Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com poll "Best RB in NFC East"

Santana_Fan

You could make an argument for Westy but with the year Portis is having...it's hard not to give it to him.

1. Portis

2. Westbrook

3. Barber

4. Jacobs

Westbrook is a beast...I just don't see him as a RB. He's like a receiver IMO, being placed in the RB spot. Portis is pure RB. Westbrook may have started his own thing though.

Westbrook is a beast...I just don't see him as a RB. He's like a receiver IMO, being placed in the RB spot. Portis is pure RB. Westbrook may have started his own thing though.

I hear ya! But he does also run the ball effectively.

But the argument is: does he run the ball effectively because he's a big threat to receive the ball out of the backfield as well? You got a point though.....Portis a threat running the ball first and foremost.

I hear ya! But he does also run the ball effectively.

But the argument is: does he run the ball effectively because he's a big threat to receive the ball out of the backfield as well? You got a point though.....Portis a threat running the ball first and foremost.

Not to mention Portis is the best blocking RB in the league.

Westbrook is the best. CP has the best line.

I have to disagree with you on that one. In Philthy's best years, Westbrook was never much on running the ball and would barely get over 1000 yds a year on the ground. His yardage was combined yardage, ground and air as he excelled in the WCO.

He couldn't take the constant pounding, behind any line for 16 games and don't even compare his blocking skills to CP's.

Westbrook is a damn good RB but not at the level of Clinton Portis.

:dallasuck:eaglesuck:gaintsuck

I have to disagree with you on that one. In Philthy's best years, Westbrook was never much on running the ball and would barely get over 1000 yds a year on the ground. His yardage was combined yardage, ground and air as he excelled in the WCO.

He couldn't take the constant pounding, behind any line for 16 games and don't even compare his blocking skills to CP's.

Westbrook is a damn good RB but not at the level of Clinton Portis.

:dallasuck:eaglesuck:gaintsuck

These are all very good points. I just think most of it has to do with Westbrook's durability. If he could have successive healthy seasons, I think his rushing yardage would be somewhat close. But if you watch Philly, they don't run block very well. Westbrook is crazy good in the pass game, while Portis doesn't catch the ball too often. I don't know what it is, but when I watch Portis, almost every big run he gets is because there's a HUGE hole. He usually doesn't create long runs by himself. Don't get me wrong, he has great vision, but you usually won't see Portis have some of the sweet runs that Westbrook has. Now I'm not trying to talk smack about my Skins, because the LINE is what makes CP go. If you watch games where the line is getting beat, CP does NOTHING. 2 yard run, 1 yard run, 3 yard run, 1 yard loss, etc.

These are all very good points. I just think most of it has to do with Westbrook's durability. If he could have successive healthy seasons, I think his rushing yardage would be somewhat close. But if you watch Philly, they don't run block very well. Westbrook is crazy good in the pass game, while Portis doesn't catch the ball too often. I don't know what it is, but when I watch Portis, almost every big run he gets is because there's a HUGE hole. He usually doesn't create long runs by himself. Don't get me wrong, he has great vision, but you usually won't see Portis have some of the sweet runs that Westbrook has. Now I'm not trying to talk smack about my Skins, because the LINE is what makes CP go. If you watch games where the line is getting beat, CP does NOTHING. 2 yard run, 1 yard run, 3 yard run, 1 yard loss, etc.

Good point but if you remember when the Redskins were making that run to the playoffs and Saunders was calling a lot of plays with CP catching a lot of balls on screens and such, he looked great. It was similar to the same kind of offensive plays that Westbrook runs.

As far as when the line shuts down, so does CP, you are right to a point but the same goes for Westbrook, if not more.

The only difference being that Westbrook is getting all of those yards off of screens and dump off passes. That's a lot different than having to find a hole behind a bunch of 300 pound monsters in the backfield, something that Westbrook was never very good at and CP will keep pounding until either the o-line creates some holes or CP eventually finds them.

Archived