a nickel or dime corner an obviously special teams.

Archived