Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs: I think coach Zorn has been fantastic!

tone_dubbz

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-5-83/Gibbs-cheering-on-Redskins-from-afar.html

As the Redskins prepared to square off with the Pittsburgh Steelers on "Monday Night Football," their Hall of Fame former coach spent the day fishing in Texas. For Joe Gibbs, retirement from football may have finally taken.

He's still heavily involved with his NASCAR team, but his days of spending the night at the office are behind him. When we talked before the Steelers-Redskins game (Week 9), Gibbs sounded like any other fan (who happens to own three Super Bowl rings). He'd remained in Dallas for an extra day after a race at Texas Motor Speedway, and he'd made sure that one of his close friends had a leather sofa and plenty of soft drinks on hand.

"I've always been a good fan of football," he said. "In general, I don't drive myself crazy and get too technical with what's happening on TV. I can sort of sit back and enjoy football like anyone else."

Gibbs said he's thoroughly enjoyed seeing his former players have success under Jim Zorn, but he thought it was important to distance himself from the organization for a while.

"I'd been around so long," Gibbs said. "I just felt like it was important that a new coach not have me hanging around all the time. I think coach Zorn has been fantastic. He kept a lot of our guys together, and I think that's been really important. But I didn't want him asking, 'Is Joe looking over my shoulder?'"

Good article, havne't seenit posted yet.

The thing is, when people bash Gibbs, they forget how HORRIBLE we were before he came back. I mean, we were nothing, a joke. But then he came in and, although not as good as Gibbs I, still brought us back to respectability.

Not to mention he brought us through the darkest moment in franchise history, and he managed to keep together and have them rally to win 4 straight. Remarkable. I thought his coaching job last year validated his Hall of Fame status, indeed.

The thing is, when people bash Gibbs, they forget how HORRIBLE we were before he came back. I mean, we were nothing, a joke. But then he came in and, although not as good as Gibbs I, still brought us back to respectability.

Not to mention he brought us through the darkest moment in franchise history, and he managed to keep together and have them rally to win 4 straight. Remarkable. I thought his coaching job last year validated his Hall of Fame status, indeed.

ill 2nd that!:applause:

THE THING IS, WHEN PEOPLE BASH GIBBS, they forget how HORRIBLE we were before he came back. I mean, we were nothing, a joke. But then he came in and, although not as good as Gibbs I, still brought us back to respectability.

THE THING IS, WHEN PEOPLE BASH GIBBS,..... and STILL have the gaul to call themselves Redskins fans, they should be held up to public ridicule, publicly flogged, have their fan card removed, and then booted all the way down to Dallas were they'd fit RIGHT in. (I fixed the beginning for ya'. Luckily, I'm in a good mood today, or I'd say what I REALLY felt about the Gibbs dissers.).

Humble and gracious as ever Coach. Praise the Lord we have a guy in Zorn that's out of a very similar character mould as you. Keep enjoying your retirement, you've more than earned it.

:dallasuck Hail. :wewantd:

THE THING IS, WHEN PEOPLE BASH GIBBS,..... and STILL have the gaul to call themselves Redskins fans, they should be held up to public ridicule, publicly flogged, have their fan card removed, and then booted all the way down to Dallas were they'd fit RIGHT in. (I fixed the beginning for ya'. Luckily, I'm in a good mood today, or I'd say what I REALLY felt about the Gibbs dissers.).

Humble and gracious as ever Coach. Praise the Lord we have a guy in Zorn that's out of a very similar character mould as you. Keep enjoying your retirement, you've more than earned it.

:dallasuck Hail. :wewantd:

If pointing out the fact that Gibbs II was um...less then spectacular mean you're not a Skins fan then you need to check yourself. Our offense under Gibbs was trash, Brunnell trade was one of the worst QB aquisitions this side of Jeff George and if it wasn't for Gregg's defense we wouldn't sniff the playoffs. I'm a HUGE Skins fan(ask my g/f) but I'm not gonna pretend like Gibbs was anything more then very ordinary in his 2nd go round.

If pointing out the fact that Gibbs II was um...less then spectacular mean you're not a Skins fan then you need to check yourself. Our offense under Gibbs was trash, Brunnell trade was one of the worst QB aquisitions this side of Jeff George and if it wasn't for Gregg's defense we wouldn't sniff the playoffs. I'm a HUGE Skins fan(ask my g/f) but I'm not gonna pretend like Gibbs was anything more then very ordinary in his 2nd go round.

What did you expect to happen when Joe Gibbs came back? Did you expect every year to be 1991?

Do you even have any clue that the 2005 and 2007 seasons were more similar to most years in Gibbs' first tenure? They were decent to mediocre in the early/middle of the season, but absolutely OWNED December. Many of the Redskins teams in the '80s weren't particularly talented, but were tough as nails down the stretch.

Nice Avatar!

Damn, I haven't seem Bozo since I was a kid. Glad to have you back

Great article on Coach Gibbs. It was cool to see ESPN.com's Matt Mosley to write this just after Lavar had made those dumb comments on Coach.

Lots of good comments left by readers on the site. I left the following comment:

Coach Gibbs has always been someone I'd admired and I am not even from the DC area. I'm in SoCal! I would hope one day in my life I will be able to meet him. He's not only been great for the Redskins but for the NFL, period. Like the other poster said, enjoy your family and be proud of what you've accomplished.

HTTR!

Joe Gibbs sold his part of another franchise, uprooted his life and family, and came out of very comfortable retirement to return the Redskin franchise to respectablity for very ordinary (or less than ordinary) fans like you.

Gibbs thought he'd finally shut the door on his coaching career, but his son, J.D., volunteered him to serve as offensive coordinator for his grandson Jackson's 10-and-under football team. As you might imagine, Gibbs took his new role seriously. One day in practice, he walked into the White Storm's offensive huddle and showed them some cards on which he'd drawn several plays.

As he was explaining a running play, a 9-year-old interrupted to ask, "Did you draw those or buy them somewhere?"

Even Hall of Fame coaches get stumped every now and then.

"That was a great experience," said Gibbs. "I was used to messing up 30-year-olds, not 10-year-olds."

This is absolutely the coolest part of this article. I know when I played little league many years ago, that I would have just exploded having a Hall of Fame NFL coach as one of my coaches. The other side of that, that I really like is that Coach Gibbs doesn't feel like he isn't above doing anything. He's someone who is well grounded and the type of man that many of us hope to be.

Hope Joe Gibbs can come up here to FedEx for Dallas week!!

I'm not sure if he'll be in for the Dallas game but according to this article from Matt Mosely (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0...n-Nov--30.html), Coach Gibbs is planning to be in Washington for the Nov 30th game inducting ST in the Ring of Fame.

I agree, it would be great if he attends this Sunday night game.

Joe Gibbs sold his part of another franchise, uprooted his life and family, and came out of very comfortable retirement to return the Redskin franchise to respectablity for very ordinary (or less than ordinary) fans like you.

just to clarify, Gibbs didnt sell anything. It is his franchise and is called Joe Gibbs Racing. he just let his son handle business while he was here.

Archived