Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TRADE Suggestion: Fred Davis for Vernon Davis

LightenupSandyBaby

This has to be the most failed thread of the board in the past month or so!!!

Fred Davis has barely had a chance to play while behind Cooley and was productive all through out college.

Vernon Davis wasn't that great in college and was a "workout warrior". He hasn't done crap in the NFL. He is a super bust.

I think some of you guys are being too hard on the OP.

Obviously it won't happen but if the 49ers offered Vernon for Fred (excluding the difference between salaries) I would jump on that deal in a heartbeat.

Vernon has been inconsistent but he's really a good kid and is immensely talented.

I mean IMMENSELY!

Based on what? What talent have you seen?

This has to be the most failed thread of the board in the past month or so!!!

Fred Davis has barely had a chance to play while behind Cooley and was productive all through out college.

Fred Davis wasn't that great in college and was a "workout warrior". He hasn't done crap in the NFL. He is a super bust.

I'm assuming that 2nd "Fred" Davis was supposed to be "Vernon". Vernon was not a workout warrior. He was the real deal in college. He has all the physical tools to be a great, great player in the NFL. But there is a big, big difference between being great in college and being great in the pros. Vernon hasn't shown he's going to make the jump. He actually took a step backwards this year after having a pretty good 2nd half last year. From reports I've read even before this most recent incident he has clashed with coaches in all three seasons. I was a big fan of his at Maryland but I would pass on any trade offers that included Fred Davis unless he grows up quickly. Of course, if he does that San Fran won't be trading him anytime soon.

Obviously Vernon's performance on the field has been lacking but in terms physical attributes...he is off the charts.

Any knowledgeable football fan would know about the history of "workout warriors" and how that has panned out in the NFL.

Tony Mandarich, Mike Mamula, Boss Bailey, Matt Jones, Brian Bosworth...the list goes on.

Some players can't translate talent onto the field.

I'm assuming that 2nd "Fred" Davis was supposed to be "Vernon". Vernon was not a workout warrior. He was the real deal in college. He has all the physical tools to be a great, great player in the NFL. But there is a big, big difference between being great in college and being great in the pros. Vernon hasn't shown he's going to make the jump. He actually took a step backwards this year after having a pretty good 2nd half last year. From reports I've read even before this most recent incident he has clashed with coaches in all three seasons. I was a big fan of his at Maryland but I would pass on any trade offers that included Fred Davis unless he grows up quickly. Of course, if he does that San Fran won't be trading him anytime soon.

How was Vernon any better than Fred in college? He was a "workout warrior". Thats simply someone who launched their stock value because of an incredible workout performance and since then has not been productive in the NFL.

Any knowledgeable football fan would know about the history of "workout warriors" and how that has panned out in the NFL.

Tony Mandarich, Mike Mamula, Boss Bailey, Matt Jones, Brian Bosworth...the list goes on.

Some players can translate talent onto the field.

Which is why I stated that his performance on the field (so far) is not indicative of his athletic ability.

Vernon Davis Cap numbers

2008 $3,346,720

2009 $3,780,000

2010 $4,320,000

Why where at it lets throw in a few first round picks.

These cap charges are only accurate if he remains with the 49ers, since they include the pro-rated portions of all the guaranteed money they've paid him. If they traded him, the guaranteed money would accelerate, and we'd be on the hook for only his base salaries and any un-guaranteed roster bonuses. Since more than 60% of his rookie contract was made up of guaranteed money, I doubt he'd be expensive for us at all

As long as the money is there, this trade would seem to be a no-brainer. Vernon has more physical talent, far more NFL production (obviously), and is a top-notch blocker. Fred has shown nothing in his short time with the team, so it's not like we'd be losing anything.

To me, Vernon Davis would be the best #2 TE in football. Great blocking is key for a 2nd TE, and Vernon is great there. Also, in a 2nd TE, I'm looking for someone who can run after the catch and get open on quick-developing routes. Say what you will about Vernon being all talent...his physical tools are ideal for such a role.

I'd do the trade in a heartbeat. If we could convince the Niners to eat the cap hit, I think it could be a steal.

Fred Davis

YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

2004 4 30 7.5 15 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2005 13 145 11.2 24 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2006 38 352 9.3 25 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2007 62 881 14.2 63 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Vernon Davis

YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST

2003 5 59 11.8 28 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2004 27 441 16.3 46 3 1 -2 -2 -2 0 0 0

2005 51 871 17.1 73 6 1 7 7 7 0 0 0

Looks to me like their college careers were very comparable. One showed disrespect to his head coaches (Both Nolan and Singletary) and to his teammates (They were cheering what Singletary did) and the other slept too late during training camp and has not been on the field long enough to show us what he's got.

He hasn't had a chance to show much, but from what I can tell, Fred Davis is going to be a good one. Vernon Davis is just a former Maryland guy that everyone in the local area likes. He's just whatever to me. I'd rather have Fred "Sleepy" on my favorite team b/c Cooley is ten times the complete TE that Vernon Davis is. We need a compliment to Cooley, which we have, not a guy that will cry about his ops'. If Sleepy does that at some point in Washington, they'll trade him. He's cheap talent right now, so I'd much rather keep Fred Davis, no question. :2cents:

why would you even suggest that? we know Fred's potential. now he needs some catches and minutes to show what he is capable of. Vernon has bust written all over him.

I don't really agree with labeling Vernon a bust yet. this is just his third year and while he is struggling bad right now, his numbers last year weren't terrible for a second year tight end. over 50 catches and over 500 yards.

keep in mind he has had no one to throw to him in his 2+ years in the league. If he had JC tossing him the pig skin i'd bet he'd put up numbers similar to cooley.

with that said i would never even consider trading for Vernon....why would we want him? we already have cooley, Fred Davis is our rookie backup, there is no way any 3rd year 1st round draft pick would come in here and be happy about being a backup. Plus we probobly couldn't fit in his salary either.

Archived